Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Free hooks

WbranchAugust 26th, 2007, 2:30 pm
York & Starlight PA

Post Deleted.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfAugust 26th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Palmyra PA

Matt, can you reserve some of the 9761's for me? I'll get you postage soon, or perhaps we'll get a chance to do some fall bass fishing when school slows down a bit in a few weeks and I could get them then. I'll also take some wet fly hooks, if you want to be rid of them, and whatever else you want to get rid of if no one else wants them, but I don't want to be greedy. If anyone else is interested please pipe up.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3August 26th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I feel the same way as Louis. Of course I'd take some free hooks, but please don't feel obligated to give me any if someone more needy comes along. I feel like we should let those new to tying have the first shot - outfitting yourself with hooks is a pretty expensive endeavor when you're just starting out.

Your generosity is remarkable, Wbranch.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
WbranchAugust 26th, 2007, 8:14 pm
York & Starlight PA

I have more fly tying material than I can ever use. I primarily fish only two types of flies; dry flies that I tie on Tiemco or other Japanese hooks and large streamers that I prefer to tie on stainless steel hooks that I can use in fresh and salt water. That leaves me with lots of material and hooks that I no longer need. Sometimes I'll knock off a couple of dozen nymphs and give them to long time fishing friends for b-days and Christmas.

Like I said in the initial post - I'll give the hooks to the first five replies that I get, I'll try and split them up equally, so everyone gets a decent sampling of the all the hooks rather than say thirty #6 Sproat wet fly hooks.

I chatted with a fellow Troutnut.com member named Jaeger who lives in Greece and wants to try his hand at fly fishing but can't buy flies in Greece. I went through one of my nymph boxes today and picked out some that may have already been in the water and am sending him fifty nymphs to get him started.
DryflyAugust 26th, 2007, 9:00 pm
rochester mn

hey wbranch I'd be interested in some hooks Send me a pm to talk specifics i.e postage if ya want.
MartinlfAugust 26th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Palmyra PA

Matt, I am very glad to hear you're sending Jaeger some flies. We've enjoyed his posts and he's put up some great photos of fish he caught. I hope he saw the article someone posted on fishing in Greece; it was fantastic.

I'm happy if you dole out the hooks in any way you see fit, and if more than five guys request hooks you can take me off the list. I'd rather someone new to tying should get them as I am pretty well stocked overall.

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherAugust 27th, 2007, 5:02 pm
Wisconsin

Anyone need some treble hooks?

Okay, just kidding. I like Wbranch's idea. I might have some hooks for free too. I have a lot of Mustad hooks I don't use anymore. Better to give them to someone who will use them than sit around collecting dust.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
AftonAnglerAugust 28th, 2007, 7:27 am
Brule, WI

Hey I'll chime in for our young friend West...

He is a great kid and needs fly tying materials.

I have been keeping him busy this summer working here at the Winneboujou Club but more importantly we have been working on some of his fly fishing lifeskills too. He is already an accomplished fly tyer and now he has built a fly rod as well.

Weston and I were introduced here on TroutNut forums and have become good friends this summer. I had his father and him down for an interview in March and found them to be some of the most down-to-earth folks I have ever met. Refreshing!

Well I hired him and he has worked out well this season. We work hard and play hard...lots of fly fishing lessons after chores!

Maybe we can get him to write an essay about his Summer on the Brule to share with us...he has connected with some very memorable fish and we even took a summer ending roadtrip down to the Rush River to introduce him to the Driftless and springcreeking...

He will be starting his senior year in High School soon and I hope he is able to keep up his progression as a fly fishing fanatic. Any materials you folks can muster will be well used I assure.

I'll pay for postage and such.

Thanks!

See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com
GrannomAugust 28th, 2007, 9:13 am
Northwest PA

I haven't counted, but if I'm in the first five I would be glad to use some of the hooks. Let me know how you want to workout postage. Thank you for the offer. Send me a PM if you want.

