Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Shadows, Page 2

OldredbarnSeptember 12th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Novi, MI

Guys...I've been up on the Au Sable with my nephew taking part in our annual river clean up and have been, thankfully, away from the computer.

Will all of you please read again, very slowly what I posted, it had little to do with, nothing actually, the whole Koran thing and I'm sorry I used it to make my point.

How is it that, just that, is what everyone got from what I wrote?

I think the post was something about the learning process itself, the limits on that process, and the risks of betting the farm on what we think we know.

Maybe the point I was trying to make, a somewhat negative philosophical one, didn't really belong in a fishing blog, but I know for sure that I made a mistake when I included what I did and I appologise!

Ortega y Gasset once said something like, "Man has no nature, only a history"...Knowing what we should know of that history we shouldn't feel too confident in just about anything!

Sorry!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MT319September 13th, 2010, 5:13 am
NY

I was responding to Slate about the torching Quarans thing cause it reminded me of the stunt that clown pastor was going to pull at the time coupled with the fact that my dad works at the WTC...he then mentioned something stemming from what I wrote about a couple assertions one of his past professor's made which is one of the areas I've done a solid amount of work in myself so I was elaborating further on what he was saying and telling him while that seemed a bit out there at the time he heard it..it's actually widely accepted nowadays as it is in fact the reality situation...nothing to apologize about man
SlateDrake9September 13th, 2010, 6:04 am
Potter County, PA

Sorry. I was just writing out my idea to increase my catch rate during the Trico hatch.

Then I read another thread that got me to thinking and I got a bit off track.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
OldredbarnSeptember 13th, 2010, 8:32 am
Novi, MI

Slate & MT,

Don't worry about it...As they say, "We be cool!"

I just have to limit my ramblings here to fly fishing and not try to extrapolate so much...:) You know, "the meaning of life or lack thereof from Spence."

I need to get out in the middle of a stream more! I spent the weekend up on a river cleanup on the Au Sable, here in Michigan, and my 11 year old nephew (he kept reminding me he will be 12 in 10 days) tagged along. That sort of thing is good for refueling and removing some of the "grump" from old uncle Spence. Kind of brought back some good old memories from the 60's when my gramps was dragging me in to the woods in northern Michigan to harrass bunnies...

I stood my nephew in front of a beautiful white pine at the north Higgins Lake state park...They estimated that it started to grow there in 1854...I leaned over and said, "And you think 12's a big deal!" One of the old-timers wading with us on our clean-up beat asked him when he was born and he answered 1998...He looked at me and winked and said, "That was just yesterday!"

I guess that old pine will abide, the good old Au Sable will abide, and if we humans are lucky we will somehow survive all the wack-o's that seem to be oozing from the wood works these days...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.