> > new guy here

Report at a Glance

General Regiondesert southwest
Specific LocationPhoenix
Conditions & Hatcheslost at sea in the desert

Details and Discussion

EdmashburnDecember 26th, 2016, 4:23 am
Phoenix, AZ

Good morning to all- I found this meeting place of anglers, and I appreciate the information imparted here.
I'm an outdoor writer and retired teacher who has relocated from the Gulf Coast of Alabama- God, how I miss my redfish on a 9 wt rig- to the desert of Arizona. Story's too squalid to relate how we came to be here, but we're here.
I brought my kayaks and my fly gear with me, and I have caught a few trout in the White Mountains of Arizona, but getting to decent fishing water is not easy. I do miss being able to walk to good fishing and drive in less than an hour to fabulous fishing. But enough of that.
I hope to be able to tell you all- there's a residual Southernese expression for you- about catching some high country rainbows and tiger trout- which is to me a most intriguing fish- this winter and spring. But until then, I value highly reading about your fishing and catching efforts- most enlightening.
Good to meet you all, and happy new year to you. Let's go fishing.
Ed
MartinlfDecember 26th, 2016, 6:38 am
Palmyra PA

Welcome, Ed. I'll try to bump up my Arizona trip for your interest. My nephew lives in Phoenix.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsDecember 28th, 2016, 6:12 am
Colorado

Welcome, Ed. It is difficult re-settling. I too have grown roots, and yanked them -several times. Enjoy the reading, chatting, and planning. The roots will re-grow. Lotsa glory out there.
EdmashburnDecember 28th, 2016, 8:50 am
Phoenix, AZ

Good morning to all-
Yes, I appreciate that learning new waters and new ways will happen.
I learned trout fishing in the Ozarks of Arkansas and Missouri, and for the past 20 years, I was on the Gulf Coast where I fished for reds, speckled sea trout, king mackerel and any other fool fish that showed up eager to eat.I finally hooked my first tarpon this past summer- now that is a fish that I am going to miss badly while in the desert.
I write for Florida Sportsman, Great Days Outdoors, and several other South-based publications, and I have a new book in to the publisher to be worked through for release at some time in the future.
I hope to get back up to the White Mountains for some trout fishing perhaps this weekend- I have a new 4 wt that has never been bent in combat. If I get up there and get in contact with a trout,I will let you all know about it.
Good fishing to all- Ed

PaulRobertsDecember 31st, 2016, 11:53 am
Colorado

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.
PartsmanDecember 31st, 2016, 1:25 pm
bancroft michigan

Welcome Ed, I learned a lot about trout fishing on the White river in Arkansas, my Grandpa and Grandma Rogers lived about 2-3 miles below Bull Shoals Dam in the mid 1960s and early 70s. What a blast we had as kids! My parents live in Cottonwood Arizona now, I have not fished out there, although I have read that the Verde river, and Oak creek are good fishing. Also Payson creek is supposed to be good. The next time I go out there I'm packing a rod and some flies.

Mike
EdmashburnJanuary 1st, 2017, 8:39 am
Phoenix, AZ

Good morning to all-
Mike- Learning to trout fish on the White Rive is really not the best place to learn the complicated sets of skills involved.
On the White River, anglers can truly expect to catch fish on every trip, so we can come to expect to catch trout on every trip we take to whatever place we happen to be going- and not every place is like the White River.
I've seen brown trout so big when I fished the White a lot- they looked like logs sometimes- until they decided to swim off.
Good fishing to all-Ed

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.