Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The Health of a River

WindknotMay 31st, 2007, 3:43 pm
Apalachin, NY

How often I long for the smell of NY's East Branch of the Delaware. No where have I ever smelled a healthier river. It's aroma is worthy of a after shave.
An interesting perspective is offered from Ray Turner, known as the EEL MAN. There are only 2 eel weirs allowed on the Delaware and Ray has one. His perspective tells of the river health.
For those interested in knowing a true RIVER RAT, type in "The EEL Man".
Humankind did not create the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are one, all things connect.
Cheif Seattle
NjflytyerJune 19th, 2007, 7:15 am
Belvidere.NJ

Windknot, Have you fished the East Branch lately? I was up there on the *th thru the morning of thru the 11th and found the river quite barren. I turned lots of rocks and found very few nymphs. I was upset at what the Corp of Engineers had done behind the fireman's field in Downsville,NY. What have you heard? Some of the fishermen I know say it going to take a few years before it will be back to the great trout waters it once was, what do you think? Chris
TroutnutJune 19th, 2007, 7:20 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I turned lots of rocks and found very few nymphs.

That's not necessarily unexpected at this time of year. Most of the really abundant species have already hatched.

I fished the East Branch once this year and, for the first time, caught a fish there -- a healthy 19 incher. Hooked and lost another about the same size. I only saw one other fish rise the whole time, and didn't hook that one. So the action was pretty sparse.

I've never noticed anything unique about the smell of it. I have to say I would prefer the aroma of Wisconsin's northwoods over the Catskills.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
NjflytyerJune 19th, 2007, 7:41 am
Belvidere.NJ

Troutnut, I fished down near Terry's campground , just up from long flats and the river looked great and some sulfurs where flying but only one rise in two hours. I talked to a guy in Catskill Flies who complained about trout breaking his 5x tippet and stealing his nymphs on the East Branch, I guess I should have tailed him. I did have fun on the Willow and the Beaverkill, and the fish where there. My friend Dick wouldn't budge from the EB and join me on the Willow. Just being on a river, with a fly rod is heaven to me. Chris

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.