Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Possible upcoming trip to North Dakota - any good trout waters???

Jmd123August 26th, 2009, 6:01 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey folks, there is a possibility that I might be heading to ND in the next couple of weeks for a work project (wetland restoration). So, does anyone have any recommendations for trout fishing locations? I've never been there before, and I don't know where the job site will be yet, but any good information would be appreciated, including fly recommmends. Thanks!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
DryflyAugust 27th, 2009, 10:21 am
rochester mn

Garrison Tailrace has trout. From pictures it is wide and deep so full sinking lines and streamers would be your best bet.
Jmd123August 27th, 2009, 12:34 pm
Oscoda, MI

Thanks, DryFly - BTW, great user name. If I am anywhere in the vicinity I will check it out. I recently purchased some 20' sinktips (loop-to-loop connectors for my WF floaters) and I will try my Killer Bass Flies, one of which hooked a 20"+ brown on the Pigeon River in northern lower MI last summer. I will likely be out there for at least a week (if I go) so I should have some opportunities to wet a line. Thanks again!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
DryflyAugust 27th, 2009, 2:45 pm
rochester mn

Paging through some old magazines, I found the Turtle River which is stocked with Rainbows. Remember When you say Trout fishing North Dakota is not high on the list. There many more lakes and rivers with healthy warmwater fish populations than trout populations. Maybe the KBF could catch some bass. Don't limit yourself to trout. Enjoy your trip.
Jmd123August 27th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Oscoda, MI

Actually, warmwater fishing is about all I do these days - there isn't much quality trout fishing in my area (SE MI) but more than enough warmwater fisheries. I've been catching bass (largemouth, smallmouth, & rock), bluegills, crappies, and yellow perch since the middle of March around here! The KBF variants will catch just about anything, as will my other warmwater favorite, a chartreuse Woolly Bugger (weighted, size 10, with grizzly hackle, and Krystal Flash in the tail). If there are waters containing fish on or near the project site, whatever species they may be, you can bet I'll be throwing some flies at them. Thanks again for the info!

Jonathon
Jmd123September 3rd, 2009, 11:15 pm
Oscoda, MI

I still haven't heard anything about North Dakota, so it may be a moot point. As of tomorrow, there are 26 days left in the regular trout season here in MI, and I do plan to take advantage of them...

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.