Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Two Questions

SmeadorMarch 16th, 2014, 11:31 am
Prospect, VA

#1 - What is the best preservative to use to keep nymphs in vials for long-term collections?

#2 - Anyone using the handheld, digital microscopes to look at these bugs?
Feedback on these please.

Thanks everyone!

SM
CrepuscularMarch 16th, 2014, 2:08 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Pure ethanol (non-denatured)

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the hand held digital microscopes.
EntomanMarch 16th, 2014, 3:35 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum, Smeador.

I agree with Crepuscular, though I prefer something in the 70% range at first if I'm going to inspect them much. They seem to get a little less brittle. The non-denatured stuff is usually hard for amateurs to obtain (depending on where you live and/or who you know). Since it is advisable to stay away from over-the-counter forms of alcohol, you can get by with the strongest clear spirits You can get my hands on. I've got some specimens preserved in Blue Sapphire and kept in the shop refrigerator or freezer that look pretty good after years of storage. The legs don't fall off when I try to move 'em either (I've often joked that the juniper keeps 'em limber). Tried leaving a few in the house refer for awhile, but you can probably guess how that went over... :) The biggest mistake guys make is failing to change out the preservative after a couple of days. Some of the big caddis larvae and stonefly nymphs have to be changed out several times.

I have no experience with handhelds either, but have heard that they have problems with sharpness and depth of field. I'm also not sure they are too practical for really close work like observing minute spine patterns & such.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LowBudgetMarch 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm
Afton, NY

I haven't used the handhelds.

But, I have been using a simple platform that you can build that you can place a smartphone, iPod Touch or iPad onto that will then give you dissecting microscope type of magnification. You can then snap a pic.

You can build one for under $10. But, the lenses which cost one dollar can only be bought in quantities of 10 (which I have done) or you can harvest a lens from a laser pointer (which I have not done).

I am working on writing up a set of directions to do this as I am scheduled to present a workshop on it to biology teachers at the end of April. I may have a decent draft document in 10 days or so.

Here's where you can view some pics I've taken with this kind of setup.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/107447394@N07/sets/72157641718340454/

Note: the midge pupa and the damselfly nymphs have spent 8 years in isopropyl alcohol. The other insects were live when photographed.

Ed

Ed
Low Budget Fly Tying and Fishing author of "Behind the Fly"
http://edengelman.com/BTF.html
EntomanMarch 16th, 2014, 11:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

Sounds intriguing, Ed. Will you share it with us when you're ready?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LowBudgetMarch 17th, 2014, 6:18 am
Afton, NY

Yes, I will post when I finish the write-up. One of the images on my Flickr site shows the basic set-up but I know that is not enough to go on. Also, I need to resolve some problems with my own web site.

Well, work beckons.

Until later.

Ed
Ed
LowBudgetApril 1st, 2014, 8:47 pm
Afton, NY

I just posted in a new topic to the Photography forum on this site a link to directions (in pdf format) on how to build a "Smart-D-Scope" for cell phones, iPods etc.

That is, a DIY dissecting microscope-like thing-er.

Let me know if you build one or would like any clarifications.

Ed
Ed

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.