User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > WI contingent

Page:1234...7
WiflyfisherJuly 26th, 2007, 4:19 pm
Wisconsin

Louis wrote on PA contingent thread:

This is pretty cool. I hope everyone will identify her or himself and let us know from where they hale.

Well, I figure that is a great idea but us cheeseheads need our own space.

So for my fellow WI fly fishers it would be great hear who is from Wisconsin.

You can learn more about me by clicking on the link below. (It beats typing it all over again.)

http://www.wiflyfisher.com/about.asp

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
FalsiflyJuly 27th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Hayward, WI.

Thank you John for openning this discussion.I hope to redeem myself.It seems that my last post on the most interesting topics has shut that discution down.Come on guys can't I stretch the truth just a teensy weensy bit just for fun.I mean who carries a valve core tool in their gloove compartment? Even a cheesehed deserves a break. I hope.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WiflyfisherJuly 27th, 2007, 3:54 pm
Wisconsin

Never heard of a valve core tool, so don't sweat it.

The White River has always been dear to me, but the pressure that little river has received in recent years has definitely effected the trout habit and fish population, especially around Delta.

Hopefully E. album (or is it luekon?) will be starting so we will have some good late evening blizzard hatches to fish.

John S.
WbranchJuly 29th, 2007, 2:57 pm
York & Starlight PA

I'm not a WI guy but was wondering how the Kinnikenic (excuse my spelling) is fishing just over the border from MN. I fished it years ago and always wondered if it would get more crowded over the passage of time.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WiflyfisherJuly 30th, 2007, 1:19 pm
Wisconsin

I haven't fished the "Kinni" in years either. Here is a little write up on the river http://www.rfchamber.com/the_kinni.htm.
John S.
GetyourboneApril 4th, 2008, 9:05 pm
Baldwin, WI

Just thought I would give this thread a bump for all of the Wisconsinites.

Hope everyone has their flyboxes full and waders patched.

Although I haven't fished much the last few years, I call the Rush my home river(lived at stonehammer bridge in the little white shack that is no longer there for a few years). Unfortunately when I got married my wife wanted indoor plumbing and a "normal" heat source.

Lawton is back to being open under new ownership and rumor has it they are open for breakfast in the mornings.

I hear the rush now has enough natural reproduction that they are not going to stock it anymore? Anyone have additional info on this?

I also believe I heard that the land trust has purchased a parcel south of El Paso?

anyway, Good luck this season!

Steve

FalsiflyApril 5th, 2008, 12:50 pm
Hayward, WI.

To the WIguys,

I just got back from a month of fishing New Mexico’s San Juan River. With a little free time still on my hands I decided to check out my local water, the Namekagon. I took a drive between Hayward and Cable and found the water flowing high and clear with bank ice. Definitely fishable and being fished. The weather this week has been sunny with temperatures in the high 40s to high 50s, and the snow is going quick. I visited this site http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?05331833 and found real-time water flow and temperature statistics. As of this week water temps have hit a day time high of 46.4 and falling to a night time low of 35.6. Since Apr.1 water flow has increased from 72 CFS to a high of 105 CFS. I purchased my Sportsman’s license and stamp today and will be on the water tomorrow.

Check out the web site, it has stats for many WI. Rivers.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
TroutnutApril 5th, 2008, 7:08 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Let me know how it goes, Falsifly! I loved the early-season fishing there when I had the chance.

Up here, the rivers are still frozen over and it's snowing. We had a pretty good thaw in the last week but not enough. I just got home from skiing, actually.

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
FreepowApril 7th, 2008, 4:59 pm
menomonie, WI

I've been fishing the Rush River pretty frequently since the early season opener March 1st. I usually fish the stretch from between hwy 72 and hwy 29 including El Paso and a couple other spots. The fishing has been great with more surface action than I was expecting. I am still pretty new to fly fishing so I can't comment on how the river is compared to prior years but I can certainly tell you that it gets plenty of traffic. I rarely go out without seeing many cars (mostly Minnesotans, which is fine - I understand their desire to get on good water).

