or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tulpehocken -

Report at a Glance

General Region Berks County
Specific LocationUpstream 200 yards of Rebers Bridge & upper USGS station
Time of Day11:00 - 12:00 & 12:30 - 2:30
Fish CaughtNo trout - one fair hooked 14" White sucker
Conditions & HatchesBeautiful day, a little windy at first, then nice & little wind. River is low IMO @ 200 cfs. Saw plenty of adult midges on the water and in the air #18 - #20. Also a few EBS.

Details and Discussion

WbranchMarch 11th, 2013, 3:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

Arrived @ 10:45 & parked @ Rebers Bridge. Walked up stream about 150 yards and fished my way back to the bridge. Numerous #18 - #20 midges flying around and on the water. Nymphed with 5X a #16 Red Copper John and a small San Juan worm point fly. Fished to 12:00 and not a bump.

Left there and drove up to the Water Street area. Four cars there but nobody catching anything. I crossed and walked up stream about 250 yards and fished my way back still with the Copper John but put on a #20 silver BH midge pupa. Nothing. Went back to Rebers Bridge and walked upstream even higher and slowly nymphed my way back to the parking lot. Caught one 14" sucker on the black midge pupa and that was it.

Drove down to Paper Mill but two guys were in the riffle water below where the creek enters and four guys were flailing the water upstream so I decided to cut my losses and left for home at 3:00.

Returning tomorrow - should be much better as thousands of rainbows were stocked today.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123March 11th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

Thanks for the Report, Matt (since I egged you on). At least one sucker took pity on you and wouldn't let you get skunked...did it put up a decent fight?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchMarch 11th, 2013, 11:19 pm
York & Starlight PA

"did it put up a decent fight?"

Actually initially it did and I thought I had a good trout.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123March 12th, 2013, 11:05 am
Oscoda, MI

I caught a 15" golden redhorse sucker a few years ago on a Woolly Bugger that gave me a pretty good tussle for a short time. I was hoping it was a trout, instead up came a fish that looked almost exactly like a skinny carp! At least the redhorse suckers are generally considered to be indicators of good water quality...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfMarch 12th, 2013, 11:36 am
Palmyra PA

My father used to snag redhorse to eat. If memory serves me, I think he chopped through the flesh to break up the bones. That way, he claimed, they dissolved when cooked. But he was quite a BSer, so who knows. I do know they tasted good to a kid who ate everything he cooked--turtle, redhorse, squirrel, deer, etc. And I don't remember any problems with redhorse bones.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.