Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A Tale of Two Fly Rods

WbranchAugust 13th, 2007, 5:38 pm
York & Starlight PA

Today when as I was leaving the stream I noticed a guy even older than me (and that is old!) who was fishing a little pool. We exchanged pleasantries and chatted about the beautiful day and our success. Then I bid him good day and walked back to the car, about a 1/4 mile distance.

I should mention I'd promised my wife I'd run some errands for her and I was already running late. When I got back to my car I noticed his car was parked right next to mine and sitting out on the hood was one of those magnetic rod holders. The one where one magnet sits on the hood and the other on the roof of the car.

In the rod holders were two rods and reels. I didn't want to get too close as I didn't want the owner to happen to walk back then and have him think I was going to pilfer the rods and reels. The reels looked like either Orvis CFO's or Hardy LRH's. I couldn't make out the rod but both looked to be 8' - 8.5' and both were strung up but secured with little bungee type elastics fastened to the rod holder.

I thought about going back to find the fellow and mention it to him but thought then maybe he knew they were there and he was just a trusting soul. But then if I'd walked back to the creek, located him, and walked back to my car it would of consumed at least another 45 minutes that I just couldn't spare.

I'm wondering what you guys would of done if the circumstances were the same for you. I don't feel badly that I didn't go search him out and tell him about it, but I do wish I'd not had to be home before 5:30.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WiflyfisherAugust 13th, 2007, 5:52 pm
Wisconsin

I have seen that type of rig before and I figure the person knows and is a very trusting sole.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
TaxonAugust 13th, 2007, 6:07 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Wbranch-

Given the same circumstance, but absent the commitment you described, I would probably have tried to decide the relative lilelihood of his having left the rods on purpose, as opposed to accidentally, and based my action on that assessment.

However, given the commitment you made to your spouse, as long as the only thing seemingly in jeopardy was material possessions, as opposed to bodily harm, I would have done the same thing you did.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
WbranchAugust 13th, 2007, 6:10 pm
York & Starlight PA

Roger,

"the only thing seemingly in jeopardy was material possessions, as opposed to bodily harm"

Or worse yet tell me I couldn't go fishing tomorrow!
TaxonAugust 13th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Wbranch-

I probably didn't express myself adequately. I meant possible bodily harm to your careless fishing companion, which might be incurred by your not walking back to warn him, not possible bodily harm to you, if you didn't deliver on your spousal commitments.

In any event, I sure hear you with regard to making certain you won't do anything that might jeopardize future fishing trips.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutAugust 14th, 2007, 1:39 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I wouldn't have gone back and said something, either. If the rod was just laying loose on the top of the guy's car, or in some other position that screamed "oops," then I would have said something. But since it was in a holder, it was surely intentional.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyPAugust 14th, 2007, 7:13 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

had i known for sure that theft had occurred at that place, and that the pleasant angler was not from around there, i might have gone back. however, it was Monday, it was not on the main road (was it?), and you had pressing obligations. you did it just right.

what is admirable is your concern for your brother angler--a trait valued and shared by the majority of fly fishermen, i think.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
WbranchAugust 14th, 2007, 10:16 am
York & Starlight PA

I and the other gentleman were parked in a gravel parking area under a stand of trees. No one passing by on the rural road would have been able to see the rods on the vehicle and the only other people who go in there are other fly fishers. Considering it was 4:00 p.m. it was extremely unlikely that anyone would come to fish as this creek has quite small, has low water, and is not known to have very many evening hatches.
Jmd123August 16th, 2007, 7:30 pm
Oscoda, MI

I certainly hope the gentleman never loses any of his fishing gear through thievery or neglect. However, the security of his rods is HIS responsibility, and if he is trusting enough to leave them in a rack OUTSIDE his vehicle, that's his responsibility too.

I think the majority of fly fishers are a noble group that would never steal anything. That said, see my post in the "cheap rods, high performance" thread about the guy who forgot his $700 Sage and that it was GONE when he went to look for it. Who in their right mind would forget a $700 ROD???? Still, it would have been very nice if he found it where he left it, but it's really nobody's fault but his. Anything that expensive is going to be irresistable to some stupid soul of lessor morals.

Secure the gear and it won't walk away from you...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
ObtuseangleAugust 28th, 2007, 8:28 pm
Posts: 6I probably would have done as you did. In some parts of the Country, especially when it comes to older folks, not much thought is given to theft. He is probably just exhibiting a trust in others that may seem out of date in 2007.

In your case, his trust was justified.
LamAugust 29th, 2007, 8:51 am
Lancaster, PA

You should have smashed one of the rods and left a note for him that he got off lucky this time. Someone's never too old to learn a lesson, even if it's the hard way.

Just kidding,

I am sure you did the right thing. I know an old timer that has a pvc tube on the roof of his car. He slides his rod into it and there is a cut out spot that the reel fits in. A small bungie holds it all in place. It is ALWAYS on his car.
Shawnny3August 29th, 2007, 3:23 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Another idea: Assuming the guy is at least somewhat local, steal his rods and leave a note in their place with your contact information on it. Politely give back the rods when the guy calls and let him know you were concerned that someone less responsible might steal them and forget to leave a note. He'd probably get the point.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.