Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A Thread for Louis

Shawnny3May 4th, 2008, 6:29 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

OK, so I finally caved in and bought my first Poly Yarn and Hi-Vis a few days ago. As I was leaving my tying room to go outside to burn some wings where the fumes wouldn't kill my children, I turned around to shut the door and realized that there was a fluorescent green area on my desk. I went back in to see if it was a reflection from a night-light or something, and then realized in a HOLY CRAP sort of epiphany that one of the packets of Hi-Vis I just bought was GLOWING IN THE FREAKING DARK. I actually flipped the packet over to read the card and make sure the color checked was not 'Radium' - nope, just plain old White.

I'm still in shock and don't know what to say.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MtskibumMay 4th, 2008, 8:48 pm
Montana

When i was a kid, one of my favorite spinners(even during the day) was a glow in the dark white color. It produced fish when nothing else would.

What brand of stuff are you using? I fly fish at night every now and then, and would like some glow in the dark material.
GetyourboneMay 4th, 2008, 9:59 pm
Baldwin, WI

Ya, what brand? I am always a sucker for trying something different? Maybe it's pretty common but I have never seen it.
MartinlfMay 5th, 2008, 6:14 am
Palmyra PA

Yes, I have some of the glow in the dark Hi-vis. It's typically labeled that way, but it looks like plain white so someone at the factory must have gotten them mixed up. It's not bright enough for glow spinners, though. There's just one method I've found that works for that.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3May 5th, 2008, 3:28 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

You may be right, Louis, about an error in packaging. One of the colors on the card is 'Glow in the Dark'. But the packet I have is clearly marked 'White'.

The brand was L&L, for what it's worth.

Out of curiosity, Louis, what have you finally found to dress your glow-in-the-dark monstrosities? That is, if you can tell us without divulging any secrets that might jeopardize national security.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfMay 6th, 2008, 9:45 am
Palmyra PA

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=41

On a foam parachute post. Wear a lead apron when tying and fishing this baby, though.

A red light preserves night vision, as does a UV light (Loon mini), which charges the fly nicely. Best for close-up spinner eaters as can't be seen at a distance unless the night is very dark and you're in a tree tunnel, but under the right conditions you can do very well. Just ask JohnW. Oh, use the star trick, don't look directly at it, but just to the side.

Or do what Gonzo does and use a wet fly. I like this method also, and sometimes combine, dropping the wet from the eye or bend of the parachute hackle spinner.

--Fred Chappell
GetyourboneMay 6th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Baldwin, WI

I just may have to tie some lighting bug patterns! I wonder if fish eat lighting bugs?
JOHNWMay 6th, 2008, 2:59 pm
Chambersburg, PA

"I wonder if fish eat lighting bugs? "
Gettybourne,
one word= YES
Now it is not as consistent as aquatic insects but far more common than periodic cicadas.

As for the effectiveness of Louis' glow spinners if you fish tight brushy streams where there is minimal glare once the sun sets the post is a beacon visible out to about 25'. For bigger water it drops dramatically to a range of about 10-15' however there is a certain thrill to working in that close to a spinner sipping fish. Individual milage may vary.
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfMay 7th, 2008, 1:26 pm
Palmyra PA

I even know someone who has some lightning bug patterns.

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfJune 7th, 2012, 1:43 am
Palmyra PA

One last glow spinner thread, though it's listed first. Start at the third one down and read up if glow in the dark spinners interest you. Tony, we've talked about this, and I just PM'd Eric.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.