Palmyra PA

Nihil est omninio beatum.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyApril 11th, 2008, 10:03 am
Hayward, WI.

Beatus is dies per ultum niveus
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
FreepowApril 11th, 2008, 11:05 am
menomonie, WI

subsisto stilus res in Latin , capit ut ultum opus ut reddo is totus
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
MartinlfApril 11th, 2008, 11:27 am
Palmyra PA

Hic factus est pulchre. Ave etque vale.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchApril 12th, 2008, 11:51 am
York & Starlight PA

Okay now we know you can write in Latin but can you catch fish?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FalsiflyApril 12th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Hayward, WI.

In Spanish I would respond-a veces.
In French-quelquefois, parfois.
In German-zuweilen, mitunter, manchmal.
In Italian-ogni tanto.
Simply put into English-sometimes.

As you can see, I am very limited in my foreign languages. I will gladly accept any corrections. However, please note that my response in English is accurate.

PS. I can only assume that the lack of posts today is because all of you are out fishing. Successfully I hope. I, on the other hand, am knee deep in snow.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
FreepowApril 12th, 2008, 10:55 pm
menomonie, WI

Ahh...but the snow can only hold us back for so long. The sun will shine tomorrow...and the fish will be biting.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
GetyourboneApril 19th, 2008, 9:42 pm
Baldwin, WI

Rush River update.

BWO's everywhere! Soo many fish rising it was impossible to cast to any one fish. So many floating on the water that I had a hard time telling my fly from the real ones. I am not the best at tying flies so I don't really understand why the fish would choose mine over the other 6 or 8 real ones that were within inches. The hatch only lasted about an hour and a half. Started around noon but not sure. Will be back on the river tomorrow!

Logboy73April 20th, 2008, 10:04 pm
Posts: 24Dang, missed the hatch by 2 hours. They started later on Saturday. Guess I didnt account for the warmer weather. I've been fishing just south of Martell with moderate success, if you don't mind walking to get away from the baitcasters. Hopefully tomorrow all the blue license plates will be gone so I can fish downstream!
If it wasn't for Woolly Buggers I'd probably never catch anything.
FreepowApril 21st, 2008, 7:13 am
menomonie, WI

I fished the Rush both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, I got on the water after the river cleanup around noon. The hatch started shortly thereafter. It was explosive. I couldn't believe the action. I caught a few nice 14"s, a nice 12" and a few other fish. Amazing day.

Sunday, early am fishing...couldn't get the fish to bite to save my life. I fished until about noon. Took a break, hoping that the same hatch would wake things up a bit. I saw a few bugs arise (I believe they are Mayfly Duns BWO, but I am new to this so someone please correct me if I am wrong), but it never sparked the feeding frenzy of Saturday. Does anyone know how long it takes fish to digest their meal after they gorge themselves? Could it take an entire day before they feed hard again?
GetyourboneApril 21st, 2008, 8:40 am
Baldwin, WI

Ya sunday was a bit slow. I saw every kind on insect on the water but no hatches of any size. It was such a beautiful day that It is hard to call sunday anything but perfect though. I think the sun may have had something to do with it. The fish haven't gotten out their sunglasses yet.

a bead headed nymph is the only fly other than dries that have worked for me so far this year. Same fly/no bead just isn't doing it. a couple about 13 or 14" was all I managed. Both on 16 dry. I think I might have had better luck if I had dropped to size 18. Someone once told me most fly fisherman generally are fishing with flies one to two sizes too big.

I saw the strangest thing. I was casting up stream and all of a sudden I saw something skimming just under the surface of the water. just like when salmon are swimming up stream in shallow water. It was just under the surface so I couldn't see any of it's body but it sent a spray of water back and forth. the word "fluttering comes to mind. It occurred at the end of some fast water and went from one side of the river to the other and not really up stream at all. I know what a muscrat looks like in the water and I really don't think it was that. The water is pretty deep(3 feet). Any ideas?

Freepow, were you up stream from El Paso? Entered through Mile's new yard on Cty N? Just curious cause he said someone from Menomonie asked for permission.
FreepowApril 21st, 2008, 1:13 pm
menomonie, WI

I saw what I believe was a marmut or ferret or something. It may have been that. Weasel looking with all brown fur.

I was south of El Paso...and who is Miles and how do I get permission to fish his land???
Logboy73April 21st, 2008, 2:34 pm
Posts: 24Just got back from the Rush. Not the best time to fish when the sun is high, but its all I had time for. No hatching that I could see, at least when I was there. The fish are starting to get well educated. I had probably a dozen fish chase my fly but no takers. Mostly 10" and 12", but at least one 15".Didnt matter what I threw at them, they didn't want to eat. They seemed to chase streamers more than anything.
GetyourboneApril 23rd, 2008, 7:29 am
Baldwin, WI

Sorry, I don't want to be responsible for Miles being overrun with people tromping through his land but I will say he is very much a fisherman and doesn't bite. Most fisherman would already be aware of him in a very indirect way. His father had a company in St. Paul that designed and produced most of orvis's bags and luggage. The Green canvas and leather stuff.

