Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A few more pics from the big project

Jmd123 has attached these 17 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (6X larger)
Oh yeah, gotta have some hellgies!  Corydalus sp.
Oh yeah, gotta have some hellgies! Corydalus sp.
Can't get away from midges!  A mixed bag of Chironomidae, some to be identified to genus?
Can't get away from midges! A mixed bag of Chironomidae, some to be identified to genus?
Riffle beetles too!  Macronychus adult
Riffle beetles too! Macronychus adult
Larvae too, Neoelmis sp., a nice shot showing the closed front coxal cavities
Larvae too, Neoelmis sp., a nice shot showing the closed front coxal cavities
Not many stoneflies turned up in our samples but here's a nice big Acroneuria for ya!
Not many stoneflies turned up in our samples but here's a nice big Acroneuria for ya!
Shown Full Size
Too big to see the whole thing at once!  Dragonhunter nymph, Hagenius brevistylus, listed rare in Indiana!
Too big to see the whole thing at once! Dragonhunter nymph, Hagenius brevistylus, listed rare in Indiana!
Shown Full Size
The only crayfish species we collected were of the phallic crayfish, Orconectes putnami.  Here you can see the male parts that gave it the name!
The only crayfish species we collected were of the phallic crayfish, Orconectes putnami. Here you can see the male parts that gave it the name!
Not easy to see but these are snail-cased caddisflies, at least their cases (we did find animals in some of them) - Helicopsyche, this might be the first time I've seen these!
Not easy to see but these are snail-cased caddisflies, at least their cases (we did find animals in some of them) - Helicopsyche, this might be the first time I've seen these!
Hard to see but this one has a critter in it!
Hard to see but this one has a critter in it!
Shown Full Size
How they all ended up!
How they all ended up!
Shown Full Size
How they ended up that way...yours truly refamiliarizing himself with aquatic entomology! (Ah, like riding a bicycle!)
How they ended up that way...yours truly refamiliarizing himself with aquatic entomology! (Ah, like riding a bicycle!)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
Unsorted, yet
Unsorted, yet
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.1X larger)
WHAT ARE THESE TINY THINGS???
WHAT ARE THESE TINY THINGS???
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.2X larger)
Good thing this books has lots of drawings!!! (Merritt, Cummins, & Berg, 4th edition)
Good thing this books has lots of drawings!!! (Merritt, Cummins, & Berg, 4th edition)
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
Another habitat shot...the lowest section of this stream was classic riffle/pool complexes & had the highest invertebrate diversity
Another habitat shot...the lowest section of this stream was classic riffle/pool complexes & had the highest invertebrate diversity
Side channel - high habitat diversity in a small stream & it showed in the biota
Side channel - high habitat diversity in a small stream & it showed in the biota
Finally...been a looooong day in the field, holding my damp socks, and yes, I need some dental work
Finally...been a looooong day in the field, holding my damp socks, and yes, I need some dental work
Jmd123March 2nd, 2021, 10:38 am
Oscoda, MI

Got a few more to show. Remember, this is all to be repeated this May! I got my work cut out for me this field season... ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfMarch 2nd, 2021, 5:08 pm
Palmyra PA

Cool. Looks like you've been busy!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PartsmanMarch 3rd, 2021, 3:31 pm
bancroft michigan

Cool pics, good to hear from you.
Mike.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.