Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > More May Trout

Wbranch has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
The surroundings have been altered to protect the innocent.
The surroundings have been altered to protect the innocent.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNYS Western Catskills
Specific LocationWest Branch & main stem Delaware
Time of Day10 - 5 & 6 - 9
Fish CaughtBrown Trout
Conditions & HatchesMarch Browns, Ep invaria, Ep dorothea, Ep subvaria spinners, spattering of Green Drakes and spinner of GD

Details and Discussion

WbranchMay 23rd, 2012, 5:41 pm
York & Starlight PA

Quite good, but not great fishing Thursday and Friday. Poor fishing all day Saturday due to high sun, 80 degree air, no insects. Sunday very windy from 10 - 8. Virtually unfishable. Three in the boat taking turns on one rising fish. They thought it was taking a dun but I saw a tail so I put on a piece of 6X 4" long and on it put a #20 Flashback BH PT. It ate the fly on the first drift. Lots of good talk, dark rum, coke, and lime. I was sleepy and gave up at 7:00 although we stayed on the river until total darkness.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123May 23rd, 2012, 8:41 pm
Oscoda, MI

Another nice brown there, Matt. Sounds like a good fishing trip except for the frustrating weather.

"The surroundings have been altered to protect..." YOUR fishing spot. And I don't blame you one little bit. We are about to experience the onslaught of terrorists - er, I mean TOURISTS - this coming weekend up here in Au Sable country. Time to go find those out-of-the way spots (i.e, little creeks full of brookies)...or check the smallies on Cooke Pond - got some real nice ones there last year on standard dries (white Elkhair caddis, White Wulff, I thnk both were size #12).

Thanks for telling us about your trip!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfMay 23rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Palmyra PA

Another pretty fish. You do target the black spotted ones.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123May 23rd, 2012, 9:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

Louis, maybe he just photographs the black-spotted ones. Or, he has some kind of special material in those glasses of his that allow him to detect the spots at casting distance...didn't he say something about working in materials science??

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchMay 23rd, 2012, 10:18 pm
York & Starlight PA

"...didn't he say something about working in materials science??"

During my working life I held a Secret clearance for over twenty years. Most of it was directly related to ordnance projects to keep the USA on the cutting edge of weapons. However there just might have been those special polyzirconite nano crystal lens that we were able to de-classify and fashion into special glasses that give me that edge to locate those black spotted browns.
Jmd123May 23rd, 2012, 10:42 pm
Oscoda, MI

I knew it!!! No wonder he always catches such nice (and black-spotted) freaking fish!!!

Although, it begs the question of why haven't you patented it and made billions of dollars? Or is that just a minor detail of your personal life that you keep hidden from us? "Matt's Super Spotter Fishing Glasses"...

Jonathon
WbranchMay 23rd, 2012, 11:23 pm
York & Starlight PA

"why haven't you patented it and made billions of dollars?"

More money won't make me any happier but having those secret glasses, and the ability to catch those, harder to catch, black spotted browns is worth not making those big bucks.
Jmd123May 24th, 2012, 12:30 am
Oscoda, MI

I had a feeling that was going to be your answer...or is it just that good old fisherman thing, "I have a secret weapon and I ain't gonna tell NOBODY!!!"

Jonathon
JesseMay 25th, 2012, 1:41 am
The fish in that river are magnificent!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
JOHNWMay 26th, 2012, 1:49 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Don't let him fool ya boys. The blurry background is from the Dark Rum, Coke, and Limes that he reported consuming.

Besides anyone can clearly tell that it is the Big Two Faced just above the junction with the Little Broken Heart exactly two miles below Busted Hull Shoal.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchMay 26th, 2012, 7:06 pm
York & Starlight PA

Darnit, that guy JW sure knows where my secret spots are!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.