Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Help!!! Which pack

Flyfish1113March 18th, 2018, 1:31 pm
PA

Need so,excited advice on a new pack/vest. I can't decide between a sling pack or hip/waist pack. Sling packs I'm looking at are the fishpond summit the simms waypoint and the umpqua steamboat 1200 . Hip packs are fishpond Gunnison guide simms waypoint and umpqua le
dges 650zs. Any thoughts from you guys?
Jmd123March 19th, 2018, 6:20 am
Oscoda, MI

Still using my original Orvis sling pack that I got 8 years ago! It could use a few minor repairs but other than that it has held up to some hard fishing. I like the sling style and it really does slide back out of your way when you're done with it.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchMarch 19th, 2018, 1:34 pm
York & Starlight PA

Flyfish1113,

Any thoughts from you guys?

Yes, For my day in and day out trout fishing I only wear a traditional fishing vest. I like the Simms model that costs around $100-$125. For smallmouth bass fishing I wear a Bass Pro Chest pack. It is big enough for one 4" x 6" fly box and one 3"x 4" fly box. Plus there is plenty of space for leaders, tippets, split shot, clippers etc. For steelhead and saltwater where I never wade deeper than mid thigh I sometimes wear a cheap Cabela's waist pack. It has three big sections and some smaller ones. More than enough space for all the steelhead or bonefish/permit flies you could ever possibly need.

I've worn a typical fly vest for about sixty years and for me to get the kind of organization I want nothing beats a well designed vest.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JbarrettMarch 26th, 2018, 9:29 am
I could start my own fly shop with all the bags,packs and gear tried in an effort to find One that does it all. I've had slings ( orvis, Simms, Patagonia, and fishpond) also a variety of hip packs. I like the sling for ease of use and capacity, the Fishpond Summit is probably the best one for comfort IMO. I did like the older style Orvis sling they discontinued but that had shortcomings for me because it never sat level when spun around.

I sold all my slings however because they are worn one way, over the right shoulder and started to bother me when loaded up, or after a full day.
I now use hip packs and can wear it as a sling ( on either shoulder) and when loaded can use the hip belt for support. Plus on the FP lumbar packs and Simms there's a net slot that actually works and is reasonably comfortable with a net....Sling packs may have the sleeve but its like wearing a 2 by 4 on your back and very uncomfortable. You can use a retractor or magnet for a smaller net on a sling that does work well.

I have a gunnison hip pack as of 1 week ago that's pretty slick for general use. Time will tell how I like that one. My go to pack is a Fishpond Thunderhead lumbar pack that replaced a well worn Patagonia Stormfront hip pack. These are the ones I use when on trips, in a kayak or weather. For my purposes they are the best so far. Still on the hunt for one that does it all though!

Hope this helps a bit....Its very frustrating trying to find actual reviews of gear these days not done by the manufacturer or pro's sucking up to the manufacturer. You cant go wrong with the Fishpond Summitt or Gunnison for quality, durability and comfort.
Simms makes a solid product too but personally I'm not a fan of the way they section packs and use their take on the workbench/ removable floatant/tippet holders. I prefer Fishponds design, you may like simms better.
Jon
MartinlfMarch 27th, 2018, 4:38 am
Palmyra PA

What a thoughtful helpful response! I am liking a Umpqua chest pack these days, but everyone is certainly different.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.