or register.
Scientific name search:

> > McKenzie River

Report at a Glance

General RegionOregon
Specific LocationEugene
Time of DayEarly AM
Fish CaughtRedside!!
Conditions & HatchesClear, cold, and windy.

Details and Discussion

KeystonerNovember 11th, 2011, 2:16 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Caught this beauty on a Quasimodo Flashback 14. Only the fish of the morning, and well worth the aching hands. I packed it in shortly after this fish was released. While I believe that trout season never ends, I must admit that the sessions certainly do get shorter. I would estimate the temp this morning to be around 38F, which is fine, once that wind gets whipping though, I've had enough. Rainbows like this one make it a lot easier to quit early as well.

*I can't seem to get a picture to load in in this area. However, the above mentioned fish can be seen on the Photo Board, topic -McKenzie Redside.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jmd123November 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Oscoda, MI

Yes, it's getting cold here now as well, and I'm pushing the trout fishing as late as I can myself. We're supposed to hit 54 F tomorrow, so I'll try the kayak one more time on my perch-n-rainbow lake in the Huron National Forest. With some luck it won't be too windy...

Is it raining pretty steady there now? Say HI to Oegon for me!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
KeystonerNovember 12th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Jonathon - It actually has not been raining that much. The weather out here, in general, has not been like I was expecting. At Least not yet. We get a few days of rain sometimes and it is overcast often, but nothing like the soaking I was told to expect. Of course, the locals keep telling me it's coming. The "oregon mist" you previously mentioned is a regular fixture in the early mornings.

The McKenzie sends it's regards.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jmd123November 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Oscoda, MI

The nice thing you will find about Oregon is that most of the vegetation stays green year-round out there, what with all of the conifer trees and even a lot of the broadleaved plants keeping their leaves too. Things have turned brown now here in Michigan, except that we have a pretty good amount of conifers in this part of the state, better than southern Michigan.

But wait until spring comes to your new home - you won't believe how incredibly GREEN it will get! As I heard someone once describe it, "60 shades of green"...and expect LOTS of wildflowers too, that was a most pleasant surprise when I lived there. You'll see, amongst many others, western trillium which will look just like the ones from back home!

Please post photos on here when you go fishing out there, especially of smaller streams, it will bring back many wonderful memories.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
KeystonerNovember 16th, 2011, 1:09 am

Yes! I have noticed this, and coming from PA it is, most unusual. I guess the rain stopped here in early July, and the rest of the summer highly resembled SoCal. Didn't see a drop until late September. During this time, things got a little brown, however, now that its raining somewhat steady, watch out!! There is moss everywhere, even in parking lots, and the ferns, forget about it! It's greener here in October than it was when I got here. The little trail that I walk/slide down to access the McKenzie is almost grown over, in November! It's unbelievable! Not to mention they've got slugs double the size of my pointer finger!!

I will certainly do my best to furnish you with pics. However, I'm a little leary to get any electronic anything near the water. I've ruined three cell phones in trout water to date, and with the wading being pretty tricky at times here (these rocks are slick!) I'm nervous to don the 35mm for fear of giving it a bath. But, as I said, I'll do my best.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.