Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spence - where art thou?

WbranchApril 6th, 2018, 2:15 pm
York & Starlight PA

I've not seen any posts or comments from Spence in maybe a year. Anyone know how he is doing? I hope he is healthy and just has taken a hiatus from posting.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutApril 6th, 2018, 11:06 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yeah, it's been a while since he posted publicly, but I heard from him a couple months ago and he didn't mention anything being wrong.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123April 7th, 2018, 4:57 am
Oscoda, MI

Well, with the coming of spring he should be awaking from hibernation here sometime soon...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TNEALApril 8th, 2018, 7:05 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Spence is busy cutting up deer hair....
CrepuscularApril 9th, 2018, 2:39 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Spence is busy cutting up deer hair....

And staring at birds.
OldredbarnApril 9th, 2018, 5:36 pm
Novi, MI

It’s good to be missed. ;)

I’ve been just a tad busy. Been the VP, the last couple years, of the Michigan Fly Fishing Club, and Wednesday, despite my protestations, they will make me president. A few weeks after that they will hang me by my ankles from the pedestrian crosswalk over the highway in front of where we meet.

I’m trying to type this on my iPhone and will sit down soon in front of the big computer and catch you up.

I didn’t know you were looking for me until John Simonson from WI sent me a note letting me know I was lost and found. 😉🤷‍♀️

Tim and Eric...if you knew how sweet these deer patches are, you’d be lining up out front of the homestead here. If I don’t ruin it somehow I may send you a piece.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnApril 9th, 2018, 5:40 pm
Novi, MI

Oh. Eric is right. I just got back from southern Illinois watching male Greater Prairie-Chicken strutt their stuff. Had to be there at 4:30 on a windy cold morning, but the birds didn’t disappoint!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfApril 12th, 2018, 5:16 am
Palmyra PA

Welcome back, Spence. Condolences on your recent elevation. After serving as chair of our department for 10 years, I'm aware of the fun administrative duties can bestow. Start grooming a replacement. But don't let him or her know what you're up to, or the jig will be up all too soon.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnApril 12th, 2018, 8:21 am
Novi, MI

Thanks for the advice Louis...You and I both know where I'd rather be, or what I'd rather be talking about. I should be wandering around in the woods somewhere, or wading in a stream!

Went out yesterday and saw a Whooping Crane that has wandered off course down near the Ohio border. Last weekend we went down to southern Illinois to watch the Greater Prairie Chickens strut their stuff. Told the boys we were going to have to up our game.

This winter will not let up here. Today it may hit 60, but its been cold. Not sure what effect this will have on our rivers, but I may still have Hendrickson's in late May when I'm in Grayling!

Saw Ann Miller speak at an Orvis shop over this way Tuesday evening. You ever tie up any of those patterns she has in the back of her book?

Hope all is well on your end.

Spence

StrmanglrApril 12th, 2018, 11:05 am
Spence, if you haven't already, how about spreading the word in your club about Troutnut.com?

It's a little quiet in here and could use some more contributors.

Btw, I got a reading of 72° in the Jeep for today. I think we've finally made the turn.
Jmd123April 12th, 2018, 4:58 pm
Oscoda, MI

"This winter will not let up here. Today it may hit 60, but its been cold. Not sure what effect this will have on our rivers, but I may still have Hendrickson's in late May when I'm in Grayling!"

Gonna be a very slow early season. Last week our nights were down in the teens...All the folks from downstate are going to come pouring in for the trout opener (two weeks from Saturday) and they're gonna get cold, wet, and mostly skunked...we are supposed to get 5-8 inches coming up this weekend, after a half-inch of rain tonight. The consolation is that our morel season should be outstanding with all of this April precip we're having!

My boss and I were going to troll the mouth of the Au Sable for lakers tonight but bagged it because of shifting winds...Would have been a cold, miserable night on the lake.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfApril 12th, 2018, 7:36 pm
Palmyra PA

Spence, I treasure that little book you brought for the Pennsylvania boys, and have consulted it many, many times. I don't know if I've tied any of the patterns, as the things I tie somehow evolve from what I read and see in my buddies' fly patches when they don't see me peeking. But the book's a gem, full of all kinds of useful information. Warmest wishes for some good hatches soon. We have a few bugs already.

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnApril 15th, 2018, 3:40 pm
Novi, MI

Louis.

I’ve been thinking about a return to PA. I had a wonderful time.

Also thinking about that trip to the Catskills with Eric and Tony. I think I let those trout off easy. I need to make a more serious run at them! I think the bird nerd had his head up his ass on that trip and didn’t focus properly on the task at hand.

You know I’m partial to those Pennsylvania Boys. 😉

Spence

Started with freezing rain this morning, then rained all day. The yard is a soggy swamp.

MartinlfApril 15th, 2018, 3:58 pm
Palmyra PA

Spence, you're always welcome! I fished Penns today in a fierce wind, punctuated by sleet and rain. But the fish cooperated sufficiently. I'm thawing out now. Tight lines, my friend.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchApril 15th, 2018, 4:17 pm
York & Starlight PA

Louis,you are a courageous guy to go out and fish in those conditions. Yesterday until noon I was in Antigua with 82 degrees and blue skies. Not a drop of rain for six days and everyday 80 - 84 degrees. I'm freezing here at home now. Still waiting to make my first trout trip of 2018. Hoping for some days at least in the 60's soon.
MartinlfApril 16th, 2018, 4:33 am
Palmyra PA

Matt, I hope you caught some fish in Antigua. But you didn't have to rub it in about the warm weather. :) Thank God for fleece and nylon, though. I've been working on my techniques for catching fish in wind this spring. Seriously. It may help get me ready for the Delaware. This week is looking like a bust with the rain; perhaps by Wednesday or Thursday. Tight lines.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchApril 16th, 2018, 5:52 am
York & Starlight PA

Louis if you can get a day off during the week and the weather is nice I'd enjoy doing a float with you on either the WB or main. I might need a little help launching the Hyde though.

Once the weather settles down I will be going up early Wednesday mornings and leaving for home on Saturday mornings. I doubt I will go up before May 01.
Jmd123April 16th, 2018, 6:11 am
Oscoda, MI

Snow guys, snow...that's what I'm looking at right now. Wondering if I should pull out my Christmas music and go cut another little fir tree...Louis, you're a tough man, that's all I can say!

Jonathon
WbranchApril 16th, 2018, 3:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

I’ve been thinking about a return to PA. I had a wonderful time.

If you do decide to do another PA trip and get up to the Delaware for a few days I would be pleased to take you out for a float in the Hyde.
OldredbarnApril 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm
Novi, MI

Thanks Matt. Too bad you didn’t smuggle us down to Antigua! 🌞

Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.