Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Nymphing in Martins Creek

DonTApril 13th, 2020, 7:43 am
I wasn't having any luck in catching trout in the Matin's Creek. I hadn't even gotten a hit. Everyone said "well use a Wooly Bugger".........Junk. Never even a hit it a whole year.....One LMB.
Last week a gentleman walked up and asked how I was making out and I said "terrible". "Never caught a trout ever after a year of trying." He said he could help me out and handed over some of the plainest looking and miniature Nymphs and on my first cast I had hits. Hits developed into many more and then a score.
I'm new to fly fishing and am wondering, will these Nymphs be good all year or do I have to switch to the adult version of them as they develop during spring and summer. The flies were as follows: 16 Prince, 16 or smaller Flashback Pheasant Tail and 14 Zug Bug.
Baron
TaxonApril 13th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi DonT-

Interesting first post. Did you mean Martins Creek in PA?

However, in answer to your question, I suspect those small nymphs would work well for you all year.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
DonTApril 13th, 2020, 5:42 pm
Hello Roger,
yes I am in Easton PA (think Crayola) and I fish mostly the Martins Creek about 5 miles up the Delaware R. from Easton. Is nymphing a rather consistantly successful procedure except maybe during a wild Trico Hatch? Do I alter the colors or size as the summer progresses or are nymphs the same al year?

BTW, I don't know how it happened but I have two memberships and I am not exactly new. I am also Baron on this site. If you, as site Editor, would know how to cancel Baron It would be nice.

Best!
Baron
MartinlfApril 13th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Palmyra PA

Those nymphs will work any day of any month. Keep experimenting with similar ones, though. Sometimes smaller is better, sometimes larger. But little pheasant tails will work almost anytime.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TaxonApril 13th, 2020, 8:56 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Is nymphing a rather consistantly successful procedure except maybe during a wild Trico Hatch?

When no emergence activity is occurring, nymphing is likely to be a more successful strategy than is use of a dry fly.

Do I alter the colors or size as the summer progresses or are nymphs the same al year?

The nymphs (of a particular species) do get progressively larger as they mature. However, only the wingpads of mayfly nymphs change color by getting much darker during their final instar.

BTW, I don't know how it happened but I have two memberships and I am not exactly new. I am also Baron on this site. If you, as site Editor, would know how to cancel Baron It would be nice.

You would likely need to request that Jason to do that for you.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
DonTApril 14th, 2020, 4:43 am
Well, This has really been helpful, thanks
Baron

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.