Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Troutnut.com makes TU chapter newsletter.

FalsiflyJanuary 9th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Hayward, WI.

An excerpt taken from TU “Wild Rivers Chapter” monthly news letter “Wild Rivers Tribute” Jan, 2012:

Favorite Trout Sites
Chuck Campbell

It was mid-June, not yet hex time and I was on a northern Wisconsin stream in the midst of a major hatch. Not sure what mayfly was on the water, I took several mayflies home and checked troutnut .com for an identification. The site contains an aquatic insect encyclopedia of the highest quality. The hatch was the Black Quill, and the website gave me all of the information that I could hope for about the hatch and how to match it. Quoting the site: Troutnut.com is a photographic shrine to trout, fly fishing, beautiful rivers, the fascinating flies we imitate, and how to match the hatch for every common species in North America. It is run by “Troutnut” Jason Neuswanger with help from many others. Troutnut .com also has the top 10 fly hatches, a forum, and a fly tying contest. The site has high quality close-up photos of all the insect life stages, and is very current. If you have a fascination for trout and trout food, this is the place for you.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
TroutnutJanuary 9th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I still get their newsletter in the mail, so I was just reading that at the table tonight before I came online and found it here. :) If Chuck reads this, thanks Chuck!

I'm kind of surprised he didn't mention that many (maybe most) of the bugs and scenery pictures on this site come from northwest Wisconsin in the Wild Rivers chapter's home turf. Maybe he didn't know? Anyway, anyone from the region reading this should be aware that your favorite rivers are responsible for much of the best stuff here.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WiflyfisherJanuary 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm
Wisconsin

I saw it too in my NW Wisconsin TU email newsletter. Greatly deserved. And, it's even more than that... most can't fully appreciate Jason's hundreds of hours of custom PHP programming, database programming, CSS, HTML, design layout, graphics, editing photos, Javascript, etc.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
PaulRobertsJanuary 9th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Colorado

No surprise. Start asking "What bug was that the trout were on..." And Troutnut will come up.
GldstrmSamJanuary 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

...and a fly tying contest.

I tried to check out the fly tying contest, but I got an "internal error" page. Any ideas on the problem?
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
TroutnutJanuary 10th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yeah that separate site I made keeps going down on its own and it's hard for me to bring it online. When I get a bit of free time I'm going to try to move it onto the same server as Troutnut.com, where it should be more reliable.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123January 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey Jason, congrats on making "the big time"! No surprise to all of us on here, of course, but perhaps we could be seeing a new wave of users on here? More input, "more better"...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.