Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > First fish of 2015

First fish of 2015

By Troutnut on April 28th, 2015
The ground around Fairbanks is finally mostly snow-free, and most of the creeks are beginning to open up. I went down to North Pole yesterday to test some new drift sampling nets for summer fieldwork in Piledriver Slough, and on the way back home I stopped at Badger Slough to catch the first grayling of the year, and the first fish on my new Hardy Ultralite DD 4000 reel.

This was not idyllic Alaskan fishing, but it's a good place to spend five minutes and put something on the end of the line. I was casting into a culvert pool between a kids' playground and a gas station. Despite my using a size 16 fly, the first fish was somehow hooked in the back, so that didn't count. The second fish was fair hooked, but landed by a kid from the playground, so that didn't quite count. The first "official" (I guess?) fish of the year is below.

I only had a few minutes to fish, but the new Hardy was a pleasure. I'll be testing it out on nicer fish in mid-May, when I'm going to fish for a few days in Slovenia before heading to Spain for a research symposium.

Photos by Troutnut from Badger Slough, the Tanana River, and Miscellaneous Alaska in Alaska

First little grayling on the new Hardy reel. From Badger Slough in Alaska.
First little grayling on the new Hardy reel.
StateAlaska
Date TakenApr 28, 2015
Date AddedApr 29, 2015
AuthorTroutnut
CameraCanon PowerShot D10
The mouth of Piledriver Slough on the Tanana River From the Tanana River in Alaska.
The mouth of Piledriver Slough on the Tanana River
StateAlaska
LocationTanana River
Date TakenApr 28, 2015
Date AddedSep 19, 2015
AuthorTroutnut
Canada goose returning to Fairbanks at Creamer's Field From Fairbanks in Alaska.
Canada goose returning to Fairbanks at Creamer's Field
StateAlaska
LocationFairbanks
Date TakenApr 28, 2015
Date AddedSep 19, 2015
AuthorTroutnut

Comments / replies

TaxonApril 29th, 2015, 9:32 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Very nice, Jason. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.