Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > ROD CASES

BenjlanJanuary 8th, 2011, 3:54 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

Hey Everyone,

I have a question about rod cases, I'm so cheap that I have a hard time spending a lot on a rod case. The rods always come with one, but I like the reel to remain on the rod. I get to the the stream and the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of time rigging a rod. Does anyone know of an inexpensive brand, used to buy sci. anglers, but can't find them anymore. I don't want junk, I would like to protect my investment. But in the grand scheme of things the case doesn't catch fish. I would like to focus my money on things that do catch fish not an over priced piece of luggage. Any ideas?

Ben M
EricdJanuary 8th, 2011, 4:29 pm
Mpls, MN

The Bargain Cave at Cabela's is where I buy mine. They usually only have them in the stores though. Road trip to Prairie du Chien.
KeystonerJanuary 10th, 2011, 6:02 am
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Hey man, can't really help you with a case that will let you keep the reel on the rod. However I use PVC pipe for all of my rod cases. How's that for cheap?? Personally, I don't mind taking the time to "rig up" as I find it helps me quiet my nerves, which I feel leads to better fishing. Good luck on your quest, hope you find what youre looking for.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
RogueratAugust 5th, 2011, 2:29 pm
I've been rigging my rods the night before (or morning of) a trip with a fly already on the tippet, then just 'break' the rod down in halves and slide the whole thing into the case. get to the river, pull both halves out and assemble the rod, pull the tippet then leader out through the tip-top until line itself is free and begin casting.

rod cases are Cabela's- fairly cheap, sturdy, padded, and acceptable in the color selection.

I Peter 5:7...Cast your cares upon Him'
BenjlanAugust 7th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

Just bought some of those cases. Seemed like a good value.
OldredbarnAugust 12th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Novi, MI

I've been rigging my rods the night before (or morning of) a trip with a fly already on the tippet, then just 'break' the rod down in halves and slide the whole thing into the case. get to the river, pull both halves out and assemble the rod, pull the tippet then leader out through the tip-top until line itself is free and begin casting.

Roguerat,

Are these trout or something else you're chasing? As a neurotic "match-the-hatcher" this procedure would be impossible for me...How do you know for sure what they want for dinner the night before?! :) Sometimes I'm not sure what they are eating until they hold up their little signs that say, "Blue-Winged-Olives please!" ;)

With all the tradition that my obsessive-compulsive brain has taken in over the years the above move would be like nails across a chalkboard...Maybe I just need to seek help, eh?!

I never put any of my gear away wet. I have a chamois cloth to dry it and a silicon impregnated rag from a gun shop to polish it up for the next time out...I scrub my cork from time-to-time to remove my hand dirt & grease...I don't know...I'm just hung up...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
RogueratAugust 14th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Spence-
I just find I can get in- or on- the water quicker if I'm pre-rigged with a fly. It already takes a while to get into the waders, boots, etc, due to my ankles being fused from rebuilds (breakages, really ugly!), so if I can shave some minutes off it's OK with me. I tie on whatever fly the Shop says is du jour and they're usually in or close to the ballpark- Great Lakes Flyfishing gets a plug at this point. if that's not 'it' I just cut it off and tie on what they (might) want.
for boat fishing I always have 2 or 3 rods rigged- one with a dry for trout or a topwater for Smallies, one with a wet, and one with a streamer- just in case.

I never leave a wet fly on the tippet, always cut it off when done for the day and add it to the fleece patch on my vest. get home, strip the line off the reel and dry it while winding back on- then strip it again and run it through a cleaning box with Glide on the pads to dress it.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.