Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > limbata or simulans

TiedflyerAugust 16th, 2021, 8:03 am
Speargrass Alberta Cda

Pulling last of hair out over intensive debate deciding which is Limbata and which is simulans. Spotted very, very Golden, May 5 2018 near ... river in Alberta Cda then found one on my porch screen a number of days later, both mid morning (live nearby ... river). Spotted 'nother in apr/may this year THEN wife calls just after I left for the ... river last week in the mid afternoon (yes, August, 2021), to advise "GOLDEN", very large 2 tail beastie on porch screen. (see Image att to my profile)
communicated a month or so back with US amatuer entomolygst who said my picture (att) from my 2017 experience) is a Brown Mayfly .... that'd be the beastie with THREEE TAILS ... not the two-tailed beastied in my photo. He mentioned also, there are 4 variations of the Brown mayfly in Alberta
GOLDEN AND TWO TAILS, spring common time for hatching, SEEMS TO CONFLICT WITH Brown having 3 TAILS plus ... spring and late summer hatches (probably into Oct), fussy about when to hatch (clear skies, certain water temp,
As an aside, decades back I met a fellow who, (upon seeing you point to bird and begin to say "Oh look! there's a ...",) would cover his ears and hum, so he couldn't hear you ... seems he got by just enjoying birds without knowing there names, given by humans. With that in mind, the ID of mayflies isn't important as long as I can see enough of them to tie an imitate (favour Catskills mallard biots ... even for size 8) but, this conflict is driving me nuts as I can't make up my mind what time to head out and fish while still getting sleep!
Hope someone has the expertise to sort out.
TaxonAugust 16th, 2021, 10:26 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Tiedflyer-

Welcome to Troutnut.

Ephemera simulans is a 3-tailed beastie in its winged lifestages, whereas Hexagenia limbata is a 2-tailed beastie in its winged lifestages. However, the debate can end, and you should get some sleep, as I believe the mayfly in your profile to be neither of those beasties.

Rather, I believe the male subimago (dun) in your profile to be of family Heptageiide, probably of genus Epeorus, which flyfishers often refer to as a Pale Evening Dun, but is also referred to by several dozen other common names.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TiedflyerAugust 18th, 2021, 4:51 pm
Speargrass Alberta Cda

Thank you Roger,
In response (first effort seems to have vanished),
The size of the beastie in the photo is SIZE 8! Neglected to mention that important fact. PED I've fished for decades in S. Alberta into the night size 14 to 16.
Is it possible these are Green Drakes with a blessing from on high to turn them a tad Golden?
TiedflyerAugust 18th, 2021, 4:53 pm
Speargrass Alberta Cda

OOps! Just double checked on the green drake (western style)to discover another 3 tailed beastie.
I will try and net one of these to take to the local U
TiedflyerAugust 18th, 2021, 5:48 pm
Speargrass Alberta Cda

.... elegantula, mayhaps???
TiedflyerAugust 18th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Speargrass Alberta Cda

Sorry; slow on the uptake.
Sulphur it is! Brilliant.
Thanks Roger

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.