Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Alaskan trip

Wbranch has attached these 4 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionYetna River drainage
Specific LocationLake Marie Lodge
Time of Day9:00 - 5:00 every day
Fish CaughtSilver salmon, chum & pink salmon, rainbows
Conditions & Hatchesnone.

Details and Discussion

WbranchSeptember 1st, 2011, 12:34 am
York & Starlight PA

I had an unexpected opportunity to go to Alaska last week so I asked my wife and she said "Go for it!" It was not a fly-out lodge but it was 100 miles north of Anchorage and we got there in a 4 seater bush plane. That ride alone was a hoot! I'll be creating a new album at my Facebook page within the next few days if anyone wishes to view them.

Jason told me this Facebook address can be viewed by "Friends Only". I don't want to change it so the unwashed internet masses can view it so if you want to see the pictures you'll have to become one of my"Friends" on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1949395729876.2093624.1092066617&type=1
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutSeptember 1st, 2011, 12:59 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very cool! Gotta love those views from Denali from the south on a clear day. I think you caught more salmon that week than I have in four years living in Alaska, not counting my dipnetting.

The Facebook link you posted was broken, so I looked it up on Facebook and fixed it for you. You have sharing on that album set to Friends-only I think, so if you want everyone to be able to see it you'd need to change that album setting.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WbranchSeptember 1st, 2011, 2:41 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Jason,

You wrote; "but this year the sockeye run greatly exceeded expectations, so the Alaska Department of Fish & Game increased everyone's limit by 10 for several weeks."

The fellow seating next to me on the way to Anchorage told me his son had heard that a Alaska Fish plane had been flying around the mouths of some of the rivers and found a school of sockeye's that was an amazing 26 miles long by 18 miles wide. It was the largest run of sockeye's since 1958 and Alaska Fish thought that tremendous quantity of fish would significantly contribute to fouling the river systems with all their effluent so they decided to relax the daily bag limits.

He also told me his son owned a trucking business that hauls fresh caught halibut from the commercial vessels to the markets. He had aldreay hauled 29 million pounds of halibut this season. He told me that halibut was going at $15.00 per pound but I never verified that price which sounds quite steep to me.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.