Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Good, Reliable Stream Thermometer, Page 2

AfishinadoApril 12th, 2014, 6:59 am
SE PA

If, actually when the mercury separates in your thermometer, simply shake in down (snap it hard) and you're good to go.
WiflyfisherApril 12th, 2014, 9:10 pm
Wisconsin

Fishpond - still works great.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Kschaefer3April 14th, 2014, 9:45 am
St. Paul, MN

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I will have to try fixing mine first, before going to buy a new one.
PaulRobertsApril 17th, 2014, 2:12 am
Colorado

Yes, snap em down hard and they should come back together. They separate by getting knocked around.

One thing I wanted was a more accurate read -a thermometer with finer gradations (scale). I eventually found the dial type from Omega Engineering. I believe I have the model 7. They are accurate and calibratable.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/K-79_POCKET_THERMOM.html

Since I have a habit of losing them (leaving em in the stream), I bought several. Worth the investment. I now make a habit of not leaving the site until I've put my thermometer away. If I try to fish while it soaks, I'm apt to forget it.
OldredbarnApril 20th, 2014, 12:32 pm
Novi, MI

Paul,

This post is making me remember when I first started serious fishing. My mentor made me carry a thermometer, still do, in my vest, and he would always ask me what the water temps were.

I remember guys mesuring for alkalinity and even an old Solanar guage on an old fly shop in Roscommon MI, all designed to tell us when we should be fishing and when we should stay home and cut the lawn. :)

He also made me carry a small aquarium net.

When I worked I only had so much time where I could visit the river. I started to take it as it was, come hell or high water, and would say to myself, "you're here now kid, now make the best of it, and catch some fish!" :) Figuring out how to catch fish in non-optimal conditions can be a crap shoot, but if you work at it and take your time, it can be a solid angling education.

The guys that live near the river can cherry pick their time on the river, but I couldn't...and I wasn't going to hang in a bar somewhere. :)

There was one time when the wind was howling and the weather conditions were really shitty where I put on a rain jacket and my binocs and hiked some trails looking for birds. Saw my first Black-and-White Warbler...Other times I just toughed it out.

I told the story here before, but I floated the S Branch of the Au Sauble when we had to pull up under some sweepers to get out of the hail coming down. Had a bag of ice in the boat all day that never melted. (Why did I need ice to keep the beer cold when it was already colder than my frig out...closer to the freezer) The only bug on the water was that dinky B cingulatus! Little tiny dark gray sail boats floating along getting ignored by the fish. I used to call it B dinkus. :)

Spence

There was a period in the 90's where other anglers would ask when I was coming up and either come the week before or the week after...It was called "The Spencer Low-Pressure Center"...As soon as I crossed over the Crawford Co line this massive low-pressure center would camp out overhead and make my week up tough.

Once I sat on the banks on a really crisp blue-bird day and there was one cloud above me dropping snow pellets just on me...I became resigned to it and decided it would be futile to move since it would probably just follow me anyway. :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsApril 20th, 2014, 9:26 pm
Colorado

Took this snapshot from a turboprop over the South China Sea. I had to chuckle, "Who's on that particular island? It's the only one with a cloud over it!" Was it you, Spence?

Oh .. the water temperature was 28C.
OldredbarnApril 20th, 2014, 9:54 pm
Novi, MI

:) Could be Paul...Or one of my cousins.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsApril 20th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Colorado

Here was the next shot. Glad it wasn't you Spence.

OldredbarnApril 21st, 2014, 2:04 pm
Novi, MI

Paul...You think I'm being targeted? :)

PaulRobertsApril 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm
Colorado

All fisherman are targeted. We go outside. Why else would we need thermometers? (Ha! See we weren't off topic!)
MarkCOctober 25th, 2017, 2:41 am
China

I am debating on what is best thermometer to get for measuring stream temperatures. I looked at a couple of older threads on other forums and there wasn't anything clear cut. Some are using cheap kitchen-type thermometers, some are using the mercury stick-type thermometers made specifically for use in streams and lakes and others are using more expensive digital thermometers. Any suggestions?

You can use portable handheld weather station it is developed on the basis of our transit-time ultrasonic wind meters. But except for wind direction and speed, it can be equipped with temperature, humidity and pressure sensors module. The handheld weather station is portable type which can be powered by battery. It has recharging Li-battery or AA battery optional.

For more info pls visit https://www.abestmeter.com/portable-handheld-weather-station/
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.