Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Steelhead Fishing?

JesseOctober 13th, 2010, 3:44 pm
Hey everyone i know it's short notice but i am headed to Idaho this coming weekend to fish the Salmon River for some metal heads. This will be my first time fishing for them and i was wondering if anyone has fished this particular river during this time of year and could advise some good flies? If not general fly fishing tips on fly selections for them and methods would be great for this time of year also? I don't want to sound to picky but im sort of trying to stay away from having to throw egg patterns, good or bad idea?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRobertsOctober 14th, 2010, 8:47 am
Colorado

I haven't fished there. But anywhere you hit that's new I'd first Google and call shops ahead for advice on the river. Things to look at are:

-River size and flow, which will give you a bead on gear and rigging.

-How many runs there are and whether there will be fresh and/or earlier run fish in. Also where they are apt to be on the river at that time.

-Get a bead on the weather trend -where from the norm (seasonal) and previous week. This may affect how far fish are willing to migrate, or move for a fly.

-Fish size and predilections. I have a friend there who corresponded with me a while back and he was loving the surface fishing -skating. But I don't know how late in the year that goes. Since Idaho fish are a ways up from the ocean I believe many feed well while in the river.

-Wets and streamers catch steelhead. Don't worry about pattern -make up your own -it's usually more about technique than pattern. Have some natural and fluorescents -thinking water color and change up.

There are usually some steelhead closer to the banks than many people realize, so it can be a good idea to take a few casts before you step in.
SayfuOctober 7th, 2011, 3:53 pm
I have. A good approach would be to swing a #6 at biggest, and preferably a #8 36890 steelhead type hook in purples, green combo with purple, blue is popular, and the hot one last year was designed by a Salmon River steelhead guide that was pink..short pink tail, thin pink body, and pink hackle with a white hackle forward of it. Not a dark pink, or very light pink, but pink, and a #8 size steelhead hook. The area around North Fork, and below should hold fish RIGHT NOW! WE have had snow, and wet weather for 4 straight days now. Weather will be nice this weekend, then several days more of wet weather, then nice again. Good steelheadin!
SayfuOctober 7th, 2011, 4:10 pm
Forgot the line. IF the weather hasn't turned too cold, and the water temp stays above 48 degrees, then a dry line will work. If colder a sink tip will produce better getting the fly down some. If bright sunny days, the 3PM on later in the day fishing produces better once the sun angles off the water. I use a 9 1/2 ft 7 wt. single hander. Lots of guys now spey casting.
SayfuOctober 8th, 2011, 9:18 am
Ouch! Still learning to use this darn thread! Now I see Jesse's post was Oct. of 2010 !!..day late, a dollar short.
SayfuOctober 10th, 2011, 8:50 am
Posts: 560Jesse, How'd you do on the Salmon? I took my boat out yesterday on the SF of the Snake, and a Salmon guide, the one that designed that pink fly pulled into the ramp. I asked him when he was going over to the Salmon to guide, and he said this week, and told me the run is another good one...140,000 steelhead will enter the Salmon it is predicted.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.