Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > bitting more than i can chew

IEatimagoJuly 19th, 2007, 7:10 pm
Spring Mills, PA

So, i live in a small town named spring mills in central PA right off penns creek, and in this small town we have a rod and gun club that has a small stretch of water, and a small abandoned nursery.(1 race track some aerators) So i decided that this was a waste and it needed to be operational again and asked around about it now i dont know if its my age or appearance but i dont think i was taken seriously until last night when finally i was given permission to open it up again if i wanted to.
But, i dont know even where to start other than i need to clean out the race track.
So what i'm asking is if anyone on here has any experience in this subject?
this is a great opportunity for me to get some experience in a field i plan on going to school for next spring (fisheries science/aquatic entomology) and i really cant pass this up, so if anyone can point me in any direction that would be much appreciated and rewarded.

GrabbitJuly 19th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Columbus, OH

Check with Jim and Jonas over at the Feathered Hook in Coburn. They will point you in the right direction. Both share a wealth of knowledge about the going ons in that area. Please tell them Ron Greenen from Columbus Ohio sends his best and we'll be into those Trico's soon... also "Layla" is indeed fine and I've photographic documentation that she can still handle the big ole toads.

Good luck with your future studys, outwork everyone else (not just at the keg) and you will go far. 'Keep em out of the trees and in the feeding lanes'
......Grabbit......
Fishing with nymphs is for fat little kids... man up and throw a dry.
GONZOJuly 20th, 2007, 10:50 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Jasen,

I'm not sure what goals you have for the nursery other than gaining some hands-on experience with fish culture, but you might also want to talk to our own DMM (David). He's a fisheries biologist and has hatchery experience. I'm sure he can help with any technical questions. (There's also an old, but interesting section on basic fish/trout culture in McClane's encyclopedia, and I'm sure there's a wealth of stuff to sift through on the web.)
JOHNWJuly 20th, 2007, 7:01 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Grtabbit,
"Layla.........She's got me on my knees!.......
Another Dream Catcher Owner I see.

Ieat,
I'll second what he said also check with PAFBC not sure what type of liscensing may be required.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GrabbitJuly 21st, 2007, 5:59 am
Columbus, OH

JuanW,
You got that right. I met Wyatt D. a few years ago at the Hook... great person who loves his job... a real talent. How many people can you say that about? Anywho, I was in the right place at the right time and got my hands on the proto-type 'Layla'..... My God whatta shtyx Im blessed to own it.

Now to getting back to Mr.IEATimagopanty's.... Please don't go puttin stocker trout into the Penn unless you want half the flyfishing population to come and lynch you. To say "they like their wild fish in that river", is gross understatement... hell they may come and lynch you for just thinking about it. I would hate to change your screen name to IEATdirt. I can see it now.... a bunch of tweed wearing banker type fellows in TU approved white gowns and pointed hats burning tonkin torches marching thru Spring Mills. A Lynch Mob of this type would surely make for a great newsflash/full story at six account.

Just thought I'd shed some light on the worn out debate over the wild vs. stocked fish debacle. Being a newbie here I hope this thread will not stir the pot and start some sort of 'Forum War'... as I want no part of that.
Fishing with nymphs is for fat little kids... man up and throw a dry.
Shawnny3July 21st, 2007, 6:55 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Your point about stocking being controversial is right on, Grabbit, and a good caveat to someone new to this area (if memory serves). I suppose IEat could always grow his fish up on dog food, to the size of small dogs, and then sell them to Donny B for his "conservation" efforts on "wild, pristine" waters like Spruce "Creek" (...to stir another pot...).

And, speaking of stirring the pot, your signature line, Grabbit, is liable to spark a little emotion on here. There might be a few of us fat little kids insecure enough to take it personally.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
IEatimagoJuly 21st, 2007, 6:57 am
Spring Mills, PA

penns is already stocked in spring mills across from the post office march 9 april 20th and same with the sinking creek, and the spring mills fish and game association stocks it for their tournaments as-well with tagged fish.
my intentions are to eventually turn that section into a naturally breeding group of trout as I'm sure you know that section is already class B water and class A doesn't start till coburn.
my first idea was to put in whitlock-verbit boxes and hatch the eggs in the stream bottom but it was mentioned that i should try this first.
I'm going to have more problems with the locals if i try and make it catch and release then i would with stocking.
but thank you for your concern Grabbit.
GONZOJuly 21st, 2007, 10:09 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Jasen,
I applaud your choice of a future field of study and wish you all the best. Obviously, you're already learning an important lesson about that field: trout are political animals!

Grabbit,
There's little need to worry about "forum wars" here. Although opinions are frequently tested and challenged, and we sometimes engage in playful teasing, we all respect our mothers' admonitions to "play nice" with the other kids.
MartinlfJuly 21st, 2007, 12:42 pm
Palmyra PA

Shawn, fat little kids? Who are you kidding? I've seen you in person and don't believe that anyone with normal vision would consider you any more than average in weight tending to the thin side, sort of like me. So don't you go gettin' Grabbit worried. As for Penns, last time I was there I had lunch upstream from Coburn, I forget the town, but afterward walked over to a footbridge where I watched some kids catching stocked rainbows and releasing them. They had one gill hooked and decided to keep it, but everything else they let go. The stream had plenty of these fish. I did enjoy Grabbit's little story, though. It's just full enough of truth to be really funny.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
IEatimagoJuly 21st, 2007, 4:41 pm
Spring Mills, PA

louis was it water st. grill maybe?
i know they are near a foot birdge,
Shawnny3July 21st, 2007, 6:12 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I just realized that my comments before could be taken in a negative light. The last thing I want to do is discourage a young and enthusiastic person from taking an active part in conservation, especially when I don't really have any expertise to offer in fisheries biology. I wish you the best in your endeavors, IEat, and I'd love to swing by and see the fruits of your labor someday.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZOJuly 21st, 2007, 6:47 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Shawn, I thought your post was just suggesting one possible way to earn a few bucks for college. ;) But then, subjecting our buddy Jasen to the Dark Lord of Dollar$ might be too high a price to pay for tuition. (OK, sorry, I'll stop now.)
IEatimagoJuly 21st, 2007, 7:05 pm
Spring Mills, PA

ha-ha gonzo,
shawn i dont feel the negativity was directed towards me, but rather donny b.
although i have no experience dealing with him i will say i almost made the mistake of moving to the spruce creek area until 2 things happened 1. i was gonna buy some old house for cheap but i was #2 in line, 2. after that i was going to rent a farm house that had warriors mark running through the front yard but the owner of the house made it very clear that i was not going to be able to fish the water out of the front door because he leased it out to spring ridge club at that point i almost puked and said you cant hold cake in-front of me and not expect me to taste it.
but I'm very glad all that happened because i love my house here and my landlord.
and the area around here is isn't so snobby and "exclusive"
GONZOJuly 21st, 2007, 7:13 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

at that point i almost puked and said you cant hold cake in-front of me and not expect me to taste it.

:) :) :) Good on you, Jasen!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.