Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Esopus River Nymphing

AdirmanJune 30th, 2016, 7:22 pm
Monticello, NY

Hey, so I went to the Big E. last saturday, fished for about an hour and a half, caught 2, a small rainbow and a nice brown, probably around 11 inches. Used a 3 fly nymph rig w the coil, worked ok but im thinking that in some of the deeper runs, my flies were not getting down deep enough,negating the efficacy of the sighter. Of course, I could have readjusted by cutting and retying but My feeling is that a thinga ma bobber indy or maybe yarn that is more readily adjustable might be a better option for certain stretches of the E. where profound changes in depth can occur. Some of the holes were like 6ft or more in depth and when it gets the deep, I think a floating surface sighter wouldbe a better choice, what do you think?
TimCatJune 30th, 2016, 8:52 pm
Alanson, MI

I've heard about something called "strike putty(?)" that you basically glob onto your leader. It's supposedly easy to put on and off, but after a while it slides up and down on the line. Those foam sticky indicators are easy to take on and off too, but have the same problem as the putty after the adhesive gets wet after a while. I have been nymphing without a bobber this year. I know I'm missing a lot of strikes but I don't really nymph much anyway. I usually end up fishing emergers/soft hackles when not much is going on on the surface. I need to step my nymphing game up. Ha
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
AdirmanJuly 1st, 2016, 11:19 am
Monticello, NY

Yeah, Ive talked to a few guys who do it entirely by feel, i.e., no indy, not quite there yet myself lol. My feeling is that even if you can have success nymphing entirely by feel, your still gonna miss some strikes, so, say you had a 7-8 fish day w/o and indy, with one on top perhaps you would have caught 11-12.
TimCatJuly 1st, 2016, 2:31 pm
Alanson, MI

Definitely. I've seen underwater videos of trout spitting flies out so fast, there's no way a person could detect it.... Maybe even with an indicator
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
TroutnutJuly 6th, 2016, 4:48 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I've seen underwater videos of trout spitting flies out so fast, there's no way a person could detect it....

Yeah, I can confirm from my work with video that this happens all the time with real debris. Fish sample lots of things that aren't really food and very often spit them out within a tiny fraction of a second.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
AdirmanJuly 6th, 2016, 8:03 pm
Monticello, NY

There is NO WAY youre ever gonna get them all lol!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.