or register.
Scientific name search:

> > duck shooting

DundeMay 20th, 2011, 6:21 pm
dannivirke

any of u anglers go duck shooting on opening morning
KeystonerJuly 17th, 2011, 10:42 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Why would anyone wanna go and shoot a poor old duck??
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
OldredbarnJuly 18th, 2011, 11:30 am
Novi, MI

Matt,

I've tried to get them Woodies to give up them gorgeous flank feathers without a fight...No such luck! They are a bit harder to deal with when I ask them to give up some ass feathers...Whoops! I meant CDC...;) I have even explained to them that I'm a vegetarian and we should be able to work something out, but no such luck...

You have to explain to us where that profile photo is taken...It's a nice photo! And how you managed to move out that way with no dollars in your pocket...Did you have a job lined up before you shoved off?

Good luck by-the-way...I'm about to send you a "Care Paket" with a box of flies and some beer money in it! :) We can't have a fellow TroutNut so broke he resorts to fishing without a license!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutJuly 18th, 2011, 2:50 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

It owed him money?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KeystonerJuly 18th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Both are acceptable motivations, I suppose.

Spence, sorry to disappoint, but that pic is just one of the generic images found on Windows. Looking to update it ASAP with one that actually features me. Speaking of which, is that you in your picture??

As far as the move, I just kind of did it. Had $1500 saved, did some mechanical stuff to the car, and away I went. Been pounding the pavement since I got out here in search of gainful employment. One area where the lack of a license is actually helpful, it keeps me on task!! And don't worry, there will not be any non-licensed angling.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
OldredbarnJuly 18th, 2011, 7:58 pm
Novi, MI

Speaking of which, is that you in your picture??

Your kidding, right!? :)

As far as the move, I just kind of did it. Had $1500 saved, did some mechanical stuff to the car, and away I went. Been pounding the pavement since I got out here in search of gainful employment. One area where the lack of a license is actually helpful, it keeps me on task!! And don't worry, there will not be any non-licensed angling.

Wow! Sounds like my 1973 trip to Alaska at 19...I had less dough but factoring in inflation probably pretty close. I was originally serious about living up there when I left Detroit and may stilll be there except my buddy was missing a girl and I had never been more homesick...

I will say this, a great many folk have changed their lives by making bold changes...One never knows what may come and you would never know unless you gave it a go.

I just called my nephew last evening to give him a pep talk as he headed off to Great Lakes boot-camp after joining the Navy. The young man has never been on an airplane before today. Who really knows where this might lead him...It wasn't uncle Spence's first choice, but then again it actually wasn't my choice to make.

Good luck with the job search...

Spence

PS I'm pretty sure some folk on this site know who that is in my profile picture, but maybe we should make a contest out of it...Lets see...I'll buy someone breakfast at the Grayling Restaurant...How about that? ;)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3July 19th, 2011, 7:20 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I know when my brother moved up to Central PA, he committed to himself that he wouldn't fish until he found a job, knowing that if he didn't he might never work again. That sense of responsibility served him well and not so well. He found a job quickly, but has been a working ever since.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
OldredbarnJuly 19th, 2011, 5:03 pm
Novi, MI

PS I'm pretty sure some folk on this site know who that is in my profile picture, but maybe we should make a contest out of it...Lets see...I'll buy someone breakfast at the Grayling Restaurant...How about that? ;)

Anyone going to hazzard a quess before I change it up? I posted it for the newbie to our site from Great Britian and he seems to have faded away. Keystoner thought it was me...Wow! Gonzo asked me just how old I was, but give me a break...Check out that cap! Is that a dandy or what?!

That sense of responsibility served him well and not so well. He found a job quickly, but has been a working ever since.

Shawn, I think I remember reading that your bro is headed your way soon...He sounded pretty excited. Better clean up those fly lines, do an inventory of those fly boxes, and find that working man some fish to hassle!

Good luck!

Spence

OldredbarnJuly 20th, 2011, 11:04 am
Novi, MI

http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/marryat.htm

Anyone going to hazzard a quess before I change it up? I posted it for the newbie to our site from Great Britian and he seems to have faded away. Keystoner thought it was me...Wow! Gonzo asked me just how old I was, but give me a break...Check out that cap! Is that a dandy or what?!

