Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Does anyone remember the Sage SPL Center Axis rod?

HistoryCapJune 12th, 2016, 3:41 am
Meridian, Idaho

Back in the 1990's Sage created a 0 Weight (Zero Weight or Aught Weight?) fly rod that had the reel built right into the handle. Does this ring any bells? I contacted Sage and they told me that it was called the SPL Center Axis Rod. I have looked and looked forever for this combo. I remember casting it at a place called Idaho Angler in Boise, Idaho and I've regretted not buying it ever since. After countless efforts I have come up dry. Does anyone have any leads on something along these lines?

Thanks,

Wally
The supreme test of a fly-fisherman is not how many fish he has caught,
not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

> > > > > > >
WbranchJune 12th, 2016, 8:04 pm
York & Starlight PA

I googled it but none came up exactly as you described. There is a #1 weight for sale on ebay but it does not have an attached reel.

Here is the rod you are referring to;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/ldyprod.php
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
HistoryCapJune 14th, 2016, 1:22 pm
Meridian, Idaho

That's it. I actually found a two weight up in Montana, but I've been searching for that zero weight for years.

Thanks for letting me know,

Wally
not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

> > > > > > >
Chris2August 22nd, 2016, 8:02 pm
Posts: 1I Have a sage 0 weight center axis for sale. PM me for pricing.
TroutradJuly 17th, 2017, 1:03 am
Posts: 1I own 5 of these rods. Started with the 3 weight, and fell in love with it. Saw another come up on ebay, so picked it up...then a 3rd cuz I knew I never wanted to be without it. Then a 1 weight popped up....just HAD to have that; and couldn't do without the 5 weight either. Almost bought a zero weight but it went higher on ebay than I thought it was worth...and with a 1 weight in the stable, kinda didn't need it. I own a dozen other rods and the 3 weight splca is what I would refer to as a perfect rod, the only perfect rod I've ever cast or fished. Perfect balance, light enough to cast all day without noticing, plenty of finesse for light presentation but enough butt to play large fish. Accidentally took it to the Mo (thought I grabbed the 5 weight) and landed a 25 inch brown. Wasn't easy but it held up well. 1 weight is a dream rod for 6-12 inch smaller river/stream cutty's we have in NW montana. If you can find one on ebay...I'll likely be bidding against you. They rarely come up and those I know that own them, would never think of selling them. The SLTCA's are a fine rod too and worth picking up if they come up.
Dillarda17July 17th, 2017, 6:08 am
Annapolis, MD

Hello, I have a Sage SPL line 1 (1wt) thats only been used a handful of times. Im willing to part with it if the price is right. PM me if intrested.
SteveOakesDecember 16th, 2017, 7:30 pm
Sydney, Australia

Hi there, I am selling some rods and reels for my Dad on eBay. I think I will need to sell the different items seperately.

He has in the collection a Sage center axis, I am unsure of the weight though. Looking to sell this off for a good price (not astronomical, just what it should bring).

Can anyone help me find the weight for it? The different items are here on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/312021576497?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Or you may find photos on Dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7065i2n8hm3g0gr/AACNTefoesJzxU0tquHVM-Wna?dl=0
WbranchDecember 17th, 2017, 10:24 am
York & Starlight PA

Hello Steve,

I looked at the Ebay pictures. What is the US dollar equivalent of AU $7500? It might help if you would list the length and model numbers of the Hardy cane rods. They in deed might be quite old. Intermediate wraps as seen on those two rods is archaic and has not been applied to cane rods in over fifty years. Unless however your father had the rods custom built and he requested the intermediate wraps.

Used fly fishing tackle has a huge depreciation rate. If the Abel reels are in "as new" or excellent condition you might be able to get 2/3 of the original value. I would never buy anything on Ebay when the seller is based in another country. Too much hassle with shipping.

I think you need to provide more details. What model numbers are the Abel reels? Same with all the rods, how long, what line weight, what is their condition. You should do some homework and try to learn what they are selling for on other sites. Otherwise you might accept an offer that is low.

I looked at the 56 pictures on the other site and I do know there is quite a following on the early Sage RPL & LL series rods. The Winston rods have spigot ferrules which I prefer over the more common tip over butt type ferrules. The spigot ferrules offer a smooth transition from one rod section to the next and I think they are inherently stronger. The big brass Farlow reel could easily be over 50 years old, maybe much older. Also the Hardy Perfect could be a very early reel in that series.

In my opinion while you might find a buyer who is willing to purchase the entire collection I would bet that buyer is going to offer a very low price because he would probably then try to sell the rods and reels separately. I know you will get a better price if you sell each rod and reel as a separate Ebay listing. I would try and find an expert to give you values on the two old reels and the two cane rods. There are quite a few classic and collectors web sites on the Internet that specialize in old cane, fiberglass, and graphite rods as well as old, and not so old, fly reels. Good luck!

RogueratDecember 18th, 2017, 7:16 am
A tangent on the Sage thread but Lamson just released a center axis rod/reel combo, thus proving the old adage 'everything old is new again...'

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
SteveOakesDecember 18th, 2017, 4:59 pm
Sydney, Australia

Thanks for the help fellas.

So I have now advertised the RPLs and SPLs as seperate items.
I appreciate the help in getting these placed for sale.

Thanks
WbranchDecember 19th, 2017, 2:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Steve,

So I have now advertised the RPLs and SPLs as separate items.

I think you will do much better listing them individually.
MikestrikeDecember 26th, 2021, 3:53 am
Posts: 2Hi, If anyone is still looking, I have a 0 weight center axis never used/mint/original owner. Getting older snd decided to sell this and others. Msg. me uv interested. Thanks. Mike (studia57@hotmail.com
MikestrikeDecember 26th, 2021, 4:01 am
Posts: 2Selling my 0 weight…never used/mint/original owner. Getting old and time to thin out the collection. Thanks. Mike
HistoryCapFebruary 11th, 2022, 7:59 pm
Meridian, Idaho

Back in 2016 I put the following on the troutnut.com website:

Back in the 1990's Sage created a 0 Weight (Zero Weight or Aught Weight?) fly rod that had the reel built right into the handle. Does this ring any bells? I contacted Sage and they told me that it was called the SPL Center Axis Rod. I have looked and looked forever for this combo. I remember casting it at a place called Idaho Angler in Boise, Idaho and I've regretted not buying it ever since. After countless efforts I have come up dry. Does anyone have any leads on something along these lines?

Thanks,

Wally

I see that a couple months ago you had something I might be interested in.

I would love to hear from you,

Wally

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

> > > > > > >

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.