Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Trout for Obama

TroutnutApril 7th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I couldn't pass up posting this little feel-good story I found on MidCurrent.

At a rally in Missoula, Montana the other day, Barack Obama said,

"You guys have a good deal around here. This is some pretty country. I think I need to learn fly fishing. Get some waders, go out there, clear my head."

He even signed a trout (ok, a picture of one):

Among those who had to wait in the football stadium was Dan Taylor, a 46-year-old cook at a local sports bar who had been inspired to make a sign for the rally. He broke down a cardboard box and drew on it, in bold colors, "TROUT FOR OBAMA," accompanied by a colorful illustration of a rainbow trout, which he drew with the help of a book, because he "wanted to get it authentic-looking."

An Obama staffer saw the sign in the stands, told Taylor, "Hey, that's pretty," and offered to try to get it signed by the candidate, even though his staff generally tries not to bog him down with pen duty. After Obama walked the length of the stands shaking hands, the staffer got the cardboard signed and passed it back up to Taylor. Five minutes later, the cook was still in shock, looking down at his fish with a dark, clearly legible "Barack Obama" cursive next to it.

Pssst, Barack... there's no better fish to learn on than Arctic grayling! And there's no better place to fish for grayling than my current home river, the Chena. Hint, hint!

Note: Any argumentative political replies will be deleted immediately because they're destructive to a forum community. I just posted this 'cause it's a nice, relevant story. So the rule for this thread is: if you don't have anything nice to say (about Obama) don't say anything at all. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3April 8th, 2008, 4:30 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

What if I have something nice to say about Hillary?

-Shawn

P.S. Nice story.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Chris_3gApril 8th, 2008, 6:32 am
Posts: 59We don't really need to say anything bad about the candidates; they do a fine job of tearing themselves down without our help!

Fun story!

Chris.
MtskibumApril 8th, 2008, 11:32 am
Montana

He was just saying what people from montana want to hear. He doesnt actually want to take up fly fishing.

I dont mind banning political threads, or allowing them and allowing discussion, but discussion does involve negative things.

You saying that we cant say negative things about obama, also kind of implies that he is the official candidate of the site. Since you being the person in charge of the site starting a thread on him and then not allowing negative comments.
FalsiflyApril 8th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Hayward, WI.

"TROUT FOR OBAMA,"

OK, I can understand the Trout endorsing Obama. Maybe they think that he is the only candidate that can get them off the hook.

Pssst, Barack... there's no better fish to learn on than Arctic grayling! And there's no better place to fish for grayling than my current home river, the Chena. Hint, hint!

However, I doubt that the Arctic grayling would agree with that endorsement now that Jason has offered to put them on the hook.

Note: Any argumentative political replies will be deleted immediately because they're destructive to a forum community. I just posted this 'cause it's a nice, relevant story. So the rule for this thread is: if you don't have anything nice to say (about Obama) don't say anything at all. ;)

Now, I believe in the democratic process and my right to express my opinion and I will abide by the above stated rule. To qualify myself let me say that I like Obama.

All that being said, should someone suggest a forum vote, all being done within the rules stated, a simple vote for either the Trout or the Grayling, with added comments at your own peril, I would support the Grayling.

Any subliminal message herein is neither expressed nor implied by me. I leave that to your imagination.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GONZOApril 8th, 2008, 12:23 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Falsifly, I'm confused. Can we follow the rules of the "Texas Two-Step" and vote in both the primary and the caucus, or do we have to wait for the superdelegates to decide?
FalsiflyApril 8th, 2008, 1:44 pm
Hayward, WI.

Gonzo- The “Trout for Obama” caucus has obviously made its endorsement. The “Arctic Grayling” as yet have not made an endorsement, so it would appear that they have not formed a caucus. But, it is my opinion that it will not be Obama. So until the “Arctic Grayling” can get their tails together and come up with a candidate, you’re ‘Texas Two-Step’ question is a mute point. What we need is a nomination. I saw that Shawn had something good to say about Hillary maybe he would like to make a first. After the nomination process is complete, thus forming a caucus, we can discuss the primary, caucus, superdelegate and “Texas Two-Step” voting rules. I hope that clears things up.

PS. I would be willing to travel to the Chena to present the nomination.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
TroutnutApril 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Well, Alaska did go for Obama over Hillary 74-25, so that might indicate where the allegiances of grayling lie. However, I don't recall seeing any of them at the caucus for either candidate. It was -35F at the time, so they might have just had a hard time getting out from under the ice. Or they might have been across town in the Republican building voting for Ron Paul... it's hard to say. I would ask the next one I catch, but it would probably just tell me what I want to hear so that I let it go.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
MartinlfApril 9th, 2008, 9:24 am
Palmyra PA

I'm hoping PA will make me proud. He is narrowing the gap daily here.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3April 9th, 2008, 2:22 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Hillary is a nice person. There, I said it.

Wow, does it feel good to get that off my chest.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutApril 9th, 2008, 5:35 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Funny!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
GONZOApril 9th, 2008, 6:14 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Yeah, that's just another of Shawn's little jokes, but I'm very glad that this thread has retained a light-hearted tone. (It was touch-and-go for a moment.) If only trout could vote...(you can finish that thought however you'd like).
Shawnny3April 9th, 2008, 7:32 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I take offense at the implication that I was joking.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3April 9th, 2008, 7:34 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

The only reason for all my one-line posts was really just to catch up to Gonzo. Now that he's back, though, I guess I'll just go ahead and give up again. And to think that I got to within 300 posts of him...

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZOApril 9th, 2008, 7:54 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Don't give up so quickly, Shawn! Here's a little tip: Just post a pile of psuedoauthoritative babble on the bug threads and wait for the entomologists and other scientists to take the bait. Before long you'll accumulate a mass of arcane posts that nobody (including the scientists) can decipher. I'm surprised that more people haven't figured this out. Maybe it's just insecurity caused by inappropriate "genus envy." :)

PS--Actually, I just started posting again to keep Louis from developing an insurmountable lead. Hell, he was posting so often that I was afraid that he was talking to himself. ;)
FalsiflyApril 9th, 2008, 9:12 pm
Hayward, WI.

Gonzo- After having said that I'm thinking maybe you should run for President
Falsifly
GONZOApril 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Of what? No, wait, don't answer that!!!
FalsiflyApril 9th, 2008, 9:35 pm
Hayward, WI.

Gonzo - You must be running for President you are working so late.
Falsifly
GONZOApril 9th, 2008, 9:48 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

"Working?" No, just the opposite. Pathetic, isn't it?
FalsiflyApril 9th, 2008, 9:52 pm
Hayward, WI.

I just finished up on the Olive hatch. It was running rather late tonight.
Falsifly
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.