Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Quick bug stop on the Dosewallips River

Quick bug stop on the Dosewallips River

By Troutnut on July 6th, 2020
This long day trip from home to the Olympic Peninsula was primarily an attempt to dig a geoduck, a Pacific Northwest delicacy and the largest species of burrowing clam. I built a special tool to help dig them up from 3 feet under the sediment in the tidal flat off the Dosewallips River estuary, where the big clams are exposed only during the lowest tides of the summer. They're apparently located among the eelgrass at this beach by locating where they spurt jets of water 5-10 feet into the air as the tide recedes or rises. Unfortunately, I didn't see a single jet of water nor any other sign of a geoduck, even with the tide dropping to -2.8 feet.

My consolation prizes were some delicious steamer clams (manila clams), an easy find higher in the tidal zone, and some bugs to photograph from a short sampling stop upriver.

Photos by Troutnut from the Dosewallips River in Washington

From the Dosewallips River in Washington.
Date TakenJul 6, 2020
Date AddedJul 12, 2020
AuthorTroutnut
CameraiPhone XS

Closeup insects by Troutnut from Mystery Creek #249 and the Dosewallips River in Washington

Comments / replies

WbranchJuly 16th, 2020, 5:38 am
York & Starlight PA

Wow, what a great looking pool! You should of fished there awhile.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutJuly 16th, 2020, 9:44 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I had brought fly fishing gear, but we had to get back. This part of the Olympic Peninsula doesn't have much resident trout fishing, as far as I know. It's almost completely a sea-run fishery and the run wasn't in yet.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.
Most Recent Posts
Re: large free living caddis rhyacophila?
In the Identify This! Board by Kjfeen (Taxon replied)