Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > kreinik braid

FlytyerinpaApril 2nd, 2017, 6:07 am
Pottsville Pa

Can any body tell me anything about a material called Kreinik Braid ?
IasgairApril 2nd, 2017, 4:38 pm
Colorado

It's not for tying flies if that's what you're thinking. It's for cross stitching.

You may want to try the crochet forum. LOL.
RleePApril 2nd, 2017, 5:05 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

>>It's not for tying flies if that's what you're thinking. It's for cross stitching.>>

I have no idea what it is, but if you Google it, you'll find that it is indeed used for fly tying.

This is the way it often goes and the reason you'll often find tiers prowling the aisles in craft and hobby stores like Michael's, etc. waiting to be struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration.

Other than what we can imagine and then make happen, there really is no limit to what we can decide to call "fly tying materials".

It's part of what makes it fun.
IasgairApril 3rd, 2017, 7:08 pm
Colorado

You got to be kidding? I mean don't get me wrong, but my wife and her mother sew and stuff, and they have it. I personally don't think I'd tie with it, but maybe another would I guess.

I just went into their sewing room, and I stand corrected. Thank you RleeP for pointing this out. Where I went wrong was I was thinking of the Kreinik yarn or something like that. But the braid does come in fine and very fine and looks like it would work well.

My bad, sorry!!
MartinlfApril 4th, 2017, 6:15 am
Palmyra PA

It's sometimes used for midge patterns and is very similar to some of the fancy new threads that have flash in them. Lee is spot on.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsApril 4th, 2017, 9:37 am
Colorado

>>It's not for tying flies if that's what you're thinking. It's for cross stitching.>>

I have no idea what it is, but if you Google it, you'll find that it is indeed used for fly tying.

This is the way it often goes and the reason you'll often find tiers prowling the aisles in craft and hobby stores like Michael's, etc. waiting to be struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration.

Other than what we can imagine and then make happen, there really is no limit to what we can decide to call "fly tying materials".

It's part of what makes it fun.

^^^
I'm a regular Joann's prowler. In fact, yesterday I was there and bought some thick pearlescent mylar braided tubing for XL streamers.
Jmd123April 4th, 2017, 12:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence (OldRedBarn) should be jumping in here any time now, as he is known to haunt craft stores and get strange looks from the ladies...so he says anyway!

Find your fly-tying materials where you find them, whether it be craft stores or roadkill. (Not quite, but I once found a perfectly preserved chunk of deer hide just sitting out in the woods, still have almost all of it - I mean it didn't smell or anything!) The wonderful thing about fly tying is that it is so open to experimentation, and that certainly includes materials. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." So is practicality, I suppose! If a fish will eat it...use it!

"I'm a regular Joann's prowler. In fact, yesterday I was there and bought some thick pearlescent mylar braided tubing for XL streamers." Ah yes, the fish-scale look! I use Krystal Flash and crystal tinsel chenille for the same reason, and have done lots with braided mylar tubing in the past. The tinsel chenille will lose tiny bits of tinsel in the water that look like fish scales knocked loose when a fish hits the fly - a tiny bit more added realism, this really happens when a minnow is hit. Part of the KBF formula, might be part of the reason it works so well!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CaseyPApril 4th, 2017, 4:16 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

i buy my Kreinik braid at a high-end embroidery shop that specializes in needlepoint and other embroidery supplies.

found a glorious greeny/olivey/black-specked color that made an amazingly effective peeking grannom caddis with a tungsten bead and black soft hackle.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
IasgairApril 4th, 2017, 4:23 pm
Colorado

After listening to all of you, I may raid my wife's sewing room or buy fly tying material at Hobby Lobby.
RleePApril 5th, 2017, 4:51 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

>>After listening to all of you, I may raid my wife's sewing room or buy fly tying material at Hobby Lobby.>>

If you do, be sure to pick up some grizzly/white & black barred Craft Fur.
It's a little short for proper smallmouth Clousers/streamers, but is great for the trout sizes, say up to a 3XL #10 or so. It's great stuff and I no longer have to go around with a coat of black marker all over my fingertips from manually barring bucktail or white craft fur with a broad tip black Sharpie.

The only place I've ever seen it was at Hobby Lobby...
PlanettroutApril 7th, 2017, 5:47 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Can any body tell me anything about a material called Kreinik Braid ?

< />

< />

KREINIK C&C BUG – TMC 2499 SP-BLB, #16 - #18...

< />

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
WbranchApril 12th, 2017, 5:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Planettrout,

You surely tie some pretty flies. I've seen some of your fly boxes on other forums and was wondering why you tie so many? Do you break off a lot of fish or do you use very light tippet where break-offs just are the name of the game?

Usually I will tie 4-6 of the same fly and size but no more than that except for a few very effective flies when I go on my annual 12 day Montana trip. I have a C&F fly box with those little foam slits. There are 22 slits per row and I make sure three rows are filled with a #18 CDC caddis. Some just fall apart after catching a couple of trout and others break off when a big fish will run the fly line and 50 yards of backing and bury itself in some submerged aquatic grass. I have seldom found it necessary to use anything lighter than 5X fluorocarbon. Once in a while on a tough fish I will resort to 6X and break them off on the strike or a jump.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PlanettroutApril 14th, 2017, 11:40 am

Wbranch,

I tie for myself, my son and his wife, my youngest daughter and her BF.My ties are all bomb-proofed with use of half hitches and super glue - they don't come apart. I don't experience many break offs using 5x and 6x Seaguar, Stroft and Puglisi "Powerful" for most applications with smaller flies. I also use these,

< />

which add about a lb. to 1 1/2 lbs. of strength to the tippet. I have been using shock gum loops since Andre Puyans made them available out of Creative Sports Enterprises in Pleasant Hill, CA back in the late 70's. When I go to Montana, with my kids, it is usually for at least a month or much longer and I prefer to NOT spend my time tying flies...

PT/TB

WbranchApril 15th, 2017, 6:14 am
York & Starlight PA

Where are they available in the US?
PlanettroutApril 16th, 2017, 5:20 am

Where are they available in the US?

Um...that is a problem. My oldest daughter picks them up for me when she goes to Germany to visit her Mother. At one time, Craig Matthews used to sell them at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone but no more.

My daughter orders them from here when she is there:

http://www.fishingtackle24.de/lng/en/rm-shock-gum-loops.html?xploidID=79dfa21f3b2845cb255b95d05ef71573

They now are packaged like this:

This fishing shop all carries Stroft Tippet in 100meter spools:

< />

PT/TB

WbranchApril 16th, 2017, 5:31 am
York & Starlight PA

Thanks. I Googled it and also saw it was a European product. It will probably cost twice as much to ship it to me than the actual cost of the product. I used to buy shock gum material in little spools and used it when I fished for steelhead and we had to use lighter tippets (5# & 6#) to present low water wet flies. I blood knotted it to my permanent butt section and to the mid section of the leader.
PlanettroutApril 16th, 2017, 5:41 am

Yep...

PT/TB

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.