Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New to Northern New Mexico

TarponflyAugust 27th, 2021, 8:25 am
Corpus Christi, Texas and Santa Fe, NM

I am a long time, avid fly fisherman who recently bought a place in Northern New Mexico (Santa Fe) where I spend a fairly sizeable chunk of my time. I live permanently in Corpus Christi, Texas on the Gulf coast, so saltwater species and poled skiffs have my primary pursuits for the last 20+ years. However, I love cold water fishing and have been trying to fumble my way around NM. Having fished Colorado, MT and WYO with some frequency, I am finding much fewer and more crowded spots than I certainly hoped. I have fished with guides, but it is always on a private lease where you pay a gate fee to enter. I have found fish on the Pecos and in the Jemez Mountains, but pressure is insane. There has to be some place within a several hour drive of Santa Fe that offers decent public water (even if it means a reasonable hike).

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
TaoskiSeptember 2nd, 2021, 11:07 am
Abq NM

Hi Tarponfly, welcome to the land of enchantment!

There is definitely solitude to be found, but you may have to walk a little to find it. Without doing much hiking, try the Rio Grande between Pilar and the Taos Junction bridge or at the John Dunn Bridge. All of the major tributaries can be great.

If you are willing & able to hike in a mile or two before you start, your options open up. A few places to try:
-Pecos above Cowels
-Any of the high-country Pecos lakes
-Any of the streams flowing north and west from the Pecos (Rio Santa Barbra, Truchas, etc). Rio Pueblo along HY518 is a personal fave.
-San Antonio Creek above HY126 up to the headwaters (I'm being intentionally vague here but feel free to PM).
-Rio Grande in the Wild & Scenic Rivers area (near Questa & Red River confluence)
-Chama below El Vado Reservoir (or below Abiquiu during the winter).
Also @Red_green_h may fill you in on the San Pedro Parks area... serious solitude but serious hiking.

And of course going mid-week will always less the change of seeing other anglers.

Hope that helps get you started!
RetyerSeptember 4th, 2021, 7:49 am
About 200 miles north west you will find the San Juan and Animas rivers. They merge in Farmington NM. These are quite popular, so I wouldn't guarantee solitude. Late fall and winter months would be better than summer.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.