Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Today's banner

WbranchJanuary 26th, 2010, 4:12 pm
York & Starlight PA

Jason,

As soon as I opened the site today I knew exactly where today's banner photo was taken. If anyone else on this forum knows where it is, and can provide not only the name of the river but also the section of the river, i.e. town closest to or exit on highway, I'll take that guy, or gal, on a drift boat float on the Delaware.

Edit by Jason: Since "today" is no longer today, I'm including a link to the image Wbranch is talking about: It's this one.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GutcutterJanuary 26th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Pennsylvania

matt
i admire a fisherman who stops to smell the roses. there are places that i've fished a hundred times - and i know every current seam and eddie throughout the whole pool, and how they cause drag. i know where the fish are and where they stack up during a hatch. i also know how to fish the entire pool without drag. but if you took a picture of that spot, i doubt i would recognize it. i guess these are the qualities (or problems) left over from my youth.
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
WbranchJanuary 27th, 2010, 2:55 am
York & Starlight PA

Tony,

"but if you took a picture of that spot, i doubt i would recognize it"

I consider myself not only an admirer of fly fishing but also an admirer of the beautiful environment in which we pursue the quarry. Often on cold winter nights I pick a stream, or river, in the Catskills, or Montana, and in my mind pick a stretch I've fished and travel it in my thoughts through every riffle, eddy, and pool, remembering not only the fish I've caught, or lost, but also where that big rock was that diverted the flow or where a fallen tree had been for decades. Those memories are wonderful and I cherish them as much as the trout.
FalsiflyJanuary 31st, 2010, 2:52 pm
Hayward, WI.

Today's banner 1/31/10 4:50 CST

That fence is no longer there.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WbranchJanuary 31st, 2010, 4:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Would you be willing to tell us where today's banner photo was taken?
FalsiflyFebruary 1st, 2010, 9:06 am
Hayward, WI.

Would you be willing to tell us where today's banner photo was taken?

On the same river as today’s banner. As a matter of fact I have caught many fish at this same spot. Notice the riffle in the center of the picture, now come left to the forefront along the bank; there is a deep cut here. One of the best spots in this view.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
FalsiflyFebruary 1st, 2010, 11:58 am
Hayward, WI.

Matt,
Thank you for posting this topic. Many of Jason’s banner pictures were taken on my home water. It wasn’t until this topic that I began taking a closer look. A great opportunity to reflect on past fish caught, and the many memories of days gone by, while seated at the computer with sub-zero temps outside.

My business operates mid April thru November, leaving me with winters off. For the past fifteen years or so I have headed for higher climbs, fishing in the “Westward” way during February and March, returning in April to begin work again. Because of the economic uncertainty, that many of us find ourselves in today, I may fore-go the thinner air this year and renew my relationship with what exists outside my front door. I recall fishing the first early trout season (I can’t recall the year) here in WI. The fishing was exceptional, and has left one memory indelibly stored for a lifetime of recall.

It was a beautiful, cloudless, warm, early spring day, and the river banks were still covered with snow. In stark contrast the early black stones were easily seen, making there way across the white stuff. As usual I started my nymphing routine, scouring the depths in the likely places, as I worked my way downstream from spot to spot. It was slow going until I came around a bend where the river was divided by a long narrow island. Against the bank I noticed a few rises coming off a short stretch of, mid-shin depth, slack water. I made my way around the far side of the island, and worked upstream stopping at a stealthy distance to observe. At first I noticed how intermittent the rises were. The fish would come up and feed for a short time and then quit. A random amount of time would elapse and the short feeding session would begin anew and again, come to a screeching halt. This had me baffled for awhile until I finally discovered the sequence of events. On the bank, and overhanging the river, was a large pine tree. Every time a good gust of wind came through the little black stones would drop from the tree onto the water. I had never fished a dry stone fly before and was lacking a match. I tied on the closest thing I had and was immediately hooked up. As the day progressed, more and more stone flies could be seen fluttering across the surface, and the fish were taking readily. Rising fish were almost everywhere. Needless to say, I had a most memorable day, and I may just hang around this year for a repeat. I never did tie up any dry little black stones, but I’m going to. On second thought, I wonder if that would jinks me.

Falsifly
TroutnutFebruary 1st, 2010, 3:01 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

As soon as I opened the site today I knew exactly where today's banner photo was taken. If anyone else on this forum knows where it is

This is embarrassing! Even I didn't know where it was, and I took it! I replied to your private message with some story about the East Branch, but that's not where this picture was from after all. Worse yet, I was telling you about the Hendricksons, and the picture was taken in October! I guess the clipped header version just reminded me of a different spot. When I looked up the full picture I realized my mistake. Here's the full image.

Do you know the correct spot?

Today's banner 1/31/10 4:50 CST

That fence is no longer there.

You mean this one?

Actually, the fence is still there. I'm curious where exactly you thought the picture is from, and I have a guess: there's a spot that looks similar on the Namekagon just below Seeley, in front of one of those old houses across the river from the highway side. But that's about 20 miles off, and on the wrong river. Here's the full picture:

On the same river as today’s banner.

Just to preserve "today's banner" for future readers, it's this one.

Full image here:

Also, for no particular reason, here's a cute picture of my dog from yesterday:

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WbranchFebruary 1st, 2010, 3:30 pm
York & Starlight PA

Jason wrote;

"This is embarrassing! Even I didn't know where it was, and I took it! I replied to your private message with some story about the East Branch, but that's not where this picture was from after all. Worse yet, I was telling you about the Hendricksons, and the picture was taken in October! I guess the clipped header version just reminded me of a different spot. When I looked up the full picture I realized my mistake. Here's the full image.

