Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > CDC winged dun

Wbranch has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
WbranchJune 3rd, 2017, 11:50 am
York & Starlight PA

Tim.

This isn't a #16 or smaller. I have a bunch but am lazy and don't have the motivation to take a picture of one. This will give you the idea though.

One is a Red Quill #14 and the other is a #14 Hendrickson. It is just as easy to tie a #16 - #20. It takes some practice to get the proportions right and educate your fingers on size #22.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TimCatJune 3rd, 2017, 12:08 pm
Alanson, MI

Beauties! I don't have any CDC feathers at the moment, but do you think snowshoe hare could work? I've tied some bwo spinners with snowshoe hair in 18, but never tried to get that fanned wing with them.

Nice looking flies Wbranch

Edit: I just saw your response on the other post. Thanks for the tips. Never thought about using Z-lon for wings. Nice
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
David82ndJune 3rd, 2017, 1:23 pm
Upstate,New York

Very nice , I think I'll tie some up tonight ,
RogueratJune 7th, 2017, 11:37 am
Matt,

REALLY nice ties, may I ask what dubbing or blend you're using for each one? I recall a thread some years back re; rabbit dubbing and all and you said you preferred beaver? to other furs. Anyway, something to shoot for in the fly quality department, the bar is pretty high here!

Making the shift to late pm on the river, temps headed to high 80's and pushing 90 for the next week or so...Iso's are starting to pop and I'll be staying until near dark and sketchy wading demands coming in. The river reports say we're at late July water levels and flows around here, pretty dry.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
PartsmanJune 8th, 2017, 3:57 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt I have a fly I used this week that looks very similar to yours except mine has elk hair for tail and wing and sort of a palmered hackle brown and grizzly. I'm trying to post pics but new phone and I'm struggling with this thing. This fly was on fire Tuesday, I had a huge brown on for a short time before the hook pulled free, but still cool as the fish came out of nowhere and was noseing the fly along before gently sipping it in at just a little over a rod length away. Boy gently changed in a big hurry, I still managed quite a few good fish for this river on this fly. I will try and get this posted as I would like a id.

Thanks,Mike.
PartsmanJune 9th, 2017, 1:44 pm
bancroft michigan

Thanks to a friend at work with a good book we got it, its a stimulator.
TimCatJune 9th, 2017, 8:29 pm
Alanson, MI

Hey Partsman although I don't think they look very similar, I've used stimulators when I lost my last hopper last year and I'm pretty sure they work as a great substitute FYI.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.