Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > articulated stonefly nymph

Mcjames has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
McjamesApril 1st, 2009, 5:03 pm
Cortland Manor, NY

I wanted to embed this image in another thread but I dont know how, so I am posting here and linking instead
I am haunted by waters
GONZOApril 1st, 2009, 5:10 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Very nice, James! The wingcase markings are a ringer for Drew's Agnetina nymphs!
Shawnny3April 1st, 2009, 6:04 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Beautiful flies, McJames. I love the abdomen especially, but it looks like the thread ribbing is sliding around on the second nymph. Perhaps a different material for the over-body is needed, something less slippery. Or, you could just cover the thing in Flexament.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
DOSApril 1st, 2009, 6:15 pm
Buffalo, NY

oh crap! wow Don't sneak that in my aquarium or I might mistake it for a rare stonefly species and ask Lloyd or Roger to help me ID it! :) :)

That is one heck of a fly, WELL DONE!!!!
Andrew Nisbet
GreenghostApril 1st, 2009, 6:45 pm
New Brunswick

DOS,Yes,I thought of the depth variable.What if???Two equally skilled anglers fished tandem nymphs through the same stetch,same time time/conditions,with the only variable being one fished a rigid point fly and wiggle dropper and the other does the opposite?As close to double blind experiment as it gets.
DOSApril 1st, 2009, 6:49 pm
Buffalo, NY

I say we give it a try Greenghost. Shall we fish your water or mine? Either way we'd be fishing!!!!
Andrew Nisbet
WbranchApril 1st, 2009, 8:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

McJames,

Absolutely stunningly beautiful nymphs! You are a consummate realistic tyer. But am wondering if they would be any more effective if you were fishing a riffle with another guy, with equal skills, who is using non-articulated stonefly nymphs.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutApril 1st, 2009, 9:24 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very nice, Mcjames!

Have you put those up on Hacklehead.com yet?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
PatcrisciApril 2nd, 2009, 5:43 am
Lagrangeville, NY

Mcjames -- gorgeous stones dude! If I were a trout I would gobble them up.
Pat Crisci
McjamesApril 2nd, 2009, 7:47 am
Cortland Manor, NY

Trust me I am a very average tier (about 2 dozen failed prototypes in my trash to prove it), I just spent alot of time on this. I got quite obsessed for some reason. Shawn you make a good point-- I used vinyl from an old 3 ring binder for the over-body and it is slick. I should coat it.

I imagine the benefit, if any, of wiggle vs. rigid is marginal. But given my very average fishing skills and knowledge base, I need all the help I can get!

I am haunted by waters
WbranchApril 2nd, 2009, 12:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

Mcjames,

"I used vinyl from an old 3 ring binder for the over-body and it is slick. I should coat it."

Send me your home address and I'll send you some black and yellow Swanundaze ribbing. I don't believe it is available any longer. It is flat on the side you wind onto the hook and radiused on the exterior. I used to come in opaque and translucent colors and wide and medium widths.
GONZOApril 2nd, 2009, 12:56 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Matt,

A while back, Louis located a source (Canadian, as I recall) for Swannundaze. I grabbed all he would part with (probably a lifetime supply) for the overback on my scud pattern. If anyone is interested, he might still have the contact info.
WbranchApril 2nd, 2009, 2:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

I have forty packages of various colors and widths. The packages I have are marked;

F.A. Johnson Inc.
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

I bought these about twenty years ago. If you don't tie that type of body often each package can last pretty much your life of tying.
GONZOApril 2nd, 2009, 2:28 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I still have some of those old packages as well, but most of the Swannundaze that Louis located has a "Super Fly" label. It still says that it is a "product of USA," so I have no idea who manufactures it now (or even if they still do).
Shawnny3April 2nd, 2009, 4:12 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I know you have a bit of a religious attachment to your Swannundaze scud pattern, Gonzo. Have you found that it fishes significantly differently from one tied with a normal soft-plastic back, all other parts being equal? What I'm really asking is if it's worth my trying to get a hold of this stuff.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZOApril 2nd, 2009, 5:08 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I know you have a bit of religious attachment to your Swannudaze scud pattern...

I not sure what you've heard, Shawn, but the attachment isn't religious, it's just fine gold wire.

What I'm really asking is if it's worth my trying to get a hold of this stuff.

After reading the description of your Scud Dun in the "April Fool's" thread, I frankly don't know how to answer that. What are you planning to do with it? No, wait, don't answer that. I don't think I want to know.

(Shawn, for a serious answer, check your PMs.)
McjamesApril 3rd, 2009, 4:41 am
Cortland Manor, NY

WBranch that's very generous of you! I'll make you a deal: in exchange for the Swanundaze, I'll send you some wiggle patterns, and you can conduct the wiggle vs. non wiggle tests that everyone is clamoring for.
I am haunted by waters
PatcrisciApril 3rd, 2009, 5:56 am
Lagrangeville, NY

WB, I also have a few packages of Swannundaze with the Frank Johnson marking. My favorites are the translucent colors that I use over threads, flosses or fur dubbings for bodies of stonefly nymphs and caddis pupae. I find that if you gently heat a strand of Swannundaze it becomes more pliable and easier to work with (it can be a bit stiff) and you can stretch it thinner to make small flies.
Pat Crisci
PatcrisciApril 3rd, 2009, 6:00 am
Lagrangeville, NY

In the photo mcjames sent the abdomen of the larger of the two stoneflies looks very much like it could be made of Swannundaze.
Pat Crisci
McjamesApril 3rd, 2009, 8:48 am
Cortland Manor, NY

the abdomen is actually made of some kind of plastic cord from my kids' beading kit. It really is a garbage fly
I am haunted by waters
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.