Do you know the correct spot?"

This photo was taken on the lower East Branch (below the Quickway bridge) about one mile upstream from the steel bridge that crosses the river in Fishs Eddy. My friends and I call it the "Wire Pool" because a thick steel cable, anchored on both sides, crosses the river here. There is a cement and steel structure on each side of the river with the cable between them. There is a boatswain's chair mounted on one side (well it used to be there but I can't say for sure it is still there) I'm guessing that in times of high water it was a way to get across the river. There used to be another one crossing the river a few miles upstream from the Rest Area Pool on the same river.

I figured you had no clue to where the picture was taken when you were talking about Hendrickson's when the picture was obviously taken in the fall. That's okay though as the photo brings back good memories. No one guessed where it was so I guess the drift boat float will have to wait to another banner taken in the Catskills where someone can tell me where it was taken (I hope I'll know!)
TroutnutFebruary 1st, 2010, 3:40 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

No one guessed where it was so I guess the drift boat float will have to wait to another banner taken in the Catskills

I was talking about the Hendricksons because the picture brought to mind that pool on the East Branch you described (or one very close to it), and the one time I fished that was during the Hendrickson hatch. I don't know how I missed the fall colors, though.

Anyway, we were both wrong. It's not the pool you said... it's actually many miles away, but still somewhere in the Catskills. Got any more guesses?

Also, if someone else guesses the correct location (since it hasn't been given away yet) do they still get that fishing trip?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
FalsiflyFebruary 1st, 2010, 8:21 pm
Hayward, WI.

Jason said:

This is embarrassing! Even I didn't know where it was, and I took it!

Wbranch said:

This photo was taken on the lower East Branch (below the Quickway bridge) about one mile upstream from the steel bridge that crosses the river in Fishs Eddy. My friends and I call it the "Wire Pool" because a thick steel cable, anchored on both sides, crosses the river here. There is a cement and steel structure on each side of the river with the cable between them. There is a boatswain's chair mounted on one side (well it used to be there but I can't say for sure it is still there) I'm guessing that in times of high water it was a way to get across the river. There used to be another one crossing the river a few miles upstream from the Rest Area Pool on the same river.

Jason said:

Anyway, we were both wrong. It's not the pool you said... it's actually many miles away, but still somewhere in the Catskills. Got any more guesses?

Ok, I’ll admit that I may have been deceived by your cropped photo, but by your own admission
Even I didn't know where it was
leaves room for debate. I question whether that is even your dog.
Falsifly
WbranchFebruary 1st, 2010, 10:37 pm
York & Starlight PA

"Also, if someone else guesses the correct location (since it hasn't been given away yet) do they still get that fishing trip?"

Now that you have provided the uncropped image I can see it's not where I thought it was. I'm thinking about it though.

Not if I don't know where it is!
OldredbarnFebruary 2nd, 2010, 8:58 am
Novi, MI

I know you guys say it's not in Michigan, but it has an U.P. sort of look to it or the North Branch of the Au Sable above Dam Four...Where ever it is I wish like hell I was standing there right about now instead of chained to my office chair trying to pretend I'm getting something done and not playing on the computer!!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123February 2nd, 2010, 12:29 pm
Oscoda, MI

Dang it, Spence, GET TO WORK!!!!

JMD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutFebruary 2nd, 2010, 12:37 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Now that you have provided the uncropped image I can see it's not where I thought it was. I'm thinking about it though.

Have some hints:

• The picture is taken from a road.
  • It's on a not-too-famous branch/fork of a famous trout stream.
  • I haven't fished it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
WbranchFebruary 2nd, 2010, 1:42 pm
York & Starlight PA

Early today, before I read the hints, I thought it might have been the top of Wagon Tracks on the Beaverkill but now after you have provided some hints I'll have to re-think it. I'm sure I've seen and and probably fished there.
OldredbarnFebruary 2nd, 2010, 2:06 pm
Novi, MI

Are we certain it's in New York???

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutFebruary 2nd, 2010, 3:30 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yes, it's in New York, in the Catskills.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
ShmorbsFebruary 2nd, 2010, 3:46 pm
south western pa

Hey guys n gals i am unexpierienced as a fly fisherman. i always wanted to get into it and the end of the last year i got my first setup. anyway i am looking for some advice on what flies to try for delayed harvest that is going on now. What works and what doesnt and why.I really could use some solid advice. Im fishing in south western Pa.How about it guys help me land my first fish on my flyrod!
ITHANKU
WbranchFebruary 3rd, 2010, 2:39 am
York & Starlight PA

Shmorbs,

There is just so much information that already exists on this, and other forums, relative to your question that I think you should first try a "Search" for an answer to your question. At the top of this forum there is a box to type in your inquiry then just click on "Google Search". Members here have answered this type of question many times - use some initiative and do a search then come back when you need some more details.

Have you done any reading on the subject yet? If not then that is the first place to start. Imagine if you can that there is no such thing as an Internet and it's wealth of free information. Go to the library and read a couple of books on how to fly fish like most of the guys here did to learn how to fly fish.

There is actually a current thread referring to your question active right now - See this thread "Troutnut Forum > Fly Fishing Discussion > Starting from the beginning"
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.