Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Delaware Striper

WbranchAugust 23rd, 2010, 6:26 am
York & Starlight PA

I was fishing the Delaware for trout last Thursday and had a vicious take on a streamer. Thought I had a great trout and the fight lasted a long time before I was able to get the fish near the Hyde in deep water. Initially I thought it was a big walleye looking down at the width of the shoulders, but when it turned on it's side I was excited to see it was a good sized striper. I was by myself so had to resort to laying the fish in the bottom of the boat and taking the picture with my cell phone camera.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnAugust 23rd, 2010, 10:17 am
Novi, MI

Matt,

That must of been a treat!

There is an impoundment we ice fish sometimes near here and it has a smorgas-board of fish...pike, large-mouth, crappie, perch, bluegill etc...You never know what may snatch your offering and it makes it a bit more exciting.

I have tried to look it up and was unable to find it, but a friend of mines chiropractor, was trowling in the Detroit river a few years back for Walleye and actually hooked a monster sturgeon that was almost as big as the boat he was in...It was in the local papers here and I guess it was quite a battle.

I don't know that river, but is it dam free up to where you were fishing? Where did this guy come from do you think?

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GutcutterAugust 25th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Pennsylvania

matt
what an awesome fish to catch on trout tackle. i chase them from my float tube on a local impoundment and even on my light saltwater gear find that an 8 pounder pulls me around a good bit!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Windknot79August 25th, 2010, 7:08 pm
on a stream

A buddy of mine gets them in the spring time up near Milford PA on the river.Interesting to see them there this time of year they should be in the salt.I have caught bass up to 24lbs in the salt on my 8wt lots of fun.
Shawnny3August 25th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Very impressive fish, Matt. Congratulations!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNWAugust 27th, 2010, 7:15 pm
Chambersburg, PA

MAtt,
Great fish and I'm glad to hear the river is in good shape for trout fishing as well.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchSeptember 3rd, 2010, 1:19 pm
York & Starlight PA

I know not many forum members fish the Delaware system very much but there are actually quite good numbers of stripers in the main stem pretty much throughout the fishing season. I have had numerous instances where I have been playing trout as large as 17" and had stripers come in and either follow the trout closely or actually attack it and swim off with it while I'm still hooked up with the trout. I have seen some huge stripers in the 20# class while floating in the lower river from Long Eddy downstream.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.