The answer is George Selwyn Marryat...If you ever enjoyed an omelette at the Grayling Restaurant you would have tried harder...Guess I'm eating there alone...:(

Spence

SayfuAugust 22nd, 2011, 2:39 pm
Cast and blast time of year..fun stuff. And trying to double haul and lead a duck is no easy task. I use lots of duck feathers in soft hackles...CDC a lot as well.
KeystonerAugust 22nd, 2011, 10:10 pm

Excuse me if I'm stupid. But, would someone please explain, what exactly is a "double haul"???

Oh, and Spence, that IS you in your picture now. Correct??
EntomanAugust 23rd, 2011, 3:19 am
Northern CA & ID

Hi Keystoner -

That is either Spence or Ernest Hemingway, depending on whether he is again putting up anglers from the past. Ok... You have to squint.

Double hauling has two meanings:

One is the casting technique where you haul the line (actually a well timed pull) as the rod is loading on the back cast and then drifting back with the line hand as it unloads. What makes it a double is doing it again as the rod is loading on the forward cast. Its purpose is to build line speed and gain distance. Living in Oregon, you are going to learn all about it real soon.

The other is what Spence has to do to get all his flies and gear to the boat or river, as the case may be.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuAugust 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am
And I've actually seen a triple haul performed, and recommended when casting into the wind. The last haul is a quick tug to snap the fly down on the water before the wind blows it off course. Kinda like kissing a ducks butt without getting feathers up your nose...phewwww...but you gotta be quick!
GutcutterAugust 23rd, 2011, 1:17 pm
Pennsylvania

That is either Spence or Ernest Hemingway

It's Spence. Everybody knows that if it were Ernie, he would be wearing a Florida Panthers jersey...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
OldredbarnAugust 23rd, 2011, 1:48 pm
Novi, MI

I re-read my post above and it doesn't make any sense now that we took down George Selwyn Marryat...My hat is rather ordinary...

Ernest Hemingway???!!! You know that game..."So many degrees of Kevin Bacon?" Or some such...Hemingway's family had a place on Walloon Lake near Petosky and my half brother lived at the bottom end of Walloon Lake for a few years. Ok...Many, many degrees removed from both Kevin Bacon & Hemingway...:)

Tony...You know he shot himself, right? If you or I ever saw him in a Florida Panther's "sweater" ;) we may have to take a few shots at him ourselves...:) May even have to burn his books or something!

When I started college a millenia ago my mother bought me a typewriter...Remember those? Someone had one of those old long billed caps with the pull down flaps and they stuck a pencil behind my ear and I sat in front of the machine and tried to affect my very best Hemingway...Bottom line...We both had a beard and fished Michigan for trout. That's about it.

For Whom the Lunch Bell Tolls! It tolls for me. My wife is standing at the door of my office with her arms folded telling me lunch is ready...Chow...I mean Ciao!

Spence

The other is what Spence has to do to get all his flies and gear to the boat or river, as the case may be
This is funny Kurt...Spencer's "double-haul" probably includes a few Molsons/two trillion flies/spare leaders/tippet spools galore/an aqarium net/a rain jacket/net/bug dope in a variety of flavors/etc...etc. :) I just read a memorial for an old Au Sable Angler where his wife sprinkled her late husband's ashes on the river...My wife won't have to worry about that step...I fall over and that's where I'll lie...On the bottom of the stream...Food for carnivorous caddis larvae...They would need a crane to raise me back up...;)

EntomanAugust 23rd, 2011, 5:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence - Ha! My Catholic upbringing constantly reinforced the notion that in the end we're all just "food for worms". If that be the case, it's perhaps fitting that caddis worms do the deed on our sorry carcasses. :) Of course, may that day be as far into the future as possible. We have more fish to fool...

Regards,

Kurt

PS - Forgot the Molsons.... Perhaps the "Triple Haul" that Sayfu mentioned is more in line with reality?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.