Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Anybody know more about Maccaffertium terminatum?

This topic is about the Mayfly Species Maccaffertium terminatum

I have found no information about this species in angling literature, but one mediocre evening on the West Branch of the Delaware I found them to be a substantial part of the mixed bag of cahills and other mayflies causing a half-hearted rise of trout. Read more...

There are 1 more specimens...

The Discussion

TroutnutJune 8th, 2007, 3:53 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I just wrote up what I found on the page for this species. I was mildly surprised to see so many of a species I've never seen mentioned in an angling context -- at least a few dozen throughout the evening. They piqued my curiosity.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KonchuJune 9th, 2007, 6:05 am
Site Editor
Indiana

What more do ya wanna know?
TroutnutJune 9th, 2007, 8:20 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Hatch timing, habitat preference, quirky behavior... anything relevant to fishing that might be associated with this species.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KonchuJune 11th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Larvae found on debris, rocks and aquatic vegetation in medium to large streams. Coarse sand/gravel substrate.

Spinners and duns are out around June-July in the Northeast and for a longer period (May-Aug) in the central and southern parts of its range.

Most of this was gleaned from:
Bednarik AF, McCafferty WP. 1979. Biosystematic revision of the genus Stenonema (Ephemeroptera: Heptageniidae). Can. Bull. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 201: 73 pp.

PS. This species was classified in the genus Stenonema until relatively recently.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.