Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Rumpelstiltskin

Shawnny3January 7th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I wanted to share my latest artistic tying project with you guys. It's a necklace pendant fashioned after the Brothers Grimm fairy tale Rumpelstiltskin. The fly incorporates just three materials besides thread: Flax, gold, and ostrich herl. The entire necklace and pendant is one seamless piece, woven together from the clasps at the tip of the necklace chain to the tail of the fly.

The piece was commissioned by Anthropologie and is the January feature on their artistic site, The Anthropologist. I have more pictures and background on the artistic vision behind the fly on my site, www.davisflydesigns.com.

It was a really difficult fly to conceive and execute (the whole process took about 6 months), and I'm really happy with the result. I hope you guys like it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
PaulRobertsJanuary 8th, 2011, 8:58 am
Colorado

VERY cool, Shawn.
Shawnny3January 9th, 2011, 8:00 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks, Paul.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
JADJanuary 9th, 2011, 9:09 am
Alexandria Pa

Shawn
What a display of talent,(Again) simply outstanding.
The hook profile picture--How much is a box of hundred with out the barb.

Best
John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
OldredbarnJanuary 9th, 2011, 9:34 am
Novi, MI

Shawn,

OK! You have done it now mister! I made the mistake :) of showing it to my wife Lisa and she flipped! She loves it. Made me send the link to her twin sister in AZ...Wants to know how much it costs and is looking at my vise with a weird stare and I see gears turning...Her comments, "Spence that is really, really, cool! You have to send that to Gilda."

It was bad enough when I discovered, years ago, that she was using my "good" scissors to open up button holes on garments she had made...I thought by putting my tying bench in the basement that would be good enough...I'll be moving it in to the woods out back next just to keep you creative types away from my utilitarian tool...

I guess all those long, cold, snowy winters up there in Ithaca sparked the creative side of your brain!

Good stuff!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3January 9th, 2011, 11:32 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks, guys.

John, with the bulk discount, the total will come to $60,000 (with a comma, not a decimal), plus PA sales tax. We can arrange a shipping date sometime next year - I'll waive those charges. Just PM me your credit card info and I'll get started filling your order.

Spence, thank you. This one is one of a kind and not for sale, so you have an easy out with the wife (just don't show her the Gray Ghost pendant I actually do have for sale). Nicely told story about her reaction - made me laugh more than once.

Again, guys, I appreciate the affirmation. This was a very difficult and long project, and it's nice to have it appreciated by people and tiers I respect and admire as much as I do you guys.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
OldredbarnJanuary 10th, 2011, 7:43 am
Novi, MI

Gray Ghost pendant...Bob Summers cane rod...Gray Ghost pendant...Bob Summers cane rod...hmmmm...Thanks for the heads up Shawn, I'll be a little more careful next time out! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Flatstick96January 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm
I've told Shawn this already, but I'll say it again here:

The more time I spend studying the macro photos of this piece, the more I'm blown away by the extent (and intricacy) of the detail work. I literally cannot even imagine how one would go about designing, or executing, this piece. It's absolutely stunning, and the "wonder" only grows the more I study it...
Shawnny3January 11th, 2011, 6:55 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks, Duaney.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Trout11BJanuary 28th, 2011, 11:30 am
NW Wisconsin

Shawn

Your truly gifted. I especially like your grey ghost replica. The flies in your gallery are amazing.

Ryan.
Balancing school, military, relationships, sports and all the other things in my life with fly fishing.
Shawnny3January 28th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thank you, Ryan. I appreciate your kind words.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.