Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Euro Nymph Rod, Page 2

PartsmanApril 19th, 2019, 11:24 am
bancroft michigan

I totally get it Matt, I hope you do well that setup, let us know how it works out. I decided Iam going to go ahead and get the orvis recon nymphing rod. I will let you know what my impressions are once I get out on the river with it.

Mike.
Troutbum32January 10th, 2020, 12:08 pm
New Zealand

The Sage ESN is a great choice! We've been testing one for the last few months and have had no regrets!
20 Years Fly Fishing in New Zealand and abroad.
PartsmanJanuary 10th, 2020, 4:17 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt, I kind of fell in love with recon this past spring and summer, I really could not get the damn thing out of my hands when I was the water. Even some small to medium size streamers it worked well for me. But know I see gloomis has gone into this market with the nrx+ 4100. I know its more than what you wanted to spend, but this rod really looks it could be quiver killer. Im hoping to cast one soon. In the mean time it looks like we are going to get the mother of all ice storms here in mid-Michigan, I hope all my trout nut friends here in Michigan are prepared and please be safe. Water levels have been to high for me to fish, so Im tying! Anyone have some cool early season fly patterns, Im tying some little black stone flies know, maybe start on bwos if we have lights! Any way take care and be safe and think spring!

Mike
BarbaubeJanuary 14th, 2020, 9:51 am
France

Hey! Please excuse me if I’m jumping in this thread a bit late but the New Recon is coming up in March. They will have a 10ft 2wt in the line up. My guess is that it will be a Euro nymphing rod, which Orvis never offered. I have heard that 2 wt euro nymph can cast dries with mono instead of a fly line. Does anyone has experience with such rod? When I euro nymph I only use mono on my 10ft 4wt and it’s magic. I can feel everything even with a 4wt. But I can’t cast dries with it.

Thanks

N.
MartinlfJanuary 20th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Palmyra PA

Hi, I used a long mono leader some last season, a Hends Camou French leader. I liked it and had some luck. It will cast a dry fly, but it's tricky. I caught one fish on a dry using it, but typically I'll switch to a traditional set up for dry flies. A guy I know has a formula for long mono leaders that I'm going to try next season.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BarbaubeJanuary 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am
France

Thanks Martinlf!

I can't see myself going back to using a fly line while euro nymphing. The sensitivity much better. Do you mind sharing that long mono leader formula? Also what rod (weight) were you using for fishing dries with mono?
WbranchJanuary 22nd, 2020, 9:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

Also what rod (weight) were you using for fishing dries with mono?

I'd be very curious to understand how you can fish/cast dry flies mono.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanJanuary 23rd, 2020, 4:26 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt, check troutbittens website, I have used his mono leader and found effective to certain degree, its basically a 24 ft. taperd leader. I fished streamers and nymphs pretty effectively last fall. I cant say I really care to cast dries with it, but it only takes a few minutes to remove it and put a normal leader on.
Mike
MartinlfJanuary 26th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Palmyra PA

Barbaube, Partsman has it. The formula I plan to try is from Dom on Troutbitten. I was using a Hends leader last season. I was either fishing a 9' 3W Cabela's LsI rod or an Echo Shadow 10' 3W. I believe it was the latter. Matt, the Euro rods are made to cast mono leaders without any fly line. It's not pretty with a dry, but it can be done, and a really good caster (better than me) can do it relatively well. I remember Loren Williams had gone all mono for all his fishing, nymph and dry, a while back. Few, if any, could ever do long casts with a dry, though; it's a close in thing--at least for me.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchJanuary 28th, 2020, 9:08 am
York & Starlight PA

Louis,

It's not pretty with a dry, but it can be done, and a really good caster (better than me) can do it relatively well.

So you think I could throw it 75' then? hehe
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WiflyfisherJanuary 31st, 2020, 4:59 am
Wisconsin

Last Spring I tried out my Hardy Zephrus AWS 10ft 4wt with a 22 ft leader and a bead head green caddis larva pattern. Casting upstream it was very effective, but I was not making long cast.

In the early Spring in my area the free roaming and net spinning green caddis larva are definitely on the trout's menu. I find the key is to get the larva pattern down along the rocky bottom of the stream with a natural drift. With no flyline hanging off the tip, just mono which made it easier for me to get a natural drift and feel the take. But I am still a newb to this techique and I have a lot to learn.

The hardest part was when I hooked a 17" brown. The long, light rod made it more difficult for me to land the fiesty trout.