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
WestAugust 28th, 2007, 9:54 am
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Hey, thanks for the nice words Brad. I appreciate it. It is true that I've been pretty much constantly scrounging for materials in the fly tying material dept. the last few years. Brad's been great about letting me use his materials for the patterns I tie for him, and I make a few orders here and there to keep up with my own fly supply, but my high school budget is a little limited for the kind of tying I'll be doing (although work at the Club has helped in that respect).

My fly fishing career has expanded this year more than ever before, due in a large part to my periods of stay at the Winneboujou Club on the Brule. Getting up early and staying out late on the river, seeing the Brule form its many different angles, and most importantly having the advice and words of encouragement of an extremely knowledgable fly fisherman like Brad, has made me a much more versatile and knowledgable angler myself. It's really been a dream come true.

Any fly tying materials or hooks that you guys would be willing to part with would be gracioiusly accepted. That's a really great thing to be doing, and I appreciate your generosity.

I'll send a couple of private messages out. Whatever types or amounts of stuff you have is just fine with me.

Oh yeah, and I'll get started on "Summer on the Brule" right away.
West

http://pleasantly-obsessed.blogspot.com/
WbranchAugust 28th, 2007, 7:51 pm
York & Starlight PA

Okay, I've got five responders to the free hook deal. I'll divvied up the hooks and will mail them as soon as I can get to the Post Office.
I'm going fishing tomorrow and Thursday to the Susquehanna. I went to Bob Clouser's shop today and he has a great new book out titled "Flyfishing for Smallmouth in Rivers and Streams" it is a big format hardcover with 220 pages and gorgeous color pictures on just about every page. So far it is very interesting.
Shawnny3September 4th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Hey, guys. After speaking with Matt about the relatively small number of hooks he has and the fact that shipping them to five of us would cost almost as much as the hooks themselves are worth, I'd like to make a suggestion. It seems that most of us are in the category of wanting hooks but not really needing them. The exception is West, who I'm sure would benefit more than the rest of us from Matt's generous offer.

My suggestion is just to have Matt send West all the hooks. This would mean only shipping to one person instead of five and would put the hooks in the hands of someone trying to outfit himself to tie for the first time.

Does this sound like a good solution to everyone else?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
IEatimagoSeptember 4th, 2007, 8:13 pm
Spring Mills, PA

great idea shawnny!
MartinlfSeptember 4th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Palmyra PA

I agree with Shawn and forthwith abdicate any previous hook claims.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchSeptember 7th, 2007, 4:24 am
York & Starlight PA

Thanks to all you guys for understanding the situation. I'll send West all 675 hooks and also send him some excess fly tying material that I seldom use any more.
GrannomSeptember 8th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Northwest PA

Thats fine with me. Goog idea! I don't need them

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
WestSeptember 10th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Hey, thanks so much guys! I can't believe the generosity that all of you have showed, really can't believe it. I feel a little guilty taking the whole bunch, but I will do my very best to make sure they will be used in their entirety, and none go to waste.

This forum and the people that contribute to it have been a tremendous resource for me, as well as coutless other fly-fishermen I'm sure. Even though I'm a fairly young fly fisherman, I can see clearly that it's anglers like the one's on this thread that make fly fishing the sport that it is (the best in the world, right?).

I can not tell you how grateful I am. To Wbranch, AftonAngler, Shawnny3, Martinlf, Grannom, Dryfly, and any others on this thread, thanks again and tight lines to all of you!
West

http://pleasantly-obsessed.blogspot.com/
TroutnutSeptember 11th, 2007, 12:14 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I just noticed this thread (grad school keeps me busy!). It's great to see people using my site for this kinds of things. Knowing West and having seen his flies, I know the hooks have found a worthy home!

West, it's great to hear you've been working with Brad, too. He's got some gig there at Winneboujou!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
HighFlyerAugust 11th, 2008, 2:36 pm
Minnesota

As you may have noticed from some of my other posts today, I'm brand new to this sport and this site. In searching back through old threads, I came across this one. It's good to see I've found a site with good people too.
"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job."
~by Paul Schullery~

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.