Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Nuclear Spinner Redux

MartinlfJune 10th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Palmyra PA

We haven't had a good laugh in a while so I though I'd bring back the glow spinner topic and note that the ideal place to fish it is in the head of a shallow pool with a good spinner fall. One can wade slowly and fish it a rod length away and see every take. Very exciting for the radioactive minded.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJune 10th, 2009, 8:02 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

You are both clever and resourceful, Louis. And I will happily concede the effectiveness of your radioactive spinner. I have just one question: When that sly old brown escaped into the branches of that tree, was it still wearing your glowing concoction? I only ask because it might make the fish easier to spot should I return to that spot one evening. :)
MartinlfJune 11th, 2009, 7:45 am
Palmyra PA

No, he shook the fly out. But it is a perfect spot for the fly, and I suspect I'll return next season for another go at the old boy.

--Fred Chappell
JADJune 11th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Alexandria Pa

One night (A long time ago).
That fly saved my life, I was cold wet, starving, and home sick for my fishing trailer. I was way up stream and the darkness over took me, Well sir, I took that nuke spinner that old Newt gave me, I held it high over my head and it showed me the way home. Some of the local fellers ended up hanging that fly from the telephone pole and we have been using it for a night light ever after.

That my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tight Lines.

jad

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
GONZOJune 11th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

John,

You gotta love a fly that not only catches fish but also lights your way home. We now have two ways of locating Louis on the stream: Either look for the eerie glow or listen for the call of "Hold 'er Newt, she's headed for the pea patch!" In the case of the big brown mentioned above, I suspect that either would have worked. :)
MartinlfJune 12th, 2009, 6:25 am
Palmyra PA

John, that story reminds me of the one you told about he squirrel and the log. Could you find it and bring it back up for those who haven't read it?

Wait, I fount it. See "Cold Outside" thread. Look in the middle of the thread by going to the top and scrolling down. The story starts,

Hi everyone.

I have another picture of The little j . . .

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfJune 7th, 2012, 1:41 am
Palmyra PA

This thread refers to a story of some fish caught and one lost on one of Gonzo's favorite streams. It was a perfect riffle for the glow spinner, and after landing some nice fish I had a big brown jump up into an overhanging branch just after hookset and the fly came out before the fish hit the water.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.