Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tail types

WbranchAugust 20th, 2007, 4:55 am
York & Starlight PA

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SofthackleAugust 20th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

I've not done any studies, but I see a difference in the way a fly sits on the water. I can tell that splaying the tail helps it to sit upright, better. It stabilizes the fly, even in the classic Catskill design flies.(I will note, here that if you do splay the tails on a Catskill design fly, it may, buy some, no longer be considered "Catskill style". I will also note I consider the term "Catskill Style" inaccurate.) I also feel specific designs of flies must have, at least, splayed tails in order to perform as designed.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
WbranchAugust 20th, 2007, 2:11 pm
York & Starlight PA

SofthackleAugust 20th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Wbranch,
I agree with you and say that's a very good description. I have had some very involved discussions regarding "the Catskill Style". I know a few very educated fly fishers/tiers that disagree that this "style" even exists. With me, however, It is somewhat a matter of semantics. I prefer "Catskill Design" rather than "style". To me, style is something akin to a fad or particular embellishment or something very fleeting and unlasting-transient. A design is something more lasting and functional.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
WbranchAugust 20th, 2007, 7:40 pm
York & Starlight PA

SofthackleAugust 21st, 2007, 5:56 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Wbranch,
Their flies would definitely fit into the "Catskill Design" category, but you have to realize that their flies were based on flies designed by tiers that came before them like Rube Cross, who was the first commercial tier in the Catskills and who, along with Roy Steenrod and Herman Christian , set the standard for Catskill flies. These gentlemen were students of Theodore Gordon. many of Gordon's flies were based on flies created in England, which is why some tiers will argue that there really is no "Catskill Style or Design".

Mark

Troutbum13September 5th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Millerton,PA

Actually, Rube Cross was not the first commercial tyer in the Catskills. It was George W. Cooper. It was in the 1870s when he was tying flies for sale.
LeakywadersSeptember 7th, 2008, 1:42 pm
New England

The "NEARNUF" (HG Tapley) uses a pair of split feather quills for tail, that way the fly is stablized, rides upright, etc.
On the other hand, if the fly falls over it looks like a stillborn, or cripple, and may get more strikes. I think tha would be a "good mistake" Maybe it is becouse our flies are such poor imitations, that they are successful. i,e, the hook looks like a trailing shuck. The wing that goes cockeyed on the first cast, then catches fish, etc.
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.