Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The Xerces Society???

OldredbarnOctober 1st, 2009, 7:41 am
Novi, MI

Hey! I just received in the mail a brochure from the Xerces Society?? I thought maybe Gonzo et al may know something about it. They are looking for money and claim that they are interested in, "Protecting wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat". Does anyone know anything about them?

I was told once about a conversation between someone from the Anglers of the Au Sable and a Michigan DNR rep and he had made a comment that went something like this, "We can't manage for invertebrates!"...I guess there is no political "glamor" with the general public in regards to bugs...But we all know that the bugs we watch and imitate are like canaries in a mine and once they are gone we are in serious trouble and our fresh water is in jeopardy.

Here in Michigan the Huron River Watershed Committee watches over the Huron river. It runs through Ann Arbor and ends up downriver from Detroit in Lake Erie. A couple times a year they have volunteers wade the river and collect invertebrates and are especially looking for the lowly Stonefly. It is the canary in the mine and as we know doesn't tolerate compromised water very well.

After the bugs are collected there is a party and entomologists from U of M discuss the results and discribe the critters found. Sounds like fun, eh?! Especially to us bug nerds!

Anyway! Just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this group...The Xerces Society?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonOctober 1st, 2009, 11:12 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Spence-

Yes, The Xerces Society is very legitimate. They are based in Oregon, and do exactly what they claim to do. Some years ago, I had extensive contact with one of their (then) staff, Jeff Adams, who was instrumental in producing a CD, which contains approximately 5000 identified macro photos of aquatic macroinvertebrates from the Pacific Northwest. Particularly in these tough economic times, they are likely strapped like most everyone else, and in desperate need of some financial support.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
KonchuOctober 2nd, 2009, 12:59 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

I helped lead a workshop for them several years ago. Totally legit and very committed.

http://www.xerces.org/
OldredbarnOctober 3rd, 2009, 7:38 am
Novi, MI

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the info.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.