Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Flavalinea or Drunella Grandis

ByhaughDecember 17th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Hawaii

Hi,
Could you please determine which this is?
Thank you.

< />
BrookymanDecember 17th, 2013, 5:26 pm
Banned
Looks like something in the Ephemerella group like subvaria maybe.

Never mind the fore femora look like Drunella.

Roger will know for sure.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
KonchuDecember 17th, 2013, 6:46 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Where is this from?
TaxonDecember 17th, 2013, 8:10 pm
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Mack-

Roger will know for sure.

It is generally not productive to offer an opinion concerning the identity of a photo of a mayfly nymph, unless it has been photographed while fully immersed in water. Otherwise, all its appendages stick together, and it simply resembles a blob.

When in the field, a pickle jar lid is handy for that purpose.

Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanDecember 17th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Banned
Well you usually in the end come up with really good id's for may bugs. Although as you said there are many things that affect things RE photos and detail. You and Kurt are the experts here and my statement is to your knowledge and insight and my level of respect & confidence in both of you.

Mack..
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
ByhaughDecember 17th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Hawaii

It was from The Ranch on the Henry's Fork in Idaho
BrookymanDecember 18th, 2013, 1:50 am
Banned
I have know idea what a ( Flavalinea ) is and do not know much on Western hatch's. But I am not too bad with researching things. I was looking at the biodiversity museum site and I came across this guy which looks a little like your. After reading and looking it appears the Flavalinea is a specie or subspecies in the drunella complex and does not look like yours. The one I found that resembles yours is Drunella coloradensis which I have inserted below. I can't say it is it but the experts will hopefully have some more input here.

Mack.
EntomanDecember 18th, 2013, 4:43 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Good guess as to genus, Mack. I have sampled the Henrys quite a bit, though it has been many years. If memory serves, the smaller flav species were mostly bland there. The bright mottled appearance was common with the big green drakes but it's what appears to be paired thoracic tubercle development that makes this specimen look more like an immature D. grandis (Green Drake) to me. This is only probable, though. Roger stated the difficulties with making determinations using this kind of photo very well so I won't comment further other than to express my agreement.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanDecember 18th, 2013, 1:35 pm
Banned
Hi Kurt.

Truth be known I have little knowledge of the Drunella group first hand and totally agree that even in a perfect picture, specie identification is often not likely. I only through this one out there because the color modeling on the body looked sort of like the one in the photo and the geographical range was good for it.

On the subject of color variation for me and other readers. How much color variation is common or normal in the Drunella group ???

Mack.
EntomanDecember 18th, 2013, 3:04 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

How much color variation is common or normal in the Drunella group ???

All over the map, Mack. They are little chameleons and tend to take on the coloration of their surroundings. Mostly, they live in weeds or the detritus between rocks and so tend to shades of olive or brownish black. On less fertile streams full of assorted colorful rocks, these critters are just as varied. I've collected them in suits of granite looking salt & pepper and even bright chartreuse w/ black tiger stripes. Go to http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/forum/Topics_Display.php and check out the various Drunella photos there. Some are very colorful odd balls.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanDecember 18th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Banned
Thanks Kurt.

I wondered if they may act like some Ephemerella subvaria how they can be almost hyaline and black in color to blend in. That part of Rogers site I have never seen before!!! that's where I will be poking and reading around for the next many days ahead. COOL !!! I book marked that link fast..

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.