Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > WI contingent, Page 6

Page:1...4567
BGrnFlyfishFebruary 11th, 2009, 11:08 pm
Wisconsin

Just a little keep up...I was walking the Big Green River this past weekend and I saw a FEW fish rise..Water was very clear and a bright sunny day out. Midges were hatching everywhere and the count down is on...only 23 days until it begins. Lets hope the snow is gone and rivers are cleared up!! Good luck to everyone and if of you Wisconsin anglers want to hook up and fish I'm always willing!

Seth
Seth-Big Green River, WI
BGrnFlyfishFebruary 11th, 2009, 11:09 pm
Wisconsin

Oh by the way...I'm looking for a summer job maybe learn how to guide and or work in a flyshop?? If anyone has any information or could help me out that would be fantastic. I am a hard worker and willing to learn anything! Thanks again.

Seth
Seth-Big Green River, WI
WiflyfisherFebruary 13th, 2009, 5:40 am
Wisconsin

For a summer job you might try http://www.campfirelodgewestyellowstone.com/. they are right on the gorgeous Madison River just below Quake Lake. They do hire summer help. If I were in school I would do it in a flash.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
BGrnFlyfishFebruary 13th, 2009, 8:18 am
Wisconsin

Thank you for your reply.
Seth-Big Green River, WI
FreepowMarch 13th, 2009, 4:39 am
menomonie, WI

So, did anyone get out for the opener? What were your experiences? Is your home river still pretty washed out or is it returning to normal? I got out for a couple hours on Sunday. I was mostly throwing WBs as the river was quite muddy. It was a beautiful day and I was fully prepared to leave skunked, but on my way off the river I decided to throw at one more bend. Quickly I started to see fish rise to my WB and before I knew it I had a nice 12" Brown on the end of my line. After I released that fish quickly in the cold air, I moved up to a bit of faster water. I threw in and quickly I was attacked by a large fish. He missed my fly at first so I quickly threw in again, only to have him rise again. We played this game for a short bit and then I decided to give him a rest. I fished down further and landed a nice 15" Brown. Then I returned to battle the large Brown. First cast after returning I saw him rise and found him swiftly attached to the end of my leader. After I short battle I managed to land him. My heart was pumping vigorously in my chest as I realized that the fish was over 20". He sure was beautiful and gave me the treat of starting out the season with my best Brown ever! What a day.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
MartinlfMarch 13th, 2009, 2:29 pm
Palmyra PA

Opener? We folks in PA have been catching fish all winter!

Just gotta rib the WI contingent a little, Freepow. Glad you had such a good day!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Logboy73March 18th, 2009, 12:58 pm
Posts: 24Glad to see someone has gotten out. I'm still involved in snowboarding for the winter, but I have been tying some flies to replenish my fly boxes from last summer. How is the water? With all the runoff, it has to be muddy. Did you hit the Rush Freepow? Was the Minnesota Plague there?
If it wasn't for Woolly Buggers I'd probably never catch anything.
FreepowMarch 18th, 2009, 6:02 pm
menomonie, WI

Yup...I hit the Rush, as always. Haven't seen a huge amount of traffic even with the exceptional weather we had last weekend. I'll be out again this weekend so we'll see what happens then. The river is in pretty good shape and as long as the rain stays away I expect it to be real good this weekend. Where are you snowboarding? Why haven't you gotten out yet?
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
GoofusBugMarch 20th, 2009, 4:52 pm
Posts: 31I plan on finally getting out to fish the driftless and Madison area streams in mid-April. What should I be tying?
GoofusBugMarch 21st, 2009, 6:21 pm
Logboy73March 24th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Posts: 24I've been spending a lot of time in Colorado and Utah this winter. Its looking like the first time I wet a line may be in Colorado in a couple weeks. I might try to get out fishing this weekend (brrrr), or at least next weekend before I leave to go snowboarding again. I can't imagine this rain is helping the clarity much right now. At least the crappy weather should keep a few of the mud ducks away for a while. :)
Logboy73March 24th, 2009, 11:20 pm
Posts: 24Goofus, I think many, if not most of us in this thread spend our time in NW Wisconsin on the Rush, Brule, Namekagon, and Kinnikinnick. Why go south and compete with the masses when we can stay up here and only put up with them on weekends?
FalsiflyApril 13th, 2009, 8:05 am
Hayward, WI.

I spent four hours Easter Sunday on the Hayward home water, an absolutely gorgeous day. The only insect activity was the dive bombing stones laying eggs, but not in sufficient numbers to create a rise, for I saw nary a one. Two fish were caught and two lost nymphing a pheasant tail in the deepest fast water I could find. The slow water seemed void of fish.

These two were taken only minutes apart from the same spot.

Of course the biggest one got away which will lead to a story in the not too distant future.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WiflyfisherApril 16th, 2009, 7:01 am
Wisconsin

First trout of season was a brookie, probably from the same waters as Falsifly. I definitely don't catch many brookies in this river.

Lost a couple really big trout fishing slow and deep. Black stoneflies fluttering around, but not enough to capture the trout's attention. The weather is unbelieveable this week!

John S.
GoofusBugJune 30th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Posts: 31Anyone have a hatch chart for the Blue River, near Castle Rock Creek?
FalsiflyNovember 14th, 2009, 9:39 am
Hayward, WI.

Actually, from a Pennsylvanian perspective this beaver thing belongs on the Wisconsin contingent thread. PA was almost shed of the things (none had been seen in 15 years) when the Game Commission imported a mating pair from WI in 1915.

So, it's WI that has to answer for this...:)

Hey WI. Guys, there seems to be a growing consensus over in PA that they aren’t too happy with our beavers. So should this thing get blown out of proportion, and they decide to launch a frontal attack, I urge all of you to protect our beavers at all cost. PA if you want a war you got it!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WiflyfisherNovember 14th, 2009, 2:04 pm
Wisconsin

Bring it on PA!!

Falsifly and me are ready, and we have lots more beavers to send your way too!! And I mean lots!! :)
John S.
FalsiflyJanuary 18th, 2010, 2:10 pm
Hayward, WI.

Hey guys,
It looks like the PA Contingent is planning a party. What do ya say we all get together and crash it?
Falsifly
GutcutterJanuary 18th, 2010, 5:37 pm
Pennsylvania

hey cheeseheads
come on over. we have plenty of water. maybe a bit less now that beaver came here from wisconsin. i didn't know that donny beaver was from wisconsin. we can return him to you at anytime. i'll bet he could find a way to buy the driftless area and make it private...
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MartinlfJanuary 22nd, 2010, 3:15 pm
Palmyra PA

Good one, Gut. You WI guys are welcome anytime; no need to crash. And I by golly hope sometime to get over your way.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Page:1...4567

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.