Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > WI contingent, Page 3

Page:1234...7
WiflyfisherApril 24th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Wisconsin

The river was washed out from a rain up north though and I believe they were seeking more oxygen rich waters to hang in and wait for food to get delivered to them.

Under those early Spring conditions the trout were probably dining on hellgramites and maybe some stonefly nympths that were getting washed into the fast flow from between the rocks. That would get the trout excited enough to swing out while you woolly was passing by. I have had the situation on other WI rivers this time of year. Enjoy it while it lasts!
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
GetyourboneApril 25th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Baldwin, WI

the Rush was fast and muddy today. It is too bad because that hatch that was coming off would have had fish rising. Not a single fish But I did catch alot of debris! I spent quite awhile just catching mayflies and letting them dry out on my sleeve. I would guess it will be a few days before the river will be worth fishing. The water was high enough that lost creek washed out a couple of the bridges abit.
FreepowApril 25th, 2008, 6:31 pm
menomonie, WI

This all is terribly depressing...plus, we are getting a rain/snow mix for the next 3 days so I won't be getting out this weekend. Looks like early trout season will be ending a bit premature this year. I'll have to spend the next week tying up some flies for the regular season. Owell, perhaps a break before the season will do me good.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
GetyourboneApril 26th, 2008, 7:00 am
Baldwin, WI

32 deg. and snow does not make me very happy when it is almost May!
GetyourboneApril 27th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Baldwin, WI

Did a little back road scouting northwest of menomonie today. I don't understand why some of the streams are even listed. water was cloudy enought that I only saw one little brookie. Any of you Menomonie guys fished any of Dunn county?

ps. Rumor has it there has been a very good early morning hatch on a river we all know of.

Logboy73April 27th, 2008, 9:29 pm
Posts: 24There nearest I fish to Dunn is Cady Creek in Elmwood, southwest of town.
If it wasn't for Woolly Buggers I'd probably never catch anything.
FreepowApril 28th, 2008, 7:23 am
menomonie, WI

I've searched all over and have had trouble finding anything worth spending real time on. Many of the creeks are just too small to fly...you could use the ole spinning tackle if you were just looking for a meal, but besides that, I wouldn't suggest them. That, alas, is why I continue to spend $20 a week to drive to the Rush and get my fishing fix.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
WbranchApril 29th, 2008, 4:09 am
York & Starlight PA

Freepow wrote

"That, alas, is why I continue to spend $20 a week to drive to the Rush and get my fishing fix."

I wish I had to spend only $20 to get to my fishing. It costs me $70 to get up and back from my cabin on the Delaware. That sum allows me to drive no more than fifty miles while I'm in the area.

Many, many guys from NJ and PA drive 100 - 200 miles every week to get to the Catskills.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FreepowApril 29th, 2008, 6:39 am
menomonie, WI

Yeah, I realize that was probably a gross understatement after the fact. It's probably more like $50 bucks a week. I do, however, try to reduce my gas consumption by carpooling with a buddy and using my wife's car (as opposed to my truck) whenever possible. The more gas I burn, the worse off the environment is; the worse off the environment is, the worse off the fish are.
FalsiflyApril 30th, 2008, 6:55 am
Hayward, WI.

April 30th,
The regular fishing season opens Saturday and we still have plenty of ice on many of the area lakes. Last night it was cold enough to produce a quarter inch. I have been coming up here for openning my whole life and have lived here for the past 26 years and have never seen it cut this close.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GetyourboneMay 2nd, 2008, 9:20 am
Baldwin, WI

Out on the water tomorrow hell or high water? If the weather doesn't cooperate, I think I may skip saturday and just go on sunday. Already getting lazy. Having the early season kind of helps take the edge off the "NEED" to go.

FreepowMay 2nd, 2008, 4:46 pm
menomonie, WI

I'll be out tomorrow regardless...I don't think the rain will last past noon. The water may be real brown but I don't care. Ya, never know, they may be feeding like crazy. Gotta be on the water to find out...
GetyourboneMay 2nd, 2008, 7:26 pm
Baldwin, WI

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?05355322

Not showing too much of a increase in flow yet.
FreepowMay 5th, 2008, 7:03 am
menomonie, WI

Did anyone get out this weekend? I got out yesterday and had a great day even though the water was quite muddy most of the day. Streamer and buggers were again the flies of choice. I think the DNR may have done a plant because the fish had dull colors and were a standard 12". They also were very active once on the hook leaping into the air far more aggressively than normal. The weather was beautiful and the eagles were very entertaining.
Logboy73May 5th, 2008, 7:28 pm
Posts: 24Were you on the Rush? If so, what stretch? I was gone turkey hunting all weekend.
FreepowMay 5th, 2008, 9:04 pm
menomonie, WI

I was fishin around 570th st. Slab bridge. Man was it busy there too.
GetyourboneMay 6th, 2008, 6:57 am
Baldwin, WI

No fish saturday - too high and fast. not out sunday. 1 nice 15 brown monday morning. Coloring was darker than normal? May have been a Natural? Took the dropper on a PMD emerger/BH pheasant tail nymph combination.

Have been told a Lake up near Glenwood City is a nice little hidden gem.

Hopefully out tonight.

FreepowMay 6th, 2008, 9:25 pm
menomonie, WI

A lake you say??? I will be getting my canoe this weekend. Perhaps a little fishing away from the Rush is in order. Any more specifics on this elusive lake?

I got out the last 3 days. Did well most of the time. Got lucky with some BWOs and buggers again. Best fish was around 14" but I caught a nice little brookie as well. Do you guys ever find brookies when you get to the Rush? River levels are back to normal finally. Clear. Beautiful day today especially. May get out tomorrow too. Not sure yet.
GetyourboneMay 8th, 2008, 4:16 am
Baldwin, WI

Brookies - Yes, I have caught a few, years ago.

Lake near Glenwood city - It is the one listed as trout waters on the trout regulations map. It was a spin caster that told me about it. There is an entrance fee to get into the park but I guess you can park along side the road outside the park and follow the creek in.

Last night I spent about twenty minutes down on pine creek where all the Stream bank improvements are being done. Too windy to cast and not spook the brookies. One 12" brown on the Rush. Very little insect activity where I was.

Logboy73May 8th, 2008, 10:14 am
Posts: 24When finals are over you wanna link up freepow? I caught a few brookies on cady creek the other night. Apparently the day before the caddis hatch was in full swing and they nailed them.
Page:1234...7

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.