I've consistently been catching more and more fish as the water temp increases, although on high temp days there has been an awful lot of heavy melting which seems to cloudy up the river a little after mid-day. I'm pretty sure the majority of the snow is melted now and we shouldn't encounter this too much more. I've caught a few nice Browns...yesterday I caught 3 12"ers and a couple weeks ago I caught a 14"er. I am so glad the season is here and I can start to get outside more and more. Does anyone know anything about the Duncan or McCann creeks near Baldwin??? I do love the Rush River but need to find a couple other places near Menomonie/Eau Claire to try out. I'd really love to get out with someone who is willing to share years of fly fishing experience with me so I can verify that what I am doing is right or not. If anyone is interested please send me a message. Take care all.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
GetyourboneApril 7th, 2008, 6:03 pm
Baldwin, WI

Freepow,

the Rush river clean up is coming up on the 19th. That would be a great time to meet some others. Give Lost creek a try if you haven't been there already. A great little brookie stream.

I am just a hack. I fished alot about 12 years ago but haven't done too much since then. I did talk my father into buying 135 acres along the Rush a few years ago but even that has not got me on the river as much as I thought it would. The land includes about 1500 feet of frontage on both sides of the river. I am going to try to head down there tomorrow and/or wed. if you want to meet up? It is near lost creek so it would be possible to hit both without too much trouble

let me know

Steve

FreepowApril 7th, 2008, 9:03 pm
menomonie, WI

I am intending to go to the clean-up...I hadn't thought about meeting people, I just wanted to give back to the river as much as it gives me. As for fishing...I won't be out until the weekend. Probably Saturday depending on the weather...if Sat looks bad then Sunday...if they are both bad, I'll take the better of the two. If you are out then, I would look forward to meeting up. I have fished the Lost creek a bit but wasn't able to find a great spot. Perhaps you would have some tips for me. Brookies are my favorite. Talk to you soon.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
FalsiflyApril 7th, 2008, 10:01 pm
Hayward, WI.

Let me know how it goes, Falsifly! I loved the early-season fishing there when I had the chance.

Gee thanks Jason,
You have forced me into a rather precarious situation, that being a response. I feel like a Kodiak Brown backed into a corner, from which I will try to extricate myself with the ferocity of same. The delay of my responce is due to the fact that I have been pondering my reply for the last two days. At first I thought I would say that I slayed them, but I figured I would be branded the biggest BSer on this site. Next I considered saying that I did OK and caught a few, a dubious response to say the least. It was then that I started to examine my personal integrity. No, I was not about to trap myself into a tangled and deceitful web of the common trout fishers fallacious bragging, or even leave the door open to the possibility of truth shrouded in question. The fact is, I never caught a fish. Now, before you (all of you) the judge and jury pass sentence on my fishing acumen, please allow me to present mitigating circumstances in defense of my credibility. The following story I swear is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.

Saturday night was met with the most sincere intension of fishing Sunday. As is habit on Saturday nights I departed home at 5:00 PM for my favorite supper club the Chippewa Inn. A night spent conversing with Tom the owner and a myriad of frequent patrons, centered around the indulging ingestion of the once prohibited kind. As I walked in and took my seat, yes I do have my own seat, I was met with a most pleasant surprise. There at the bar waiting for me was, can you guess? Yes my fly tying buddy Jack. I think some of you may have heard of him. I hadn’t seen Jack in quite a while. As mentioned earlier in this discussion I had just returned from New Mexico, a trip in which Jack was not invited. I do take my fly fishing seriously. Well, the last thing I remember was pulling into the drive and the atomic synchronized clock in the Tahoe displaying 2:30. Time does fly when you are having fun. And no Jack wasn’t with me I left him wasted at the bar. I awoke Sunday morning bright and early, I think it was 10:30. I figured there was no rush, early season fishing doesn’t turn on until mid day. I took a quick look outside and found the sky overcast with the threatening look of snow or rain or a mix of both. I eyed the outside thermometer closing one eye for a more accurate read and saw the mercury descending from an already cold 35 degrees. At this point I opted for a return to the horizontal position to ponder my foggy mental dilemma. The recent trip to the San Juan started as a pin prick in my memory and expanded to orgasmic proportion. The beautiful cloudless days. The temperatures in the 60s. The preponderance of prolific and predictable Diptera hatches of the diminutive size. The huge artistically painted Rainbows stretching the limits of the backing and leaping to create a prismatic aerial display synonymous with its name. The number 26 black midge imitation firmly secured in the corner of that cavernous mouth, the fly almost invisible to the naked eye, the same fly I tied the previous night. The fish that zoomed past me at lightning speed within inches of my leg as I lifted the rod and spun around to maintain control only to wrap the fly line around my neck.

