Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Database of patterns and required materials?

StickstringJuly 18th, 2020, 7:17 pm
Kalispell MT

Does anyone know of any database or reference for flies that has the pattern and a list of materials? I’m considering getting into tying my own this winter and am starting to look at how to get into it as cost effectively as possible with as few odd one offs as possible unless they’re worth it. For instance, if I can use a certain weight and color of thread for 4 of my top 10 flies, and a specific dubbing for half of the 10, they would be the best things to grab first, etc. I see lots of good information but much of it seems scattered around and not consolidated. Any tips or direction would be great!

Thanks!
WbranchJuly 22nd, 2020, 4:09 am
York & Starlight PA

I'd bet if you spent ten minutes Googling that inquiry you would be able to find a couple lists.

There are dozens and dozens of fly fishing books devoted to tying flies specific to various parts of the country as well as lots of generic patterns.

"Selective Trout" by Swisher & Richards, "Hatches" by Caucci and Natashi, "Matching the Hatch" by Scwiebert, "Modern Trout Flies by Jorgensen. I have dozens of fly tying books that provide the recipes for hundreds of flies.

I found this in one millisecond on Google;

https://flysandguides.com/fly-pattern-database-2/

https://flysandguides.com/steps-nymph-patterns/

You will see a menu on this web site and if you click on Fly Tying you will see options for learning to tie nymphs, dries, streamers, etc. Each will give data on materials needed. I sincerely doubt you will find any data base that provides info on which flies use Uni thread in 8/0 Rust for specific flies or which flies use urine stained fox fur for the dubbing. That is something you will have to learn from experience and commit it to memeory, or take the time to write it down and create your own data base.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123July 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am
Oscoda, MI

Here's a great book for the beginning tier, with a multitude of patterns and recipes and instructions. Woolly Buggers work anywhere!

https://www.amazon.com/Gary-Soucie/dp/1571883525/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Woolly+wisdom&qid=1595423520&s=books&sr=1-1

I have a copy...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PartsmanJuly 22nd, 2020, 6:23 am
bancroft michigan

There is so much info on the internet its mindboggling. But the flytyingforum is a good source of info, and they have a step by step thread with many patterns. For local flies here in Michigan there are flyshops that have great videos on local patterns, since your in Montana that may be a option. I love to tie so I spend way more money on materials and tools than I need to, but im retired now so this is what I do!
Mike
StickstringJuly 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm
Kalispell MT

Thanks guys. Those are all great resources but not quite what I had in mind. I was almost looking for a true database layout where I could easily query some common patterns and find any common materials between these. I’m no SQL wizard but I think it would be like a join search.

There are similar functions for food recipes where you can say here are the ingredients I have, what can I make? Or I want to buy a bag of lettuce and a bunch of bananas, What can I make to use it all up.

Thanks again for these resources, they look great and I’ll keep digging into them.
WbranchJuly 27th, 2020, 5:16 am
York & Starlight PA

Stickstring,

I was almost looking for a true database layout where I could easily query some common patterns and find any common materials between these.

I honestly don't believe what you want really exists. I think you should develop one from all the fly recipes out there in the hundreds, if not thousands, of fly tying books and then publish it. You will become a well known fly fishing author, be invited to fish private water, and go to all the fly fishing shows to give seminars on your book.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
StickstringJuly 27th, 2020, 4:06 pm
Kalispell MT

Thanks for the support WB! It’s slow going but I’ve got about a dozen so far. I’ll let you know when I get a substantial list done if you want to give it a browse. Probably will make it an app instead. A book doesn’t cross reference easily. Thanks!
AfishinadoJuly 28th, 2020, 6:16 am
SE PA

Does anyone know of any database or reference for flies that has the pattern and a list of materials? I’m considering getting into tying my own this winter and am starting to look at how to get into it as cost effectively as possible with as few odd one offs as possible unless they’re worth it. For instance, if I can use a certain weight and color of thread for 4 of my top 10 flies, and a specific dubbing for half of the 10, they would be the best things to grab first, etc. I see lots of good information but much of it seems scattered around and not consolidated. Any tips or direction would be great!

Thanks!

I would approach buying tying materials by finding the materials list for those top 10 flies you mentioned above and buy the materials and supplies to tie them. Google is a good place to search for this info plus you are likely to find videos to guide you. Your top 10 list of flies will include no superfluous materials there since they are the flies you plan to tie first.

When starting out tying flies you will find the biggest outlay of cash will likely be the purchase of hooks rather than the cost of materials. You'll need different styles of hooks for dries, nymphs and streamers along with different sizes to tie your target fly patterns.

In addition, you should focus on tying the simpler patterns first (like a wooly bugger) and "graduating" to more complex ones as your technique and skill level improves. Also you may want to wait a while before tying hackled dry flies since they are a little more difficult to tie properly and more importantly quality necks or capes used for tying them are very expensive. I recommend you buy decent hackle when you are ready to tie dries. Buying quality hackle is fairly large investment, but the quality of your flies will suffer using inferior materials.

Go slow at first and enjoy the process......good luck.

StickstringJuly 28th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Kalispell MT

Thanks!
CohaNovember 5th, 2020, 12:16 pm
Cazin, Bosnia

My favorite fly tying site is thefeatherbender by Barry Ord Clarke.
Large fly tying database video tutorial.

Dry fly patterns
Emerger patterns
Nymph patterns
Fly fishing streamers
Wet flies patterns
Deer Hair techniques

Fly tying
TheFlyIndexJuly 4th, 2023, 1:25 pm
Posts: 1Hey Stickstring, I just launched The Fly Index, which is community-built database of fly patterns that you can search for based on the materials you have. For example: you can enter "peacock herl" and get results of flies that use peacock herl. The site is still very new as of July 2023, but please check it out! http://theflyindex.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.