This Spring I plan on testing a slinky indicator made with Rio 2-tone tippet material. Anxious to see how effective that is as well.

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
MartinlfFebruary 1st, 2020, 6:46 pm
Palmyra PA

John, let me know what you think of the slinky. I tried one for part of a season and was not a fan. Most of the guys I know have moved on from them too. See George Daniels new book. He seems to like "rabbit ears" better.

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherFebruary 2nd, 2020, 3:53 am
Wisconsin

John, let me know what you think of the slinky. I tried one for part of a season and was not a fan. Most of the guys I know have moved on from them too. See George Daniels new book. He seems to like "rabbit ears" better.

What are "rabbit ears"?

I am also making my own leaders for this over the Winter. Suggestions?

BTW, is the white house along the Delaware still there tht Caucci abd Nastasi used to rent and run their classes out of? I miss those days.

John S.
AfishinadoFebruary 2nd, 2020, 4:42 am
SE PA

What are "rabbit ears"?

I am also making my own leaders for this over the Winter. Suggestions?

BTW, is the white house along the Delaware still there tht Caucci abd Nastasi used to rent and run their classes out of? I miss those days.

I believe the term "rabbit ears" or "bunny ears" refers to leaving the tag ends long when joining sighters for visibility.

Link to an article referring to George Daniel

https://blogflyfish.com/2018/10/my-new-euronymphing-sighter.html
MartinlfFebruary 2nd, 2020, 5:49 am
Palmyra PA

John, Al Caucci has sold the white house, but it's still there. He actually sold the entire Delaware River Club. The new owner is a cool guy, and Jeff White still runs the operation. I like Jeff a lot, and always feel at home staying there. One of my two favorite guides on the river Bruce Miller works out of the DRC. We've had some good days on the water, including two epic days of caddis, olives, and sulphurs a few years back. I'll see if I can find and post a couple of photos from that day. In one, if I remember correctly, I'm wearing a goofy smile that shows just how much fun we had.

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherFebruary 2nd, 2020, 5:56 am
Wisconsin

John, Al Caucci has sold the white house, but it's still there. He actually sold the entire Delaware River Club. The new owner is a cool guy, and Jeff White still runs the operation. I like Jeff a lot, and always feel at home staying there. One of my two favorite guides on the river Bruce Miller works out of the DRC. We've had some good days on the water, including two epic days of caddis, olives, and sulphurs a few years back. I'll see if I can find and post a couple of photos from that day. In one, if I remember correctly, I'm wearing a goofy smile that shows just how much fun we had.

Please post, i would love to see it.

Fond memories of staying at the white house and fishing the Delaware, especially fishing the Junction Pool in the evenings in May. That was many moons ago. Some day I want to go back there. I tend to head west each summer.

John S.
MartinlfFebruary 2nd, 2020, 6:02 am
Palmyra PA

John, I'll be in Montana this summer, fishing the Missouri June 24-June 28, then probably the Blackfoot, Rock Creek, and the Big Hole or Beaverhead. If you're in that neck of the woods then, let's meet up to wet a line or have a beer, if possible. Or we could meet on the Delaware. I'm sure to go up at least once this spring. Posted up a few pics for you in a new thread.

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherFebruary 2nd, 2020, 7:46 am
Wisconsin

I would love to meet up out West.

I don't know my dates yet. Waiting to see the snow pack levels. Usually I have been out there in September. I am hoping for 4-6 weeks out West this Summer / Fall. Last year i had the same idea but between Jury duty and family cvommitments that didn't happen. :-(

Crossing my fingers.
John S.
WiflyfisherFebruary 2nd, 2020, 7:56 am
Wisconsin

Getting back on topic, the euro nymph bug only appeals to me in the early Spring in the Upper Midwest freestone streams. Once the trout start looking up I turn to soft hackles, emergers, dries spinners, and even floating nymph, which is my passion.

John S.
WiflyfisherFebruary 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Wisconsin

Thanks to Louis I ended up buying Nymph Fishing by George Daniel. I am almost done reading the entire book thanks to fast shipping from Amazon.

He discusses a lot of the different techniques and gear options.

I have decided I will try this Spring the Maxima Chameleon mono type setup and see how it works for me. In his book he shows several different long leader formulae to try. So I have Maxima Chameleon #20, #15, #12 & #10 to make the butt sections. I also have Rio Two-tone indicator spool. The only thing I won't use is lead split shot.

John S.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.