Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New aquatic entomology book for the southeast US

New aquatic entomology book for the southeast US

By Troutnut on May 22nd, 2017, 11:58 am
A group of prominent aquatic entomologists, including longtime Troutnut forum member Dr. Luke Jacobus, have just released a new book, Larvae of the Southeastern USA Mayfly, Stonefly, and Caddisfly Species. It's edited by John C. Morse, W. Patrick McCafferty, Bill P. Stark, and Luke M. Jacobus.

Luke sent me this description for anglers:

Whether your flies are wet or dry, identifying larvae of mayflies, stoneflies, and caddisflies can be helpful for recognizing, and communicating about, the species that live in your favorite body of water. This book enables naturalists, sport fishers, freshwater ecologists, and biomonitoring workers to identify larvae for most species of these insects occurring in and around the southeastern US. Keys for several genera are good for all of eastern North America, and several keys are the first available for their taxonomic group. Previously unpublished stage associations are reflected in the keys, and geographic and habitat distributions are discussed.

I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, but given the previous work of these authors, I'm sure they've put together a good resource for any technically inclined fly anglers fishing that part of the country. Species-specific ID information is especially hard to come by, and this seems like a valuable addition to our very limited resources.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.
Most Recent Posts
Re: large free living caddis rhyacophila?
In the Identify This! Board by Kjfeen (Taxon replied)