I might try and get out today for a couple of hours. The rain a couple of days ago should have muddied up the water just enough to make the fish less spooky. with fuel soo high it is really hard to go unless I can spend most of the day. 4.22 a gallon for diesel and I only get about 10 miles to the gallon. 40 to 80 miles round trip makes it more than a few dollars just in fuel. combine that with only 10 days of work in 4 months and it is starting to get hard to rationalize it. Time for a different vehicle!

Logboy73April 23rd, 2008, 11:59 am
Posts: 24You should start carpooling with the blue license plates coming over the border every day. Theres enough of them on the Rush that somebody could pick you up on the way.
GetyourboneApril 23rd, 2008, 7:54 pm
Baldwin, WI

Was out on the Rush for a couple hours tonight. Water a was slightly cloudy and a little darker because of the rain. I could still see my boots quite well in about 2 feet of water though.

rising fish were few and far between. Tiny midge hatch going on. A few small caddis also seemed to be coming off and I think that was what some of the trout were after.

I need to be less selfish. A couple of fish wanted my fly but I pulled it out of their mouth.

Rain and snow coming in the next few days. I don't think fishing will be too fun until next week.
FreepowApril 24th, 2008, 6:40 am
menomonie, WI

I was there last night as well and had fantastic luck on Woollies and streamers (bright colors). Had an absolute pig on but, after a 4 or 5 minute fight...I lost. I made up for it with a few nice 14"s and a really pretty 11" Brookie. I believe the fish headed for the rapids because that's where I caught everything.

Ya, I heard the snow is coming too. The rain is already here...at least we'll have a week off in between the early season and the regular season to let the river deal with all of this precipitation.
GetyourboneApril 24th, 2008, 8:02 am
Baldwin, WI

I'm curious how you were fishing. Across and down catching them on the swing - just as your line was straightening out? I have had lots of luck with streamers on the Trimbelle(browns) and the Willow(rainbows) but for some reason not on the Rush? Come to think of it, I really haven't spent much time fishing with them on the Rush though. A few years ago I lost all my flies. I haven't replaced any woolies or streamers since. May have to tie a few.

Are you tying your own yet? If not, a few dollars in tools and a couple of stops to get some road kill can save alot of money in store bought flies. One dead muskrat 13 years ago gave me a life time supply of gray dubbing material. I also replenished my turkey feather needs a few days ago. I throw the material in the oven at 275 for the night to kill any unwanted parasites. Dogs and cats around the neighborhood can be a good source as well(no kill or course). Heck even my wife's hair brush has come in handy. Out of foam? A cigarette filter can come in handy in a pinch. tails- paint brush fibers work well. Ya can try your local craft store for peacock, guinea, partridge, wood duck, etc. if there isn't a fly shop near by. Of course it is hard to find a replacement for good dry fly hackle.

Although there is isn't a replacement for good quality tools, FleetFarm has a vise and basic tools for about $22.

Just for the record, Atleast 75% of the money I spend on Flyfishing goes to the local fly shop. I don't think there is a replacement for the knowledge, support and experience you find at a committed fly fishing retailer. I went to Bob Mitchell's yesterday. When I pulled up, Mike(the current owner) was out in the yard showing a gentleman how to cast properly. He is a one man shop. He spent 15 or twenty minutes outside the store with one customer helping him into this wonderful lifestyle. Try finding that at Gander Mountain, Walmart or FleetFarm.
FreepowApril 24th, 2008, 10:00 am
menomonie, WI

It was always down and across...throwing just above the breaks behind the rocks and dragging through the slow pools. The fish would explode just after passing behind the rock. They were all in the rapids and riffles of the river...no slow water. The faster the better last night. I couldn't believe it either...it was the first time that I had experienced that kind of fishing on the Rush. Usually it is in the slower water and on the surface. The river was washed out from a rain up north though and I believe they were seeking more oxygen rich waters to hang in and wait for food to get delivered to them.

I have started tying my own, but I don't have the materials to tie many of the flies that I use. I got a starter kit with a video of the basic recipies last fall and have just been tying whatever looks good at the time for practice and fun. I do need to go buy some specific matierals and start tying specific flies though...I lost a bunch of streamers and woollies last night and for the money I'd spend to replace those, I can purchase materials and tie a bunch of them. Its a lot of fun, but I still have a lot to learn.
BGrnFlyfishApril 24th, 2008, 1:39 pm
Wisconsin

I was just wondering if any of you could tell me where I could catch some Brook Trout in Grant County! I would like to get a little change from the Browns/Bows! Any info. would be great, thanks!
Seth-Big Green River, WI
Page:1234...7

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.