Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > One last Brookie

Wbranch has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
Big Spring Brookie
Big Spring Brookie
WbranchJuly 25th, 2008, 1:34 pm
York & Starlight PA

Here is a picture of a truly wild, gorgeously colored, brookie caught at the flume at the top of the "Ditch" on Big Spring back in the early 1990's. I watched another guy, catch, and kill this fish. It was about 14" long.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
HmilesjrJuly 27th, 2008, 12:23 pm
SC

That's a great fish. Do you live in the area or were you there visiting. Do you have any recent photos?
Waterfront Homes For Sale in the US and Canada
www.waterfronthousesusa.com
WbranchJuly 27th, 2008, 12:47 pm
York & Starlight PA

I live in York, PA. Big Spring is in Newville, PA about an hour and a half drive NW from my home. At one time there was a large PA fish hatchery situated at the uppermost end of Spring Crrek. Others here can correct me if I wrong but the hatchery was actually slightly above the springs that form Big Spring. The hatchery dug wells for the trout races and the water flowed out of the hatchery and into the stream. This outflow far exceeded the normal cfs rate of Big Spring and for many years the water literally gushed out of some sluice gates immediately below the hatchery.

I liked the flow then and while the "heyday" of wild brook trout thoroughout the creek was long gone there were still a surpising amount of wild brookies in the 10" - 15" range in the swift water and throughout the entire length of what is called "The Ditch".

Effluent from the trout hatchery degraded the natural ecosytem of the creek and the immediate land adjacent so after much verbal wrangling the state of PA closed the hatchery. I don't know the date of the closure but it was about four years ago.

I never liked the fishing in "The Ditch" when the hatchery was present and now after the closure the natural outflow of the underground springs are so minimal that there is very much less water flowing in the creek. I would never recommend Big Spring as a "destination trip" for anyone who lives more than half a day's drive away. In my opinion the fishing is boring, there is only about 150 yards of water that has any depth to it, and most of the fishing is done with midge nymphs and those stupid indicators.

Some proponents will likely say that there has been an improvement in the fish holding capability below the iron bridge but I've yet to see any fish in the crystal clear water rising or even just finning in the current.

No, I have no recent photos of this area.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.