Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Early Season NE Stonefly patterns

Vtbrowns57March 28th, 2019, 9:51 am
Does anyone have any suggestions for early season stonefly patterns for the Northeast that aren't to difficult to tie? I'm working with black goose biots, black/brown angora goat dubbing, and turkey feathers..

Thanks!!

-Alex

MartinlfMarch 30th, 2019, 3:43 am
Palmyra PA

A very good Delaware River guide gave me a dry fly pattern years ago that he swears by. It's very simple: black or brown body of any dry fly dubbing, a downwing, caddis style, of clear/white zelon or antron, and hackle at the thorax to match the body color. Tie off the hackle and you're done. For nymphs any basic simple pattern will work. I just made mine up, with no fancy wingcase. I did use small rubber legs on some of them. For some ideas, use Google.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Vtbrowns57April 1st, 2019, 12:27 pm
Hi Martinlf,

Thanks for sharing that pattern, i'll have to experiment and spend some time at the vise. I also like the small rubber legs for the nymphs as well.

Alex

Jmd123April 2nd, 2019, 9:50 am
Oscoda, MI

Try an #12-14 Elk Hair Caddis tied in Early Brown Stone colors - a golden-brown body and a grayish brown wing & hackle. I had browns hitting this pattern in mid-April in the Rifle River here in MI some years ago (not this one!). Couldn't hook them though! Fortunately a nice 14-incher slammed a POG Bugger on my way down to the car - so hard in fact I thought it was a steelhead - and saved me from being skunked for the day...Good luck!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CrepuscularApril 3rd, 2019, 6:40 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Does anyone have any suggestions for early season stonefly patterns for the Northeast that aren't to difficult to tie? I'm working with black goose biots, black/brown angora goat dubbing, and turkey feathers..

Thanks!!

-Alex

Hi Alex. Welcome to Troutnut. Louis is right on with that simple Early Stonefly. Here is another:

Hook: any 1xl dry fly hook (I tie all my early season stoneflies on Hends 323BL #16 and #18) but use whatever size your bugs are.
Thread: Black or Reddish Brown 12/0 veevus
Tail: very short clump of dark dun or black cdc (about 1/2 the hook gap in length)
Abdomen: Dark Dun hackle palmered over black or mahogany dubbing.
Underwing: 6 strands of pearl crystal flash
Overwing: Light Dun Snowshoe hare tied to extend to just past the abdomen
Thorax:Dark dun hackle over black or mahogany dubbing

This is just a derivation of a stimulator, tied with materials that I find float better and is a little easier to tie. You can substitute CDC for the wing instead of the snowshoe.

Eric

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.