Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Necks

FlytyerinpaOctober 12th, 2018, 1:56 pm
Pottsville Pa

Wondering if any body ever ordered any necks or saddles from Campfire Lodge in West Yellowstone Mt.?
I ordered a couple necks from there a week ago, and so far I have not even gotten a automated copy of my order, a notice it's no its way, nothing.
I even called them 3 times only to get a recording.
WbranchOctober 12th, 2018, 3:25 pm
York & Starlight PA

It doesn't sound good. If you paid with PayPal you can have them intervene. I had trouble with two vendors and after I contacted PP I had a favorable resolution within one day.

I went to their FB page and saw this comment on a video;

It’s our final day for the 2018 season. We will be serving until 2:00 PM. It’s your last chance for “ The Best Breakfast West of the Mississippi

I never heard of Campfire Lodge and I search many fly fishing web sites. Firstly I never buy dry fly necks or saddles on line. But I buy all sorts of other fly tying stuff. I stick with big well known shops like "The Fly Shop" in Mercer, CA FishUSA in Erie, PA. Bass Pro has terrible pricing on their fly tying material.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123October 12th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Oscoda, MI

I'm with Matt, I like to see and handle a neck before I plunk down a big chunk of change for one. After all, a good one is gonna cost you and should last you a good long time, too. One exception was that a fellow Troutnut sold me a few really nice necks for insanely cheap a few years back, but of course I'm not going to say who it was and I trust a fellow Troutnut if he or she says they have a really nice neck. Pretty much my only exception to the rule...be aware of sales, I nailed two Whiting gold necks, one dyed black and the other white, for $45 each. Two for the price of one! That was at an Orvis shop downstate (Royal Oak, MI), they were sitting in the Bargain bin, no BS. So, it pays to go to your local shop just to see what they've got.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FlytyerinpaOctober 12th, 2018, 5:41 pm
Pottsville Pa

Thanks Wbranch and Jmd123, Just my luck I'm not sure how I even found that place, all of his necks and saddles are numbered you get the exact one you pick, not that its a substitute for actually having it in hand. I'm about 60 miles from Bass Pro and 20 miles from Cabalas but both are terrible on price. I do buy a lot from on line just never any necks or saddle before.
I use to go to fly shows the prices are just a little better but they only carry the basic colors they know they will sell.
For 3 years I was looking for a ply neck, rusty dun neck, and a few others from whiting, never found any of them.
Since I've started going to the fly shows every year there are less and less vendors selling fly tying stuff, last year I think I bought one cream saddle, a replacement net, and some thread the show was bigger but there were so many vendors selling things that didn't have anything to do with any kind of fishing, wine, women's clothing, women's jewelry I think the hotels are charging Chuck to much for the space which means he has to charge the vendors more
IasgairOctober 16th, 2018, 10:13 am
Colorado

Here are some shops I have dealt with having great service.
https://www.jsflyfishing.com/

https://detteflies.com/

https://www.theflyfishers.com/

All have been superb. But as others have said, it's good to look at necks and saddles personally before you buy. But if you can't, these three places are worth the shopping.
FlytyerinpaOctober 17th, 2018, 1:08 pm
Pottsville Pa

Thankfully I received my necks I ordered today, nice quality feathers, normally I have to see them and feel them before I buy anything like necks or saddles. But not having any fly shops in my area, well I took a chance just not sure I would do it again.
But in all fairness to Camp Fire Lodge I did get what I ordered, I did get it for the price advertised, I guess the only down fall is they seem to take there time with filling the orders, but that could be the time of year it is. Ed
Jmd123October 17th, 2018, 1:37 pm
Oscoda, MI

So they look good? Glad you ended up getting what you paid for, just took a bit longer than you expected. All's well that ends well.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PABrownieOctober 23rd, 2018, 4:33 am
Gallitzin PA

Sounds like your used to ordering things from amazon and not actual shops. Things dont come the next day when you order from a small shop. Relax next time.

You said in your original post on the 12th that you ordered them a week ago, so lets say that puts you at the 5th of October, and you received them on the 17th. Thats not post worthy, actually thats pretty damn quick for a small shop, thats literally ordered, and received in two weeks. Thats almost as fast as Amazon, for a small shop thats amazing.
PlanettroutOctober 28th, 2018, 1:58 pm
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

F.Y.I. Campfire Lodge is not located in West Yellowstone, MT. It is a resort with campsites, cabins, a restaurant and fly shop located between Hegben Lake and Quake Lake on the Madison River. Having been there on a number of occasions, they have an excellent selection of capes, saddles and necks - probably more than most fly shops in the U.S.

This is a place I would highly recommend to those who tie or want a prime location to stay when fishing the Madison River. It is also just up the road from Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn and fly shop...

PT/TB

Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
TNEALNovember 6th, 2018, 7:33 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

I used to buy a lot of saddles from them; they were having a 20% off sale every February.Service was very good; no problems.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.