As I succumbed to consciousness drifting slowly from my watery dream a nascent thought took hold. Why ruin a perfect day? No Jason, not only did I not catch a fish, I didn’t even go fishing. So you be the judge, affix to may name anything that you deem appropriate. I will take solace in the last thing That Jack said to me. There is always tomorrow.

Falsifly
TroutnutApril 7th, 2008, 10:37 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Well, there's an original fishing story!

The fact is, I never caught a fish. Now, before you (all of you) the judge and jury pass sentence on my fishing acumen, please allow me to present mitigating circumstances in defense of my credibility.

To those familiar with it, the word "Namekagon" is always, by itself, a sufficient mitigating circumstance for not catching any fish. Perhaps you should have stopped there... ;)

As I succumbed to consciousness drifting slowly from my watery dream a nascent thought took hold. Why ruin a perfect day? No Jason, not only did I not catch a fish, I didn’t even go fishing. So you be the judge, affix to may name anything that you deem appropriate.

OK, affixed. (Or, at least, I edited it into your signature.)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GetyourboneApril 9th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Baldwin, WI

Hit the Rush River for an hour or so at about 2 pm.

fish were sipping midges like crazy. I only went to Martell and fished from the bank. a hendrickson looking fly and a BH pheasant tail nymph seemed to work reasonably well. Saw some BWO(16 or 18?) a little larger mayfly with a dark body floated by as well. managed to catch 3 or 4 fish for a total of 24 inches(that's martell for you).

Would have liked to go to the better spots but at $4 for diesel and 10 mpg I just can't justify driving a little further for an hour or two of fishing.

FreepowApril 10th, 2008, 11:30 am
menomonie, WI

I did end up getting out on Wednesday at the Rush as well...sorry I missed you GetYourBone. I went later in the day though and a bit south of Martell. I had a bit of luck and caught 3. They were 12", 10" and 6". All in all, a nice day to get out. Sounds like its going to be nasty weather until next week now though...gonna have to hunker down and tie a few flies in the meanwhile.
WiflyfisherApril 10th, 2008, 2:48 pm
Wisconsin

Jason, so you don't feel bad about being in the frozen tundra. Your ol' home turf...

A BLIZZARD IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS NORTHWESTERN WISCONSIN THIS EVENING...STARTING AROUND 7 PM...AND CONTINUING INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME DANGEROUS VERY QUICKLY THIS EVENING. POWERFUL NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING TO 50 MPH WILL DEVELOP THIS EVENING...ESPECIALLY NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR. THE INTENSE WINDS... COMBINED WITH SNOWFALL OF UP TO 2 INCHES AN HOUR...WILL MAKE FOR TERRIBLE DRIVING CONDITIONS TONIGHT. WHEN THE STORM HITS...IT WILL NOT MOVE IN GRADUALLY...IT WILL HIT SUDDENLY AND WILL BE VERY INTENSE. VISIBILITIES WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES!

TOTAL SNOWFALL THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT IS EXPECTED TO REACH 9 TO 15 INCHES ACROSS NORTHWESTERN WISCONSIN.

I am glad they are getting the moisture and that the white stuff is staying North of me! :)
John S.
FalsiflyApril 10th, 2008, 3:47 pm
Hayward, WI.

Many of you may have heard of or even experienced a blizzard-like hatch. Well, I am in the midst of a blizzard-like spinner fall of the white-fly type.
Falsifly
WiflyfisherApril 10th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Wisconsin

Ah... the white spinner fall...

John S.
MartinlfApril 10th, 2008, 6:18 pm
Palmyra PA

Hey Falsifly, come on down. I'm going to look for some Hendricksons tomorrow, and hope to tie into a few nice fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyApril 10th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Hayward, WI.

MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! THIS IS FALSIFLY HAILING ALL FREQUENCIES SITUATION CRITICAL PLEASE SEND HELP. I REPEAT THIS IS FALSIFLY SITUATION CRITICAL PLEASE SEND HELP!!!
Falsifly
Page:1234...7

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.